What horror novel/short story are you reading?

Lhowling

Mischief Witch
Registered
Reaction score
I just started Clive Barker's Camal. He's one of my favorites!

Axl Prose

Registered
Reaction score
Being one of the few King novels I've never read, I'm currently plowing through Duma Key. I'm just loving the style and the similarities to some of King's life events; I'm never sure if I'm reading fiction or if King's purposely reaching through.
If that's one of your few of King's, you should without a doubt check out some of his others. Duma was good, but he has many books that are better. His a great storyteller.

King's Doctor Sleep. I can't put it down.
I couldn't either. Following up The Shining are some pretty big shoes to fill, but I think it holds up.

Axl, let me know what you think of it when you finish it, will you? Thanks!

I might pm you if that's ok so not to put too much spoilers out here. I saw your post and 3 stars sounds about right. Not one of my favorites.
*Minor spoilers*
I will say, I thought the first 100 pages or so were outstanding, on par his best stuff. But once the first Act or whatever you want to call it ends, after the terrible sermon when everyone grows up and moves on, it really took a turn I didn't care for, and I just couldn't regroup after that.

Last edited:

Tinman

Registered
Reaction score
I might pm you if that's ok so not to put too much spoilers out here. I saw your post and 3 stars sounds about right. Not one of my favorites.

Sure. PM me. Anyone can send me anything, as long as it isn't spam about erectile dysfunction products; or how time is running out to file a lawsuit if I've experienced death caused by a new medication; or it's a guide to finding a Russian bride (this last one you can send anyway, if the women are really hot).

Last edited:

Feidb

Been Here A While
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fredrayworth.com
I haven't read one in a long time because there aren't any good icky bug stories out there that I can grab off the shelf at Barnes & Noble. Period. I'm constantly on the lookout but it's a rare time when I see one. I have to order through Amazon or whatever and I'm not a huge fan of that. I like to feel and hold the book first. I especially like to leaf through it and make sure it's in third-person, past-tense. I can't stand either first-person or present-tense. Those sample chapters that they give you on line don't always represent what the book might actually be like once you get into it. Some authors like to switch POV styles which is even worse. So, unless I can hold it in my grubby little hands, or know for sure how the author writes, I won't touch it.

CWHs2

Registered
Reaction score
What horror novel/short story are you currently reading?

I just finished Stephen King's Revival. I'll be generous and give it 3 out of 5 stars.

SPOILER ALERT. For some reason, I didn't connect with the MC, that didn't help, and the ending was very dark and depressing.

Finished The Revival yesterday and like you, I give it 3 stars. It wasn't bad...but it wasn't great either. There were some parts of the book where the story didn't seem to be going anywhere and it felt disjointed. I kinda liked the ending, even though it was depressing and pessimistic, and like the MC said (SPOILER ALERT) Jacobs was dying anyway so why couldn't he just wait??

Tinman

Registered
Reaction score
Finished The Revival yesterday and like you, I give it 3 stars. It wasn't bad...but it wasn't great either. There were some parts of the book where the story didn't seem to be going anywhere and it felt disjointed. I kinda liked the ending, even though it was depressing and pessimistic, and like the MC said (SPOILER ALERT) Jacobs was dying anyway so why couldn't he just wait??

CWH, I hope Mr. Mercedes is better (I'm currently number 14 on the Missouri Library Ebook loan waiting list, lol). Lately, I can't seem to find many books that hold my interest. We'll see.

Last edited:

Alma Matters

Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently reading 'Duel' by Richard Matheson.

I got the short story collection and DVD of the movie for Christmas. A double bill so to speak.

I have Dark Harvest by Norman Partridge sat waiting next... anyone read it?

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently reading 'Duel' by Richard Matheson.

I got the short story collection and DVD of the movie for Christmas. A double bill so to speak.

I have Dark Harvest by Norman Partridge sat waiting next... anyone read it?

