Bill Cosby: America's Favorite Dad...and Rapist?

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Jurors in America --

"My personal feeling is whatever the man did, he's already paid his price. Paid and suffered," the juror said.

I don't quite know how he's paid any price for assaulting people, or even one person, but regardless, THAT'S NOT THE POINT YOU FUCKWIT. Unless he's talking about an actual nullification verdict, which I really, really don't think he is, seems to misunderstand the very basic task he was given.

“The evidence wasn’t strong enough. It was a classic he said-she said, and there was too many holes—too many holes in the prosecution’s case, I feel.”

Except for the deposition in which Cosby says he had a cache of pills to basically do exactly what she claimed he did?

Also --

The juror who spoke to the AP questioned the long delay in bringing charges against the TV star, suggesting that "no new evidence from '05 to now has showed up, no stained clothing, no smoking gun, nothing."

Again, not the point. Also, see above deposition, so... way to pay attention during trial.

"When you ask for help on your resume, on your resignation letter, which she did, and he, Mr. Cosby, invites her to his home and she arrives in a bare midriff with incense and bath salts, that's a question," said the juror, appearing to lump several meetings between Cosby and Constand into one.

Way to pay attention, and to victim blame and sort of slut shame.

"He openly admitted that what he gave 'em, he gave 'em pills," the juror said. "He almost incriminated himself. It was very, very honest from his side. You could believe from his testimony what he did, but not from her."

Ohhh, now I understand! He was very believable talking in the deposition about how he drugged women to have sex with them, but she wasn't, when she testified how he drugged her to have sex with... wait....

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com

I got something. Revulsion. Disgust. Fury.

I tried to figure out if this story is true or not. I was praying for jail...but in the back of my mind I was thinking negative thoughts. I had a hunch. Based on years of watching different things play out.

And then, after the trial, THIS!? I'm just so thoroughly disgusted. Nothing like flaunting his 'untouchable' status in the plain view of ALL THOSE WOMEN he defiled and destroyed. He's a loathsome deplorable sicko...I have to hope he gets what's coming to him.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Jesus wept. That's abhorrent.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Wait, if it's a mistrial, doesn't it have to be re-tried with a new jury? Or does he get to walk at this point?

So confused.

I honestly don't get how someone who's basically admitted to committing sexual assault could leave any reasonable doubt in any juror's mind. The only thing I can think is if his admission to having drugged other women was inadmissible in this case (the one that wasn't outside the statute of limitations), so it came down to "he said, she said" for his assault on this particular woman.

Rape cases are incredibly frustrating, because the standards for beyond reasonable doubt seem to be much higher than for most other felonies.

I think it's because most people, men and women alike, have bought into the idea that it's normal male behavior to push, push, push for sex in any way they can, so if there's the slightest doubt about whether the women was willing or not, most people assume that a normal, reasonable guy would proceed.

But Bill Cosby drugged these women. Wouldn't that be a crime and endangering their lives, even if rape hadn't occurred?

Last edited:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Wait, if it's a mistrial, doesn't it have to be re-tried with a new jury? Or does he get to walk at this point?

It *can* be re-tried. There's no rule that says it has to be, and if the prosecutor feels that there's no benefit in retrying, they probably won't. For one thing, he's got a right to an unbiased jury. At this point, it's going to be very difficult to find any seatable jury pool that hasn't been tainted by outside information. Even if they change the venue, it's not likely that the people being polled for jury service won't already have their opinions set on one side or the other. And the accusers might not want to go through it all again.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score

So confused.

I honestly don't get how someone who's basically admitted to committing sexual assault could leave any reasonable doubt in any juror's mind. The only thing I can think is if his admission to having drugged other women was inadmissible in this case (the one that wasn't outside the statute of limitations), so it came down to "he said, she said" for his assault on this particular woman.

Rape cases are incredibly frustrating, because the standards for beyond reasonable doubt seem to be much higher than for most other felonies.

