Defending your computer against worms and viruses

Deleted member 42

Although it's not crucial right now, I gotta say the Mac OS X anti-virus products are still just bloody awful.

They're not Mac like in terms of UI. And I really can't see the average user having a clue about installing them, never mind using them.

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
LOL It's a good thing that Macs don't have much virus trouble...so far.

I just ran into something mean. I was Googling for something and one eh-so-so-maybe link rediredted me to guidetosecurity3(dot)com. Warnings that my poor lil computer was not protected began to pop up. Very insistent. The webpage shows a fake scan in progress. After I killed off half a dozen pops, a Save dialog opened for an exe (executable, program) file. None of my scans on the downloaded Inst_283s1.ex_ (name changed to protect silly experimenter from accidental clicks lol) showed anything bad, but I expect it is a downloader for the main malware. There isn't much on the Web about this one, it is a new same-old.

Just a reminder, then -- if something says you need it, you don't. If it says it more than once, run away screaming.

Corollary: Anything that has to advertise is not as good as it should be.

Anecdote: I cured a McAfee infection today ;)

Seams

○
Registered
Reaction score
that 3dot.com problem is a bad one. you think you get rid of it and up it comes again. I had to clean someone's with a 'reset to factory settings' once as it was so well buried and just easier to clean.

when you come across one of those redirections' take your fingers off the mouse first and read which thing to click, if you are in doubt, use the 'ctrl alt del' function or Mac equivalent and just kill that window, sometimes its the safest way.

good luck Matera. hope it is clean

Seams

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
when you come across one of those redirections' take your fingers off the mouse first and read which thing to click, if you are in doubt, use the 'ctrl alt del' function or Mac equivalent and just kill that window, sometimes its the safest way.
Exactly. Don't even try to click on the little "x" button. Just either use "ctrl alt del" or shut down immediately then restart in safe mode, then do a virus scan. (I get just a little scared by those things. I've seen what damage they can do.)

Seams

○
Registered
Reaction score
lol yes, I have that 'Ctrl/alt/del' on speed dial :)

Matera the Mad

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
I have a virtual sawedoff shotgun. But I don't recommend that anyone play with either firearms or evil redirections unless they know what they are doing. Heh, I've been playing with fire and not getting burned for years. I just like to warn the chilluns. ;)

BradCarsten

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
simplest solution for viruses- switch to ubuntu....
with roughly 1% of the desktop market people dont bother to create viruses for it, plus its built with security in mind, so even if someone does create a virus, its extremely difficult to do any real damage unless you physically install it and give it permission to access your system files. In all the time iv been using linux, iv only heard of 1 virus that was embedded in a screensaver, and that was found and blasted in no time.

Matera the Mad

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
Yes, Linux is relatively much safer, but then we get all the help-help-help Open Office questions :ROFL:

BTW, my personal reccommendation would be Kubuntu, which is Ubuntu with the KDE desktop environment instead of Gnome. And KOffice is another great alternative to M$.

There would still be all the n00b formatting / format questions, of course, but most MSWord users have a lot to learn anyway.

BradCarsten

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, Linux is relatively much safer, but then we get all the help-help-help Open Office questions :ROFL:
I second your.... :ROFL:

BTW, my personal reccommendation would be Kubuntu, which is Ubuntu with the KDE desktop environment instead of Gnome. And KOffice is another great alternative to M$.

There would still be all the n00b formatting / format questions, of course, but most MSWord users have a lot to learn anyway.

so true, it all depends on what you started out with, iv always used open office, so for me, M$ words seems a little strange.

I used kubuntu 10.04- imho it didn't feel quite as polished as ubuntu, (software center, file browser) but once again, that may just be because I am used to Ubuntu. But yes, Kubuntu looks a little more familiar for those coming out of a windows environment.
another good one is mint, which is ubuntu with all the restricted extras such as mp3 support already installed.

Iv never tried Koffice, I will check it out

just for anyone who would like to try linux, it is possible to download the software, and then run it straight off the CD without having to install it first. This is a great way to gauge the software before committing to it.

Synovia

Registered
Reaction score
Bostonian in Baltimore via Chicago and DC
Linux is MUCH safer if its configured properly.

The problem is, the vast majority of people can't configure and update a linux box properly.

5 year old versions of Apache aren't pretty.

RandomJerk

Jerk.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
johnnynull.com
For my two cents, KDE is far, far, far too buggy and unstable. It's also too bloated. And they like the bloat.

