What horror novel/short story are you reading?

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
A reread of King's JERUSALEM'S LOT, for a blog post I'm doing about it.

Odd coincidence. I'm just getting to the ramping up escalation part of 'Salem's Lot as well, as part of my "comprehensive" reading of the Dark Tower. I'd never read the book before, but I finished Wizard & Glass and was advised to read a bunch of books, including 'Salem's Lot, Insomnia and Hearts In Atlantis to name a few, before jumping into Wolves of the Calla and seeing the series through to its end.

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
Odd coincidence. I'm just getting to the ramping up escalation part of 'Salem's Lot as well, as part of my "comprehensive" reading of the Dark Tower. I'd never read the book before, but I finished Wizard & Glass and was advised to read a bunch of books, including 'Salem's Lot, Insomnia and Hearts In Atlantis to name a few, before jumping into Wolves of the Calla and seeing the series through to its end.

Different story... I was reading JERUSALEM'S LOT, the first short in his NIGHT SHIFT collection.

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
My mistake. Didn't realize he had another story called that. I thought you were just writing out the full, proper name of the town.

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
Different story... I was reading JERUSALEM'S LOT, the first short in his NIGHT SHIFT collection.

Strangely enough, NOW I too have also read Jersualem's Lot, as it was included along with one other 'Salem's Lot related short story right at the end of the edition of 'Salem's Lot I have. I had no idea it was there, but it was an interesting complement to the existing lore.

Esmae Tyler

This & That
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished reading The Library at Mount Char by Scott Hawkings. I'd had it on my waiting list at the local library for months and serendipitously it became available just about the time AW went down. I had zero clues that the author is a critical role member of the AW team (like, is the guy who helped move the server this past week) so there's that in its favor. Apparently it gets very broadly categorized as contemporary fantasy but it is absolutely very elegant horror as well - a bit like The Night Circus and Lovecraft getting drunk at a barbecue.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Finished Peace by Gene Wolfe, suspect it belongs in horror (but how does one classify it?)

*Phew!* That was a tough one! There's this guy who's kind of cranky, he lives in a weird house, and there's this egg his aunt wants to buy at one point. Obvious masterpiece. :)

David Odle

Chasing the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.davidodle.com
About finished with The City Of Mirrors by Justin Cronin, the final book in The Passage trilogy. Phenomenal.

My favorite premise is the apocalyptic scenario, so I'm pretty jazzed to start Nora Robert's, Year One.

Phoenix_Writer

Registered
Reaction score
I am reading "Demon Road". It’s about a girl who finds out her parents are demons. She escapes, makes a road trip through Amerika and follows (duh!) the demon road. While this trip she meets supernatural creatures. More I don’t spoil!

Feidb

Been Here A While
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fredrayworth.com
The Night Parade by Ronald Malfi. It was a boring literary character study with a bummer ending. It dragged and dragged and dragged and there was no real payoff in the end. Well, there was sort of, maybe, but I never saw it and I'm certainly not willing to suffer through a sequel to find out. I'm sure Stephen King would've loved it.

WriterJosh

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished A God in the Shed by J-P Buleau and it was very interesting. A modern gothic horror, it focused on a teenager who inadvertently traps a Lovecraftian horror in her back-yard shed. I liked how the book starts off with a murder investigation being wrapped up and the dark god being captured, and it's only after that that the really bad stuff starts. Also, he created a character that had my sympathies from the start and I only realized about halfway through that he was not a protagonist at all.

I recommend it, for sure.

NathanCosby

Registered
Reaction score
I just started reading a 1975 novel called The Sentinel by Jeffrey Konvitz. I'm only about fifty pages in, but as far as I can tell it's about a religiously confused model who moves into a very creepy hotel with lots of unsavory tenants living around her.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Found my old copy of F. Paul Wilson's The Keep and reread it in less than 24 hours. I'd forgotten many details. It was just as gripping as when I first read it in college.

Now I want to find a copy of the weird, surreal movie version.

JimRac

Registered
Reaction score
It's been decades, but I remember really enjoying The Keep movie. I'll have to check out the novel!

fudgetusk

Registered
Reaction score
I've been reading some Algernon Blackwood short stories. I highly recommend THE MAN WHOM THE TREES LOVED. Very Aickmanesque. Or should I say Aickman is very Blackwoodesque?

Last edited:

CalRazor

Registered
Reaction score
Been meaning to read some Thomas Ligotti, but just haven't had the time.

Xenia

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished the last of the "Crossed" graphic novel franchise by Garth Enis, I almost don't know what to do with myself now that it is over haha