I've read Dark Harvest. By the end of the story, you realize that the premise kind of doesn't hold up if you think on it too much, but otherwise I found it to be excellent. A swift read, steadily creepy, very good prose, clever but not cute, smart but not overdone.

Niccolo

Registered
Reaction score
I just picked up Offspring by Jack Ketchum but haven't started it yet. Off Season was a pleasant surprise, given how much I usually dislike gore-soaked horror, so I'm pretty excited to start this one.

Alma Matters

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Jcomp - looking forward to getting started on it.

Niccolo - I also really enjoyed Off Season. I won't go into it too much in case others want to read it but found it very gripping and intense.

Would be interested to know how Offspring goes down.

Tinman

Registered
Reaction score
One of the reasons I started this thread was to find novels or stories I was unaware of, particularly ones by writers on AW.

I just noticed there's a forum, AW Library, for stories published by AW authors. It's divided up into interests, just like SYW. I'm sure many of you already knew that, so this post was for writers as blind and clueless as I am..................
Tinman

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
The Devil Rides Out, by Dennis Wheatley.

It's a product of its time with its instances of casual racism. I keep having to remind myself as I read. Also, our hero looks nothing like Christopher Lee. I'm having fun comparing it to the absolutely delightful Hammer film.

Jackx

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Just finished The Grove by John Rector, which was brilliant. Now I'm starting The Others by Thomas Tryon, which I've somehow never read.

NancyGWrites

Registered
Reaction score
American Psycho -- not sure if will be able to keep going when get to the murdering parts from what I've read on GoodReads but we'll see. The MC, Patrick Bateman, is one sick man. Wow.

Dedsquirrl

experimental food product
Registered
Reaction score
Carnacki the Ghost Finder by William H. Hodgson.

It reads like Sherlock Holmes with a supernatual/horror twist.

It's 9 short stories so it doesn't take long to get through. I wish there were more.

CheG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chegilson.blogspot.com
I'm halfway through The Birthing House by Christopher Ransom. So far so good. Teally atmospheric and a unique take on a haunting.

hauntedwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.redbeansanderic.com
I have a lot going. For some reason I can't stick to one book and just get it done. I'm currently listening to the audio book of Joe Hill's HEART SHAPED BOX. I'm over half way done with it and I like it.

I'm reading, NIGHT TERRORS: THE GHOST STORIES OF E.F. BENSON. Between those short stories I read a couple of Susan Hill's stories on Kindle. I just bought William Meikle's (an AWer) book, TORMENTOR, which I'm excited to read.

Plus all the different books on writing. Slowly but surely I'm getting books read and written...

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just got around to T.E.D. Klein's Dark Gods collection, which I'd picked up at a library sale a couple of months back. A few paragraphs into the first story, "Children of the Kingdom" I realized I'd read it before, in the Dark Forces anthology. Moving on to the next story instead of re-reading that one, but even more excited to see what's next, as I remember enjoying "Children of the Kingdom" quite a bit.

Alma Matters

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Jcomp - I also have Dark Gods. So far I've read 'Children of the Kingdom' and 'Petey'. Let me know what you think once you're done.

On the subject of 'Dark Forces' I think it's an excellent collection of short stories.

Last edited:

Red Barchetta

Registered
Reaction score
I recently finished Gillian Flynn's "Dark Places." I loved it. And it was very dark and creepy, yet very interesting.

Feidb

Been Here A While
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fredrayworth.com
I last posted to this thread in January and here it is May and I haven't seen any new icky bug yet, at least at Barnes & Noble. Really sucks. I wish I could say I find stuff on line at Amazon or something, but I like to touch and feel the book before I buy, and I also like to leaf through it to make sure it's solid third-person past tense all the way through. I can't do that on line before I buy. I don't use an e-reader either.

Oh well... still waiting.

Feidb

Been Here A While
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fredrayworth.com
What Lies Beneath by Ryan Lockwood. Reality based icky bug, but still pretty good. Not much else is out there, especially new that's in paper form and available in the bookstore.