Buy books by AWers

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: What horror novel/short story are you reading?

practical experience, FTW

What horror novel/short story are you reading?

What horror novel/short story are you currently reading? I'll give you Rep Points if it's by an AW member (I'm not sure what Rep Points are good for; rumor has it they're like old-time trading stamps -- if you collect 1000, you can trade for a free toaster -- but that might not be true). Please give the story a rating or mini-review, so we'll know if it's any good; I have a hard time finding enough good horror to read. Thanks!!!

I just finished Stephen King's Revival. I'll be generous and give it 3 out of 5 stars.

SPOILER ALERT. For some reason, I didn't connect with the MC, that didn't help, and the ending was very dark and depressing.
    Last edited by Tinman; 11-24-2014 at 06:51 AM.

Cultivate the heart quality. - Ali AW Moderator Jcomp's Avatar
    Just finished John Farris's Nightfall (did not live up to the promise of the first third or so of the book), now reading Stephen Graham Jones's short story collection After the People Lights Have Gone Off. Found the first story to be very good, though I'm a sucker for quiet, emotional horror and fictional small town lore, so I couldn't have resisted the story if I wanted to.

New look for my first-ever book! AW Moderator Calla Lily's Avatar
    Daphne duMaurier's "The Birds" Beautifully atmospheric. Quite different from the movie.

practical experience, FTW Niccolo's Avatar
    Just finished The Stepford Wives. Ira Levin has never disappointed me. I thought it was wonderfully creepy. Reminded me a little of The Cormorant.

I'm about to finish Dracula, and I'm split about 50/50 on whether or not the Count's creepiness makes up for Mina being so goshdarn annoying.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Just finished Under the Skin. Dark, satirical, and also funny at times, which I wasn't expecting. An interesting read, especially if you've seen the film, which is darker and more austere.

Just started 77 Shadow Street by Koontz- to my probable deep regret later (by that I mean the end). I'm so very much NOT a Koontz fan and was totally burned by the last book my mother was all "You have to read this." But I found it in the back seat of her car and took it anyway. Mostly because I LOVE haunted houses and haunted apartment buildings are even better so I couldn't pass it up.
    Last edited by CheG; 12-17-2014 at 05:49 AM.

Website
    Twitter
    Facebook
    ALL My Books
    Carmine Rojas: Dog Fight is---'An explosive mix of gangsters, guns, monsters, magic and mayhem, with dark and gritty action that right-hooks you from page one. Wonderful!' --- Suzanne McLeod, author of the Spellcrackers urban fantasy series.

AW's resident Velociraptor ShaunHorton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CheG View Post
    Just started 77 Shadow Street by Koontz- to my probable deep regret later (by that I mean the end). I'm so very much NOT a Koontz fan and was totally burned by the last book my mother was all "You have to read this." But I found it in the back seat of her car and took it anyway. Mostly because I LOVE haunted houses and haunted apartment buildings are even better so I couldn't pass it up.
    Koontz is very hit or miss for me. 77 Shadow Street is good, but parts of it feel like he's trying to channel Micheal Crichton. It hits the target for me, but it's not a bulls-eye.

I've had Dead Sea by Tim Curran sitting on my kindle at 45% for the past four months. Everyone tells me it's good, and I keep meaning to go back to it, but I just can find no will to do so.
    My weekly blog
    My Amazon Author Page
    Twitter
    Facebook

It's out! Hannah is finally out of my hands and on Amazon!

"Is there something seriously wrong with you?"
    "Well, yeah, but that's kind of the point."

I think I'm going to chain together Salem's Lot and Dracula before going on an exorcism kick.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartholomew View Post
    I think I'm going to chain together Salem's Lot and Dracula before going on an exorcism kick.
    Lol. Chain theme reading. I might have to try that, the idea had never occurred to me.

You should go for the trifecta. Read They Thirst by Robert R McCammon -- which might be the best of the three.
    Last edited by Tinman; 12-17-2014 at 12:09 PM.

I'm reading The Wine Dark Sea by Robert Aickman. So far, my favorite story is "Growing Boys". I'm dying to talk about it with someone! Anyone?

practical experience, FTW Axl Prose's Avatar
    Just started King's Revival.

only knows enough to be dangerous PEBKAC's Avatar
    NOS4A2 by Joe Hill. I'm about half way through and enjoying it quite a bit.
    "Oh my God! I got Grandma in my eyes!"