I think it's because most people, men and women alike, have bought into the idea that it's normal male behavior to push, push, push for sex in any way they can, so if there's the slightest doubt about whether the women was willing or not, most people assume that a normal, reasonable guy would proceed.

But Bill Cosby drugged these women. Wouldn't that be a crime and endangering their lives, even if rape hadn't occurred?

It can be retried -- the prosecutor says he will go again. It does get a new jury; it's an entire redo of the trial, as if the first one hadn't happened.

As to how jurors got there, see the quotes in my post a few above. At least one juror is, frankly, a moronic misogynist who paid little to no attention, didn't understand the basic point of the trial, or much of what was said, thinks going to someone's house with bath salts (the actual bath kind not the face-munching drug kind) means you want to get raped and that's fine, and also, all that legal mumbo jumbo in the charges was confusing and "too legal."

Also, there is no doubt -- that juror said he found Cosby's testimony about drugging women very believable.

But really, we should keep relying on "regular people" to perform this task.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
It can be retried -- the prosecutor says he will go again. It does get a new jury; it's an entire redo of the trial, as if the first one hadn't happened.

As to how jurors got there, see the quotes in my post a few above. At least one juror is, frankly, a moronic misogynist who paid little to no attention, didn't understand the basic point of the trial, or much of what was said, thinks going to someone's house with bath salts (the actual bath kind not the face-munching drug kind) means you want to get raped and that's fine, and also, all that legal mumbo jumbo in the charges was confusing and "too legal."

Also, there is no doubt -- that juror said he found Cosby's testimony about drugging women very believable.

But really, we should keep relying on "regular people" to perform this task.

Do you think judges cannot be moronic misogynists?

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score

Of course they can. Again, at least they understand the point of a trial, and can usually follow along with very basic things. I'll also take the likelihood of a rogue, nutty judge over the endless parade of inanity and stupidity that walks into jury boxes on the regular (I do not think every juror is a moron, obviously; I just think way too many are).

I'd be fine with moving to a bench of three judges, as some other nations employ, which would curtail the loony judge possibility. Not that that'll happen, as the idea we'd get it together enough to ratify that is fanciful at best, but still, I'd much prefer that.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
Of course they can. Again, at least they understand the point of a trial, and can usually follow along with very basic things. I'll also take the likelihood of a rogue, nutty judge over the endless parade of inanity and stupidity that walks into jury boxes on the regular (I do not think every juror is a moron, obviously; I just think way too many are).

I don't think every judge makes bad decisions, either, I just think way too many do.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website

Sadly, there have been plenty of examples of judges who are just that.

Are judges statistically more or less likely to make bad choices or be swayed by personal biases and misogyny than a group of 12 carefully selected citizens? I don't know the answer to that. When there are 12 people, though, and the jury needs to be unanimous to convict (I thought that was only true in capital murder cases, but evidently it is in all felonies), it seems highly unlikely that at least one misogynist who sympathizes with an accused rapist wouldn't sneak through the selection process.

Our system is supposed to err on the side of acquittal in trials. I agree with this, because no one wants to have to prove their innocence in a court of law. But the way our system manifests with sexual assault cases is really ugly and it definitely perpetrates the power imbalance--whatever men want or need is considered normal and reasonable, while women are expected to constrain their lives and choices and live in a constant state of paranoia* to accommodate this.

Women make choices about where to live, when and where to work, how to commute, when and how to socialize etc. with an eye to the ever-present threat of sexual assault, yet people worry about what the impact of stricter sexual assault laws and sentencing (or stricter policies about sexual harassment or assault on campuses and other places) might have on the lives and freedom of men. When a woman gets assaulted, it's her fault for attempting to claim some of the same rights and freedoms men take for granted (like the right to go out with friends and get plastered, or to work the late shift, or to take public transit to work, to live in an apartment that isn't "security," or to be sexually promiscuous or whatever).

And some people insist there's no such thing as rape culture.

