• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

How many of you blog?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Keep in mind that Blogger, WordPress and Dreamwidth all make it easy to keep your posts private, too.

JessicaW

Registered
Reaction score
I do have a blog (see signature) and I try to write once a week. Not only about my book(s) but also about writing in General, or I do character interviews, link to interviews someone has done with me and what not. I also post a writing prompt once a month and might add some more stuff that pops into my mind.

Once!

Still confused by shoelaces
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.will-once.com
Yes, I blog.

It's another way of putting words out there. It's a slightly different medium to a novel, but then a novel is a different medium to a play or a sonnet. They are all just variations on a theme. Words, ideas, communication.

When Cervantes published Don Quixote, I imagine that quite a few contemporary writers asked each other "Do you write these new-fangled novels?"

"Nah, I'll stick to poetry. It will never catch on."

I do hear that some frightfully clever chaps have invented moving pictures. Don't know if they will last either.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I blog. I am a blogger. Yesterday was my 1000th blog post and I got a Word Press badge to impress all my family and friends.

So big ups for me. :partyguy: That, and a couple bucks will buy me a Happy Meal at Mickey D's.

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
Yes, I do. I'm actually on my third blog now. The first one was a gardening blog that I haven't updated in years but still gets more hits than practically anything else I do, LOL. I had a general purpose blog that I maintained for a number of years until I disappeared off the grid for health reasons. When I came back, I decided a writing career was going to be my focus, started my own website with a blog as part of it. (Regular fresh content is something search engines are very fond of, so if you actually want people to come to your website, a blog is a really good idea.) I post reviews (I'm going to read anyway so why not? Plus it attracts people who actually read, which is not a bad thing.) and things about writing, occasional pieces of flash fiction and poetry. Even in bad months, I'll get three or four things up. And I refer to my blogposts on a schedule in my other social media. Yes, it's work. But in a year, I've managed to bring it up to an acceptable amount of traffic for a writer's website. I have noticed a lot of changes since the early days of blogging. Now I get very few comments on my blog. The comments will come on the Facebook post that links to the blog more often than not. I kind of miss the "old days" for that, but oh well, at least people react.

Loverofwords

Registered
Reaction score
I was actually thinking of starting a blog because I heard it's good for publicity and marketing for your book. It also lets you get a fanbase (sort of) for your book.

CrimsonChina

Registered
Reaction score
I blog

I find blogging very helpful because I always have some place to write down my thoughts. I can write about my observations of Chinese culture (currently living in Beijing) and share with the world. Not a big readerbase, but people seem to like it.

The charm of blogging for me is the combination between diary and nonfiction writing...

Last edited:

AJMarks

Banned
Reaction score
I guess you could say I do some blogging. I have a cat blog which I post funny pics of cats. The whole idea is to give the reader something to laugh at, nothing else. At most a post might have a short comment.

My main story website I switched over to a WP blog format because it was easier to maintain, upload, and change than the way I was using which involved a lot of HTML text.

I do have third one which is political and has a variety of posts, usually my take on politics, an outlet. I advertise the first two, the last one is more specific as to who I tell, politics can get real messy real fast.

Fullon_v4.0

Shard Knight
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rtdriver90.tumblr.com
I used to be more regular with my blog but stopped earlier in the year. I'm not sure how much it was really helping with book promo, but the blog itself did have a small following.

