Bill Cosby: America's Favorite Dad...and Rapist?

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This entire sordid story hurts me personally. I've seen Bill Cosby perform, in person, three times. He is a comic genius, and was a breakthrough performer, both in comedic style and for African-American comedians and actors.
Bill Cosby is dead. Well, technically, he's not. Bill Cosby is still very much alive, but the Bill Cosby you're talking about is dead. That Cosby was a comedic genius and despite never winning an Oscar, he was also a better actor than any of us ever gave him credit for. Acted like a comedian. Acted like a nice guy. Acted like a philanthropist. Acted like America's Dad. Turned out to be a rapist. Whoops. Ya got us all, Bill. Too bad you're dead now.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Mark Whitaker's recently published biography, Cosby: His Life and Times, has been "pulled," according to the BBC.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-33649351

Whitaker apologized last November for failing to investigate or address the drug-and-rape stories around Cosby in the book.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mark Whitaker's recently published biography, Cosby: His Life and Times, has been "pulled," according to the BBC.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-33649351

Whitaker apologized last November for failing to investigate or address the drug-and-rape stories around Cosby in the book.

Mark Whitaker's resume includes stints as an editor at Newsweek and later at CNN. He blew truck-sized holes in his credibility by his terrible book.

But Whitaker's rep can be salvaged. Cosby's never will and now there's even more proof of it.
Atlanta’s Spelman College confirmed that it has canceled a professorship associated with Bill Cosby and returned the money.

The action occurred in the wake of documents obtained by the Associated Press and the New York Times in which Cosby detailed his provision of drugs to young women with whom he wanted to have sex. Cosby has denied wrongdoing.

The Cosbys’ association with Spelman has been one of their longest, most generous, and perhaps the most prestigious.

Two Cosby daughters attended Spelman. Their parents Camille and Bill Cosby donated $20 million to the college in the late 1980’s. At the time it was the largest ever personal gift to a historically black college or university. The family’s money helped fund a new academic center housing state-of-the art classrooms, labs and a fine arts museum; as well as the endowed professorship.

The college this weekend would not comment on how much money was associated specifically with the professsorship.

Unlike with one-time capital purchases such as a new building, endowments typically take a large sum of money and invest it. That way the investment profits can keep coming year after year, continuing to pay for an ongoing expense like a professor’s salary.

More than 40 women have now accused Bill Cosby of rape or a sexual violation, often accompanied by sedation. But the incidents occurred several years ago and lacked forensic proof. As public figures and institutions ceased ties and disavowed the comedian over the last year, Spelman mostly held fast.

Students at the women’s college have voiced deep ambivalence about the accusations, citing their strong attachment to women’s rights, but also to due process and the dignified public image portrayed by Cosby and his characters.

Last November as accusations rolled in, the Berklee College of Music removed Cosby’s name from a scholarship, and the University of Massachusetts at Amherst said Cosby would leave a $300 million fundraising campaign, of which he was honorary co-chair. Not Spelman.

I'm certain there were many other HBCUs waiting to see what Spelman would do about their Cosby connection before making their decisions to ride out the storm or cut the cord. Spelman has spoken and now nobody has an excuse not to purge themselves from Cosby.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's a hell of a cover.

The "New York" magazine article is online, but I can't get to it. According to the BBC heavy traffic this morning has crashed the website.

It is one HELL of a cover. But apparently, it's not heavy traffic that crashed the New York magazine site, but an asshole hacker.

On Sunday night, New York Magazine published the accounts of 35 women who say Bill Cosby raped them. It’s a powerful, first-hand narrative coupled with striking portraits of the victims but you can’t read it, because a racist hacker who apparently hates New York City took the magazine’s website offline.

According to the Daily Dot, a hacker calling himself the ThreatKing launched a DDoS attack early Monday morning primarily because the magazine is named after a city with “many stupid people.”

ThreatKing said his hatred of New York City is based on a visit to the city gone wrong. “I went to new York 2 months ago. It was really bad,” ThreatKing said. “Someone pranked me. Everyone started laughing and shit. The first 10 hours being there. Some African-American tried to prank me with a fake hand gun.”

That’s why, he said, he “[wants] to see people die at [sic] New York.” “I’ve seen many pranks gone wrong at new york. That got me pissed. That’s why I chose New York.”

“I’ll try my best to keep [New York] offline for 14 hours,” ThreatKing said, adding, strangely, that “we would control the Internet if we had enough money. Because each server costs money.”

The alleged hacker tells the website his attack was not related to the Cosby article, saying “I have not even seen the cover, LOL.”

If we knew who this guy was we could find him and kill him. Screw this spunk rag. :rant:

The story and photos are available online at various websites.

Fortunately for me, I subscribe to New York and I'll be camping out by my mailbox waiting for my friendly postal service employee to deliver my copy.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
New York's site is back up and you can read the article and view the pictures. I hope you will. The women have been marginalized and ignored long enough.

In response to the hack which brought the site down, Twitter responded with a new hashtag #The Empty Chair:

To combat the still mysterious censor of New York and to offer support to all survivors of sexual assault, Twitter users began using the hashtag #TheEmptyChair. Below is just a sampling of the countless messages so far. To see more, click here.

TheEmptyChair signals the women who couldn't come forward mostly b/c we, as a culture, wouldn't believe them. https://t.co/fiG8qii2iO— Janet Mock (@janetmock) July 27, 2015

It's a problem when the survivors of sexual assault are treated like criminals/liars & the perpetrators like victims. #TheEmptyChair
— Dominic Mitchell (@dominiclm_) July 27, 2015

#Cosby is a visible & repugnant example of #RapeCulture, but #TheEmptyChair can be filled by hundreds of thousands pic.twitter.com/z7BzqZtmhm
— Soraya Chemaly (@schemaly) July 27, 2015

#TheEmptyChair isn't big enough to fit all the people who have been raped, unheard and shamed.
— Charlene Carruthers (@CharleneCac) July 27, 2015

I stand with every women or girl sitting in #TheEmptyChair right now. Your resilience is beyond measure.
— Michael Skolnik (@MichaelSkolnik) July 27, 2015

Men and Young Men: I hope you are joining me in listening to and learning from the lived experiences being shared on #TheEmptyChair
— jeff perera (@jeffperera) July 27, 2015

To anyone in #TheEmptyChair - you are more than what happened to you. You are loved. You are believed. You are heard.
— Kate Stickel (@KateStickel) July 27, 2015

What's fucking with me most is how many women, hell, how many women I KNOW that sit in #TheEmptyChair because of how we treat rape victims.
— Elon James White (@elonjames) July 27, 2015

Do not wait for a man to speak to believe women who are already talking. Nothing to add. #TheEmptyChair
— Jamil Smith (@JamilSmith) July 27, 2015

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
America's Dad Homophobic Side?

Maybe you recall Janis Ian and her hit song, "At Seventeen." At 16 she was on The Smothers Brothers TV show and she had a Bill Cosby Experience. Not the kind of experience we've heard so much of lately, but a different one with a different sort of Cosby cruelty.

It says a lot about the man and the woman.

Thank you all for the response to my "Cosby memory". Someone pointed out that by starting it with the New York Magazine link, people sharing it would only be able to share the link, not the text. So here it is again, with a different format.

The photos are of me, at 16, on the Smothers Brothers show. They're here so anyone sharing will be able to share the text as well. The link to the New York Magazine piece is

http://nymag.com/…/2…/07/bill-cosbys-accusers-speak-out.html

...And here's my memory:

Do I have a stake in this issue? Yes. Of course. Outside of being female, outside of knowing women aren't "heard" as loudly as men are heard, outside of firmly believing that if women were treated equally around the world, many if not all of the world's problems would no longer exist - outside of all that... I have a personal stake.

No, I was not sexually bothered by Bill Cosby. We met because he was curious about me.

My song "Society's Child" was climbing the charts and creating a great deal of controversy. The Smothers Brothers took a huge gamble and had me on their hit television show. I was just sixteen years old when we taped it. I'd been on the road for months, doing press and one-nighters. My chaperone/tour manager, a family friend six or seven years older than me, was doing everything in her power to make sure I was protected and getting as much rest as possible. as much rest as possible.

Remember. I was sixteen. Still in high school. Fairly naive, including about my own sexuality. For months on the road, my chaperone was the only consistent face I saw. Everyone else was a complete stranger - radio personalities, newspaper reporters, magazine photographers, audiences, promoters, disc jockeys, all strangers. So I clung to my chaperone.

We'd never been to a big-time TV taping. We had no idea we'd have to be inside from early early morning until whenever they called for me. There were only a couple of chairs for us on the set - I was pretty low on the totem pole, way lower than Jimmy Durante or Pat Paulsen or Mason Williams (all of whom were wonderful to us). And I was exhausted. I'd been having nightmares for weeks, the result of the controversy surrounding "Society's Child" and the death threats I was receiving daily. I needed to sleep. So I fell asleep in my chaperone's lap. She was earth motherly, I was scared. It was good to rest.

We taped the show. I had a ball. (You can see it on Youtube, in fact. That's me, looking scared, in the green dress. My friend Buffy from East Orange, where I'd started high school, made it for me. I treasured it.) Then we went back to New York, and I went back to school.

A while later, my manager called me into her office. "What happened at the Smothers Brothers show?!" I had no idea what she was talking about, and said so. "Well, no one else on TV is willing to have you on. Not out there, anyway." Why? I wondered. And was told that Cosby, seeing me asleep in the chaperone's lap, had made it his business to "warn" other shows that I wasn't "suitable family entertainment", was probably a lesbian, and shouldn't be on television.

Again, a reminder. I was 16. I'd never slept with a man, I'd never slept with a woman. Hell, I barely been kissed, and that in the middle of the summer camp sports area, next to the ping pong table.

Banned from TV. Unbelievable. Bless Johnny Carson and his producer Freddy de Cordova, one of the nicest men I've ever worked with, because they didn't listen. Or maybe they didn't give a damn. I don't know. I do know that they broke the barrier Cosby tried to create.

Link

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
Damon Wayans Says Crap about the Victims

On a radio interview on Friday, Damon Wayans said the following about the alleged victims: “Some of them, really, is un-rape-able. I look at them and go, ‘No, he don’t want that. Get outta here!’”

As if that weren't already WTF enough... He just goes on with the crap from there. He of course claims the woman are just looking for money, he claims the were all in "relationships" with Cosby, and according to another report, he made some "quip" about Cosby's penis giving the women amnesia. (Never mind that many of these reports were made years and years ago...)

But of course, his “heart goes out” to any women who were actually victims of sexual assault. Right. Except for those times he can't see behind his Blinkers of Stupidity.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't seen or heard anything from Damon Wayans in years. Oh, if only that blessed peace and quiet could have lasted years more.

Because this...this here is some straight-up dumb-ass bullshit.

...despite the large numbers of women who have come forward and overwhelming evidence that Cosby is a serial rapist, Damon Wayans sees it another way. “I just don’t believe it. I think it’s a money hustle,” Wayans said.

“Tell the truth, if I was him, I would divorce my wife, wink wink, give her all my money, and then I would go and do a deposition,” Wayans jokingly told the radio station. “I’d light [a] three-hour cigar, I’d have me some wine, and maybe a Quaalude, and I would just go off because I don’t believe he was raping.”

After offering such insight, Wayans continued:
“I believe he was in relationships with all of them and then he’s like, ‘You know what? [Cosby is] 78. It don’t work like that no more. I can’t get it up for any of y’all. Bye, bitches,’ and then they’re like, ‘Oh, really? Rape!’”

[...]

“And some of them, really, is unrapeable. I look at them and go, ‘No, he don’t want that. Get outta here!’ Look, I understand fame. I’ve lived it. Women will throw themselves at you. They just want be in your presence. There’s some that innocently will come up there, but not 40-something women. They’re not that naive.”

When Breakfast Club host Angela Yee pointed that many of the women had, in fact, come forward years before, Wayans dismissed her: “Bitch, how many times did it happen? Just listen to what they’re saying.”

Earlier today, Wayans tweeted that his words were being twisted and he urged his followers to listen to the interview. He pointed in particular to a segment of the interview where he expressed sympathy for Cosby’s victims, saying “my heart goes out to them.”

Damon Wayans and Chrissie Hynde both could use some compulsory rape sensitivity training. Either that, or have their mouths duct-taped. :Ssh:

LittlePinto

Perpetually confused
Registered
Reaction score
I'm good with the second option. I don't think the first would take.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
During the Saturday Night Live anniversary episode, Eddie Murphy declined to crack on Bill Cosby.

Apparently, Murphy has had a change of heart.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
During the Saturday Night Live anniversary episode, Eddie Murphy declined to crack on Bill Cosby.

Apparently, Murphy has had a change of heart.

I was wondering how he'd pull that off. He seemed to stay way along the sidelines (about Cosby not wanting to give back the trophies). I didn't think it was funny but not rage inciting, either. I wonder why he decided to say it.

Last edited:

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was wondering how he'd pull that off. He seemed to stay way along the sidelines (about Cosby not wanting to give back the trophies). I didn't think it was funny but not rage inciting, either. I wonder why he decided to say it.

Maybe because its finally safe to say it?

There is and always will be, a strong contingent of die-hard Cosby supporters who will never believe he is a rapist until he says it in clear and unequivocal language.

Eddie Murphy is not a friend of Bill Cosby, but like most comedians he owes a debt of gratitude to the former funnyman. Taking shots at a icon like Cosby wasn't a popular position to take in the entertainment or the Black community and being the guy to take him on wasn't exactly a path to career enhancement.

Now it's safe to scorn and mock Bill Cosby. I would expect more of the same, not less.