I tried Koffice, and I found it to be a horrible mess. Their Kwrite or whatever it's called even failed to accurately open an extremely basic text file. One that I had just written - IN KWRITE!

Also, I've never had an issue with Openoffice.org, and I'm heartily looking forward to the developments with LibreOffice.

RandomJerk

Jerk.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
johnnynull.com
Linux is MUCH safer if its configured properly.

The problem is, the vast majority of people can't configure and update a linux box properly.

5 year old versions of Apache aren't pretty.

I respectfully disagree. Perhaps this was true a few years ago, but the current releases of *buntu or Mint are as simple as can be (and the other distros are not far behind). The only issue would come if there's some issue with a wireless driver, and online help for that issue is very easy to use.

BradCarsten

Registered
Reaction score
I respectfully disagree. Perhaps this was true a few years ago, but the current releases of *buntu or Mint are as simple as can be (and the other distros are not far behind). The only issue would come if there's some issue with a wireless driver, and online help for that issue is very easy to use.

I agree, from ubuntu 9.10 I was happy to recommend it to the most casual of users.

Out the box it is secure, but then with a few tricks you can push that to ridiculous levels- like installing your system files on its own partition and doing most of your daily work logged in as a user rather than an administrator.

Anaximander

Registered
Reaction score
For free stuff, I'm moving off Avast these days onto Comodo - the antivirus is about the same quality (ie pretty damn good) but there's a firewall too, which Avast lacks.

Charles Farley

Bango Skank
Registered
Reaction score

I have heard that this offer from Microsoft is well worth it. The only bad press I have come across is in the scanning time . but this is true for a lot of AV products

I use http://majorgeeks.com/Panda_Cloud_Antivirus_d6144.html

You basically install it and forget it is even running. No heavy load on the CPU, updates are done on the Panda server so it doesn't become bloated, the quick scan option does everything you need. The deep scan does take awhile but meh . its worth it.

Deleted member 42

I have heard that this offer from Microsoft is well worth it. The only bad press I have come across is in the scanning time . but this is true for a lot of AV products

My former colleagues at Symantec recommend it ;)

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is probably the thread to ask my question. I run Windows XP Pro on my desktop, and my antivirus, Trend PC-cillin InternetSecurity 14, is going to expire in January. I intend to let it, since it's allowed trojans to install, then could not quarantine or remove them, resulting in my need to reformat the hard drive, which was a PIA.

I am willing to pay for a good antivirus package, but I don't have a feel for what's good these days. I'd like to be able to install it on my laptop, which runs Windows 7, as well. (I have the free version of AVG on it now.) I do visit high-risk sites occasionally. (What a revelation: the erotica writer is interested in sex. Go figure.)

Just to complicate matters, I am okay but far from adept when it comes to technology, so it's got to be pretty user-friendly.

People recommend so many products I'm at a loss. What's better or worse about
  • Kapersky
  • McAfee
  • Norton
  • Symantic
  • others
and why? Does it really make that much difference which I use?

Maryn, already wringing her hands

Deleted member 42

Maryn if I had to use Windows, I'd remove my current malware protection 'ware. I'd install and religiously check and keep updated Microsoft Security Essentials, and I'd keep a usb thumb drive pre-loaded with current versions of Malware Bytes etc. And I'd routinely scan using them.

And I would NOT RUN AS ADMIN.

lwallace

Writing Is a Habit of Mind
Registered
Reaction score
I've had issues with ZoneAlarm - for instance, it wouldn't let me access cPanel on a couple of my websites, even after I opened the cPanel port on the firewall :p Never found out why but never had any luck with several ZoneAlarm versions either ...

Norton AV is pure and simply a pig :p It sucks up resources at a rate and slows down your machine. AVG (either the free version or the paid version) gets my vote for ease of use, regular updates, low resource usage and for low false-positives :) You can get the free version here - and no, I don't work for them or get a commission :p Their Anti-Virus + Firewall is pretty good too if all you want is a basic firewall without too many frills :)

I agree with you about NortonAV. Thanks for your quick eval of these programs. I'll take your advice on the AVG. Was wondering, though, what you thought of Malwarebytes.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
I agree with you about NortonAV. Thanks for your quick eval of these programs. I'll take your advice on the AVG. Was wondering, though, what you thought of Malwarebytes.

Norton's AV is not the hog it used to be. in 2009, they re-did,and it's quite the little program now.

But there's this little bit about wanting to hide it inside Norton 360 and all that "comprehensive" security crap that they moved all the bloat to.

I use it because it comes free with my ISP (Comcast). And it's not bad, as long as I keep telling it I only want the AV.