Claudia Traveller

Registered
Reaction score
Formerly UK, now flit from one ocean to another
I started a blog earlier this year (see signature) because I am thinking about writing a creative non-fiction book about my years in Fiji. I am a published travel writer and short fiction writer, so have never felt the need for a blog before. But with a potential book on the horizon, now seems the right time to start.
Whenever I feel a bit blocked, I write a draft post for the blog and that seems to work a treat.
I'm currently trying to write three or four posts a month to gain followers and I do try to comment on fellow writers' blogs in the spirit of 'do unto others', although it can be a bit time consuming.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
I'm blogging. I just started a couple of months ago, but I figured I should at least try, since my first novel is coming out in a couple of months. :) I've been enjoying it so far. I post about history and travel, my books, and stuff I find interesting. I also blogged every day from Iceland on vacation :) I will be blogging and sharing photos from Dragoncon in a couple of weeks. it's here if anyone is interested.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
I have a deep soul love for Ireland, Claudia! I was able to visit West Cork on my 2011 visit, finally seeing the Ring of Beara. I loved the area! We climbed a random forest path, and some locals (walking their dog) showed us to the top where two stone circles were. :)

CJMockingbird

Registered
Reaction score
I have a blog, but it's for a collection of mine, not writing-related... so I suppose not. :p

rwomeldorf

Registered
Reaction score
Hooo boy, do I. I've had several, my latest in my sig. Basically, I started this one while I was struggling to finish my book. I felt like I needed to write daily whether I was motivated or not and the blog became a way for me to write about anything I felt like. A good deal of it is wrasslin' because no matter how hard I try, I'll always be six years old at heart.

AnneGlynn

If you don't try, you can't fail
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anneglynn.com
I was actually thinking of starting a blog because I heard it's good for publicity and marketing for your book. It also lets you get a fanbase (sort of) for your book.

I started a blog for the same reason, but never built a fan base and didn't seem to get any marketing spin out of it. Only one person ever seemed to comment on my comments, too, which was a little disheartening. I took the summer off and noticed no decline in sales. In fact, one of my stories started doing much better and I've never understood why.

Maybe my blogging was killing reader interest.

I've just started the blog up again because someone gave me a lovely gift to inspire my writing, and I wanted to acknowledge her act. Since I have a new story coming out soon, I'll keep it running for a bit.

I'm thinking Facebook is a better PR/marketing move so I may establish a FB page soon.

aguywhotypes

Registered
Reaction score
Website
abstractsbybrian.com
I have a blog that's for me. I write my crap for the day and put it up there. I put things on my blog that you should never blog about. I like it because at the end of the day it's a means as to getting rid of it off my plate and dumping it and being able to start new and fresh the next day. I blog twice a day, the crap beforenoon and the crap afternoon.

Skabr

Inspire.Motivate. If nothing, drag!
Registered
Reaction score
I started blogging simply to start sharing stuff with others. But I also got the motivation because I know that they want you to have a "writer's platform", so I'm trying to get the hang of this blogging thing (optimizing your content). Turns out writing a piece is only one-tenth of the job. The rest is optimizing your piece so that someone sometimes manage to stumble across it through google :)

Claudia Traveller

Registered
Reaction score
Formerly UK, now flit from one ocean to another
It's interesting to read how other writers use blogs, although I don't really understand why anyone would want to regularly read a stranger's outpouring of 'crap' - as described by aguywhotypes. Write to get rid of angst by all means, but why make it public?

I'm trying to make the content of my blog interesting and entertaining so that whoever happens upon it will want to return. Obviously - it will only be interesting and entertaining to people who find my subjects interesting and entertaining!!

TenaciousDreamer

Registered
Reaction score
I have just started a blog, it has a mix of different topics though I am looking to narrow them down. As a complete beginner in regards to writing, I am yet to choose a genre that I wish to write in. I am hoping once this obstacle is overcome, my blog will become more targeted.

CELSTEFANI

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I do. But sometimes I find it hard to decide what to write about. I mostly just give information about writing. About things I have experienced or know. I don't usually talk about myself because, I don't really like to and who wants to read about me.

Skabr

Inspire.Motivate. If nothing, drag!
Registered
Reaction score
I have not blogged in a while but I'm thinking to get back to it. But I wish to work on my novels too, so it's really a conflict between blog-writing vs. novel-writing.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I used to a lot, but have slacked off during the past two years.

Status
Not open for further replies.