*Of course, women are condemned for being fearful and paranoid too, as any open conversation about street harassment or stalking indicates. "What if he was just being friendly?" and "So it's wrong to show women you're interested in them?"or "What about women who play hard to get or like it when men come on strong?" etc.

Last edited:

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
The jurors aren't sneaking through; they're being chosen.

During jury selection, each side (prosecution and defense), has a certain number of peremptory challenges (jurors they can strike from the prospective pool for no stated reason). Jury selection is a strategic game; that's why good jury consultants make $$$.

They research prospective jurors, go through jury questionnaires, ask questions, and try to weed out those jurors they think will be hostile to their client and keep in those they think will be sympathetic.

Defending a rapist? You probably want older women and men on your panel, with conservative views, who will say specific things in response to some questions about their views about sex, modern attitudes, rape, etc.

Remember, you only have so many challenges, and so does your opponent. Challenges for cause (for obvious bias, or stuff like, on the Cosby case, saying on your questionnaire that you could never convict Bill Cosby) are unlimited, but you need to explain what the cause is and have the judge grant it and the other side can argue and yada yada.

You know the prosecution's case is really strong, but they don't have DNA or fingerprint evidence to show (say because the person lived with the murderer, or because it's a tight circumstantial case), if you're a defense atty, you want people who watch a fuckload of CSI, but aren't particularly well-educated, don't keep up with news, etc.

It's a game you can win. Jurors don't end up on juries by accident unless no one cares about the case or has any time or $ to spend on it.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I really don't think that's what she meant. Most people know how jury selection works.

I didn't mean they were deliberately sneaking through by lying, though I'm sure that happens sometimes too. I ate at a restaurant once that had a pamphlet on the table (from the NRA or some other gun rights lobby) on how to hang a jury in gun violation cases, but that's an aside.

I've been paneled for a few juries but never selected, so I know the process is pretty rigorous. I'm assuming it varies by state, but here, they start by asking about conflicts. They go through those and dismiss some people based on those criteria. either question the people initially lotteried in the jury box openly or give everyone a questionnaire.

Then they give the prosecuting and defending attorney time to question prospective jurors further and each gets a certain number of "strikes without cause." I've always been picked early in my panel (once I was the first name in the room called) but gotten removed during this process. One attorney or another hasn't wanted me for various reasons. I suspect it's because I'm one of those people who knows my own mind and has a fairly well-formed opinion about everything. Once it was clearly because I taught at the college attended by the defendant.

As the process goes along, though, the ability to dismiss a prospective juror without cause is used up, and attorneys have to negotiate and explain their reasoning more rigorously. Each has their own idea of what an ideal juror will be like too. So I think it's possible for people who are profoundly ignorant, even misogynistic, to get through if the selection process is long and drawn out and they're having trouble getting jurors. This may be true in any case involving a celebrity. Maybe they focused more on finding jurors who had no pre-existing knowledge or opinions about Cosby (which would be hard) or about this case rather than focusing on their issues about rape and women in general.

I think most jurors take their job seriously. I certainly would have (and will if I ever am selected for a jury). But if conviction must be unanimous, and the case concerns a crime that is highly charged emotionally and is likely a consequence of social dynamics and power differentials and so on, like rape (or shootings of black motorists by cops), I think it's unlikely that there won't be at least one juror who votes to acquit based on previous biases.

In cases that don't require a unanimous ruling, this would likely balance out, and a jury would provide a fairer trail than a single judge. But since rape (evidently) requires 12-0 to convict (again, I thought this was only for capital cases, but I guess not), then perpetrators are almost always going to walk, even if they're guilty as ****.

I don't know that judges are the best option, though, as that puts everything in the hand of a single individual, who for all their experience and knowledge, could have biases one way or the other. Don't some countries have panels of experts or of judges serving in place of juries in at least some cases? How does that work? Does that make rapists less likely to walk without biasing things in the other direction (again, no one wants to see innocent people convicted either).

The right to a trial by jury is enshrined in the US Constitution, though, so this can't be changed without Amending it (if the Bill of Rights itself can even be amended). I don't see much chance of that happening.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
I really don't think that's what she meant. Most people know how jury selection works.

You'd be surprised.

I didn't mean they were deliberately sneaking through by lying, though I'm sure that happens sometimes too. I ate at a restaurant once that had a pamphlet on the table (from the NRA or some other gun rights lobby) on how to hang a jury in gun violation cases, but that's an aside.

I didn't think you meant sneaking through deliberately by lying, but snuck through like oh, someone should've noticed he was a misogynistic moron and struck him -- I would guess he was in the box because he was a misogynistic moron. Didn't mean to be patronizing describing jury selection either; I've run into a number of otherwise well-educated adults who don't know basic kind of legal stuff.

I've been paneled for a few juries but never selected, so I know the process is pretty rigorous. I'm assuming it varies by state, but here, they start by asking about conflicts. They go through those and dismiss some people based on those criteria. either question the people initially lotteried in the jury box openly or give everyone a questionnaire.

Then they give the prosecuting and defending attorney time to question prospective jurors further and each gets a certain number of "strikes without cause." I've always been picked early in my panel (once I was the first name in the room called) but gotten removed during this process. One attorney or another hasn't wanted me for various reasons. I suspect it's because I'm one of those people who knows my own mind and has a fairly well-formed opinion about everything. Once it was clearly because I taught at the college attended by the defendant.

As the process goes along, though, the ability to dismiss a prospective juror without cause is used up, and attorneys have to negotiate and explain their reasoning more rigorously. Each has their own idea of what an ideal juror will be like too. So I think it's possible for people who are profoundly ignorant, even misogynistic, to get through if the selection process is long and drawn out and they're having trouble getting jurors. This may be true in any case involving a celebrity. Maybe they focused more on finding jurors who had no pre-existing knowledge or opinions about Cosby (which would be hard) or about this case rather than focusing on their issues about rape and women in general.

I think most jurors take their job seriously. I certainly would have (and will if I ever am selected for a jury). But if conviction must be unanimous, and the case concerns a crime that is highly charged emotionally and is likely a consequence of social dynamics and power differentials and so on, like rape (or shootings of black motorists by cops), I think it's unlikely that there won't be at least one juror who votes to acquit based on previous biases.

In cases that don't require a unanimous ruling, this would likely balance out, and a jury would provide a fairer trail than a single judge. But since rape (evidently) requires 12-0 to convict (again, I thought this was only for capital cases, but I guess not), then perpetrators are almost always going to walk, even if they're guilty as ****.

I don't know that judges are the best option, though, as that puts everything in the hand of a single individual, who for all their experience and knowledge, could have biases one way or the other. Don't some countries have panels of experts or of judges serving in place of juries in at least some cases? How does that work? Does that make rapists less likely to walk without biasing things in the other direction (again, no one wants to see innocent people convicted either).

The right to a trial by jury is enshrined in the US Constitution, though, so this can't be changed without Amending it (if the Bill of Rights itself can even be amended). I don't see much chance of that happening.

Case in point -- it's not just felonies or serious crimes, criminal cases require a unanimous verdict; civil don't (by and large, federal and I think every state requires criminal to be unanimous, and most states go by majority in civil. Both of those are up to the state, but it's pretty much the deal, afaik. That's petit juries -- grand juries usually need something in between, like a 2/3 majority, but also depends on the locale.).

I'd prefer a three-judge panel, as other countries have, and yes, we'd have to amend the Constitution to do it, and sure, it's possible (though wildly unlikely atm; we haven't done it in decades and it's a pita if it's not something everyone agrees on). The Bill of Rights is just the name for the first ten amendments to the document -- they're amendments themselves. Any amendment becomes part of the document and can be overturned by a succeeding one, like prohibition (initiated in the 18th, repealed in the 21st).

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bill Cosby has made his slight return to the stage. A small one, to be sure, but one where a sick, sick, SICK old man with no sense of shame or simple decency, took a big step back into the spotlight.

Bill Cosby went to a club in Philadelphia on Monday night to perform a comedy show that his publicist insisted had nothing at all to do with rehabilitating his image in advance of his upcoming retrial for sexual assault charges.

Reporters were skeptical. The Associated Press mentioned that this was Cosby’s first show since 2015, when dozens of women accused him of drugging and molesting them and his career fell into disgrace. The Philadelphia Inquirer noticed that the 80-year-old comedian showed up to LaRose Jazz Club on Monday wearing the same cheery sweatshirt he had worn the previous day for an amiable video series shared on his Twitter account.

But no, Cosby assured the Inquirer, there was nothing strategic about his appearance Monday.

“I just go,” he said. “When I feel like it, I go.”

“This is his life,” his spokesman affirmed.

An NPR reporter at the club tried to ask Cosby about his retrial in three months and whether he was worried about the new #MeToo movement. Last year, a jury could not reach a unanimous consensus on whether Cosby drugged and assaulted a woman, and the judge declared a mistrial.Since then, a wave of accusations against other celebrities have inspired a new culture of zero-tolerance for sexual misconduct.

“I don’t know!
” Cosby told the reporter, and made a funny face.

For the Cult of Cosby, they will never. ever. believe he did anything wrong and even if he did, who did he do it to? Failed actresses from B-movies? Starlets craving his approval and assistance? Former cutey pies working in the Men Club called Hollywood turned bitter old women nursing decades-old grudges trying to cash out? Unattractive, man-hating White lesbians trying to tear a strong, Black man down? Jilted lovers who wanted more than a one or two night stand?

#MeToo didn't begin with Bill Cosby. Harvey Weinstein got this ball rolling, but The Cos could have been the catalyst and maybe should have been. However, Cosby was a revered, honored and beloved Man of Respect who crossed cultural and racial lines to become one of America's most famous and successful celebrities ever.

Until you sweat the details. That's when you know, as if you needed a reminder, how much of a super-predator/super freak William E. Cosby is.

Here is a man with no shame. What he does have are plenty of prescribed Quaaludes to slip in your drink and rape you.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
GUILTY!

Norristown, Pennsylvania (CNN)The jury in Bill Cosby's indecent assault trial found the comedian guilty Thursday of all three counts.

Cosby was convicted on three counts of aggravated indecent assault for drugging and sexually assaulting Andrea Constand in a Philadelphia suburb in 2004. The 80-year-old former comedian faces up to 10 years in prison on each count, but would likely serve them concurrently.

The panel began deliberating Wednesday around 11 a.m., and worked for more than 14 hours over two days to reach the verdict.

The case against Cosby centered on testimony from Constand, a former employee with Temple University women's basketball team. She testified that Cosby, a powerful trustee at Temple, drugged her and sexually assaulted her when she visited his home to ask for career advice.

Cosby's defense team argued that their interaction was consensual. Constand is a con artist, they argued, who wanted a piece of Cosby's fortune.

The case is the first celebrity sexual assault trial since the #MeToo movement began last fall, and as such, it represents a test of how the cultural movement will translate into a courtroom arena. In closing arguments, defense attorney Kathleen Bliss positioned Cosby's legal team as standing up against "witch hunts, lynchings (and) McCarthyism."

Although dozens of women have accused Cosby of sexual misconduct, only Constand's allegations resulted in criminal charges.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
GUILTY!

Norristown, Pennsylvania (CNN)The jury in Bill Cosby's indecent assault trial found the comedian guilty Thursday of all three counts.

Cosby was convicted on three counts of aggravated indecent assault for drugging and sexually assaulting Andrea Constand in a Philadelphia suburb in 2004. The 80-year-old former comedian faces up to 10 years in prison on each count, but would likely serve them concurrently.

