Strange Story Structures...do they fly?

Nogetsune

Registered
Reaction score
As the title asks. Now that I have found artists willing to work with me I primarily write in the world of comics/manga. However...despite that, I can't help but want to dabble in other forms of writing, and had the crazy idea to take the kind of "semi-episodic" storytelling you see in some animes, comics/mangas and tv shows and translate it into a purely prose story. The basic idea would be that instead of one continous plot broken into chapters, you have a collection of connected short stories or "episodes" that act as the 'chapters" of a larger storyline while also being their own contained narratives. Much like, say Salior Moon, which had a contained plot each episode(usually focused around a "monster of the week" at least initally) but also a larger, overall plot that these episodes told at the same time.

Would such an experiment be viable in the world of YA lit, or is messing with the narrative structure by working with such interconnected short stories in place of traditional chapters just make it too difficult a sell?

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
That's basically what I do. So I don't see why not.

So yes, would like to know.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Why not? Like a collection of short stories on a theme, or subject. You could have lots of different POVs of an event, like an expanded 'Rashomon'. Especially effective for showing big events, like wars, or wide-ranging cultural changes. I've seen it done effectively in non-fiction, can't think of fictional examples at the moment. James Michener's sagas?

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm wondering about this as well because I have an idea sitting around in the back of my head that would be more episodic than anything. I'd probably write a book that features a few episodes, but there would not be a cohesive plot for the entire book (though it would have some overarching plot elements like in many TV series).

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
episodic is about the only way I can do novels. Even if it's about the same MC.

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
Well Mary Poppins and Winnie The Poo as well. Actually a lot of older work I've heard is done that way because of serialization.

Though that's like an asset for a short story writer.:/

IdrisG

the wicked wit of the west
Registered
Reaction score
This sounds like serial story writing. That's a fairly popular pursuit online on sites like WattPad and SerialPop, if I recall correctly. There's nothing strange about this in my opinion.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Actually episodic novels are a hard sell in YA (sorry). No reason not to write it and try, but I have friends with much experience at being unable to sell episodic YA novels due to the structure, despite everything else being praised in the novel