NF horror, actually: Dead Mountain, The Untold Story of the Dyatlov Pass Incident by Donnie Eichar

I'm not generally a NF reader, but this RL mystery is stuffed full of great characters and plot elements and storytelling.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Kevvy711's Avatar
    Just started Stephen king,s "Desperation" the first two chapters have a lot of brutality in them but the book has a way of making keep reading to find out what is going to happen next!

practical experience, FTW Anarchic Q's Avatar
    N0S4A2 by Joe Hill. I like it, but I'm not sure of my thoughts fully yet.
    Do Not Tamper With - My Writing, Art & Reviews Blog
    Wheelchair Seating for the Apocalypse - A horror short story by Q. Published on Spinetingler Magazine.
    Re-Invention - A sci-fi short story by Q. Printed in Make Something Magazine.
    GoodReads

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Axl Prose View Post
    Just started King's Revival.
    Axl, let me know what you think of it when you finish it, will you? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Calla Lily View Post
    NF horror, actually: Dead Mountain, The Untold Story of the Dyatlov Pass Incident by Donnie Eichar
    I really enjoyed that book. I won't spoil it, of course, but I didn't buy his theory. Still an interesting read.

I finished it last night, Dezibela. His theory is plausible, but I didn't buy it either. Too much glossing over of details. When I was reading, we had the Mythbusters marathon on the TV, in time to catch their Halloween show that tested that particular myth.Serendipity! The Mythbusters busted it.

I have coming from Amazon the book from Russia that has all the translated documents available. I want to reach my own conclusions.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Subterranean's Avatar
    Being one of the few King novels I've never read, I'm currently plowing through Duma Key. I'm just loving the style and the similarities to some of King's life events; I'm never sure if I'm reading fiction or if King's purposely reaching through.

I'm also halfway through Horns for the first time as I'd held off reading it for a good while.

Oh, and I'm re-reading The Exorcist, because why not?

Quote Originally Posted by CheG View Post
    I think Koontz is one of the few writers out there who's much better than King. But Koontz really doesn't write horror, he writes suspense, and hardcore horror readers are often disappointed because they're expecting horror, even though he makes it clear that he doesn't.

If you're a true horror fan, Koontz is probably not the writer for you. If you're a true suspense fan, he's the best out there.

Just started reading a horror collection called The Throne of Bones by Brian McNaughton. I've read only part of the first story, but so far, I really like the writing. This collection won the 1998 World Fantasy Award for best collect, but somehow I overlooked it until now.
    Last edited by Jamesaritchie; 01-03-2015 at 09:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Calla Lily View Post
    I finished it last night, Dezibela. His theory is plausible, but I didn't buy it either. Too much glossing over of details. When I was reading, we had the Mythbusters marathon on the TV, in time to catch their Halloween show that tested that particular myth.Serendipity! The Mythbusters busted it.
    I'm pretty happy never knowing for sure. No earthly explanation can be as intriguing as the possibilities.

But I still want to hear what you think after you read the translated docs. Desperately!

OK. 77 Shadow St. was not horrible. It was predictable in the way that all Koontz books are- no dogs or children will be harmed in the making and it WILL end with true love. But the true love was thankfully off screen and it held together. So I am pretty satisfied.

Website
    Twitter
    Facebook
    ALL My Books
    Carmine Rojas: Dog Fight is---'An explosive mix of gangsters, guns, monsters, magic and mayhem, with dark and gritty action that right-hooks you from page one. Wonderful!' --- Suzanne McLeod, author of the Spellcrackers urban fantasy series.

King's Doctor Sleep. I can't put it down.
    http://earthkandi.blogspot.co.uk/
    "I've danced at Abraham Lincoln's birthday bash - I've peaked." Leigh Boswell, The Open Doorway.

Quote Originally Posted by Dezibela View Post
    I'm pretty happy never knowing for sure. No earthly explanation can be as intriguing as the possibilities.

Lily sez: Yes. This. So much.

But I still want to hear what you think after you read the translated docs. Desperately!
    Will do.

It might take me awhile to get through them. My week off from writing is over and I'm back on deadline. But I *will* read them and come back here to report.

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast