What horror novel/short story are you reading?

Esmae Tyler

This & That
Registered
Reaction score
I just dug up The Books of Blood. Mmmmm, classic Clive Barker.

Michel_Cayer

Registered
Reaction score
Currently reading an annotated version of some of Lovecraft's works. Very interesting read as they include comments about the situation at the time the stories were written.

JimRac

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished Song of Kali last night. Found the first 2/3 amazing, the remainder of the book underwhelming.

A number of the Amazon reviews named Carrion Comfort as a better read. Can anyone comment on that please?

Axl Prose

Registered
Reaction score
Against my better judgement, I watched that movie, but it wasn't too bad. How was the book?
It surprised me, I enjoyed it. Better than I gave it credit for.

Seems like the author had two choices. Go all out super fantasy/horror, or keep it grounded in reality as much as he could. He went with the realistic approach. I thought it worked. Well, as realistic as one can be when discussing the secret vampire hunting life of one of our greatest presidents :D

Jeff C. Stevenson

Author of FORTNEY ROAD
Registered
Reaction score
Website
fortneyroad.com
I've been fortunate to write a lot of short stories lately--13--and sold 5, so I'm reading Stephen King for ongoing interest. For Christmas I got his latest BAZAAR collection had about 50% stories I really enjoyed. Now reading NIGHTMARES AND DREAMSCAPES... and not so compelling. I read it years ago and am surprised how flat and long-winded they are. NIGHT SHIFT and DIFFERENT SEASONS are his best IMHO when it comes to his novella/short stories.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading Alone by Brian Keene. 50% in and a great read so far. My first of Keene's work actually.
Haven't read that one but I enjoy what I've read of his work. Give me a heads up on your opinion of this one, please.

Tinman

Registered
Reaction score
I went to the library today and checked out The Martian, and Stephen King's Finders Keepers. I'm reading Finders Keepers first, but I also put a hold on his newest, The Bazaar of Bad Dreams. I'll let you know what I think.

Jeff C. Stevenson

Author of FORTNEY ROAD
Registered
Reaction score
Website
fortneyroad.com
I have given up on NIGHTMARES & DREAMSCAPES for now after reading five stories; for some reason, this isn't a very compelling collection by King. I read it years ago and felt the same. I switched to his JUST AFTER SUNSET and hope it's a better collection.

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sealeyandrews.wordpress.com
I'm reading Alone by Brian Keene. 50% in and a great read so far. My first of Keene's work actually.

Haven't read that one but I enjoy what I've read of his work. Give me a heads up on your opinion of this one, please.
I think it's different from his other stuff. Quick read. I think I read it in one sitting. Good atmosphere/mood and feeling of desperation. Curious to hear what Shaun thinks as well.

I just started the collection Unseaming by Mike Allen. Beautiful prose. At times I find myself rereading passages because they are so densely beautiful. In some ways his stories have a Joe Hill vibe, which may be why I am liking them so.

Tinman

Registered
Reaction score
I quite liked Finders, Keepers. :) I'll look forward to hearing what you think!

Well, I finished Finders Keepers. I give it a 6 out of a possible 10. It was okay. But I wouldn't describe it as Horror, which lowered my rating.

***** SPOILER ALERT *****

For me, one of the big problems was the late arrival of Hodges, a major POV character, more than a third of the way through the book. It actually angered me, lol. Also, the characters and story didn't seem to have the depth I usually find in a King novel. But maybe it's just me; I always liked his earlier stuff better, anyway.

I finished The Martian, too, which also isn't Horror. I'd rate it a little higher than Finders Keepers, even though there were several slow parts I only glimpsed at.

JimRac

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished Red Dragon, by Thomas Harris.

Read it previously, but over a decade ago. I'd forgotten how good it is.

And structurally, very interesting. The first quarter of the story is focused on Will Graham, and then Francis Dolarhyde is introduced. Gradually more and more time is spent with Dolarhyde, until it pretty much becomes his story.

Kind of throws the "how to plot your novel" formulas that I've seen out the window.

I think I'll reread Silence of the Lambs again, to see which one I like better.

Tinman

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished Bazaar of Bad Dreams. Unfortunately, I wasn't impressed. If it had been a novel I wouldn't have finished it; IMO, none of the stories in the first half of the book were any good. Luckily, most of the stories in the second half were decent, with two or three classic-King style gems thrown in. On the whole, I'm happy I read the book. But if I had paid hardback prices for it I would've been pissed, lol.

under the moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
staceyebryan.wordpress.com
Re-reading The Terror by Dan Simmons. Fictionalized rendering of real 19th century Arctic mission. Amazing detail of life on board ships stranded in the ice that ordinarily might be boring....but to me were fascinating. Keeping one drawn in, I think, because of an on-going mystery that turns supernatural in the end. I actually didn't care 100% for the ending and thought the book could have been just as interesting without it. But...it was different, at least!

mikethelabguy

New Skin; Learning About Thick Fish
Registered
Reaction score
I've put it off for a while, but I just started the Odd Thomas series. We'll see how it goes.