The panel began deliberating Wednesday around 11 a.m., and worked for more than 14 hours over two days to reach the verdict.

The case against Cosby centered on testimony from Constand, a former employee with Temple University women's basketball team. She testified that Cosby, a powerful trustee at Temple, drugged her and sexually assaulted her when she visited his home to ask for career advice.

Cosby's defense team argued that their interaction was consensual. Constand is a con artist, they argued, who wanted a piece of Cosby's fortune.

The case is the first celebrity sexual assault trial since the #MeToo movement began last fall, and as such, it represents a test of how the cultural movement will translate into a courtroom arena. In closing arguments, defense attorney Kathleen Bliss positioned Cosby's legal team as standing up against "witch hunts, lynchings (and) McCarthyism."

Although dozens of women have accused Cosby of sexual misconduct, only Constand's allegations resulted in criminal charges.

Wow!

I had hoped, but I did not expect that.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Reaction
The comedian initially had no visible reaction in the courtroom as his fate was announced, but upon hearing the district attorney's request that his bail be revoked he launched into a expletive-laden rant.

The moment happened when the prosecutor argued Cosby's bail was not high enough, prompting Cosby to push away his lawyer's hand and have an outburst during which he shouted that he does not have a private plane and referred to the prosecutor with an expletive. The request to have his bail revoked was denied.

Now if only he actually has to start his jail time within a short time span and not stay out pending an appeal or given months before having to report in.

I hope the judge considers he's spent years assaulting women and getting away with it. He needs to pay his dues before he dies.

Last edited:

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I suppose we'd all rather see Justice arrive very late than not at all, but I nevertheless wish he'd been accused and tried years earlier, instead of being free to make buckets of money and do the same to other women.

Still, welcome, Justice!

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Defense attorney Kathleen Bliss really raked the women who accused Cosby of assault over the coals in her closing arguments, really savaged their character and humanity and honesty and integrity. Then she mouthed a few pietisms about how it wasn’t “shaming” them to question them.

I really do wonder why a woman whose life has been shattered and who has spiralled into desperate self-destruction is considered less credible when she says someone abused her horrifically.

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Defense attorney Kathleen Bliss really raked the women who accused Cosby of assault over the coals in her closing arguments, really savaged their character and humanity and honesty and integrity. Then she mouthed a few pietisms about how it wasn’t “shaming” them to question them.

I really do wonder why a woman whose life has been shattered and who has spiralled into desperate self-destruction is considered less credible when she says someone abused her horrifically.

Women with loose morals and risky behavior are obviously asking for it. Their behavior incited the attack. Pious, chaste, virginal pillars of sanctity, are the only women who should be believed.

I would like to put the sarcasm smilie here, but sadly that is the prevailing belief of so many when it comes to the victims of sexual assault.

ETA:I do believe that many women have that mindset to give them a false sense of protection. Believing since they don't act like that, they can never be raped.

Last edited:

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
That's nice, but he's just going to appeal it into the ground. He wasn't remanded, and probably won't be so....

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It must be midnight because ALL the masks are coming off.

NORRISTOWN, Pennsylvania—Upon hearing the guilty verdict, District Attorney Kevin Steele almost immediately asked for Bill Cosby’s bail to be revoked, noting the serious charges on which Cosby was just convicted: three counts of indecent aggravated sexual assault. Judge Steven O’Neill pushed back, saying that Cosby’s bail already was fairly high and that Cosby hadn’t missed a single court appearance.

When Steele argued for his position, he talked about Cosby’s many resources, some of which had come up during the trial. Steele mentioned a plane, and plane records had been a part of the defense’s evidence.

As Steele talked about how Cosby can get “to anyplace in the world” the legendary funnyman, who is also now a convicted man, suddenly blurted out:

“He doesn’t have a plane, you asshole!

Wonder what Eddie Murphy has to say about that? :Wha: