Skeleton found in ancient Greek tomb

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
No angst? Surely there is some we can drum up, just to keep it legit.

It's my fault. I should have gotten butthurt at Vince. Now it would lack plausibility.

ETA:

Wait. Has anyone seen William Haskins? He can offend me, surely.

Last edited:

Synonym

Registered
Reaction score
Underpaid artisans. Wasteful extravagance of the treasury spending tribute on some old mean general. Probably didn't pay the laborers more than a drachma per moon, when they surely deserved at least two...

Synonym

Registered
Reaction score
William must be napping. He'll surely be around sooner or later to comment.

Or we'll see a 'caw'. That usually works for me.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
Thereupon many statesmen and philosophers came to Alexander with their congratulations, and he expected that Diogenes of Sinope also, who was tarrying in Corinth, would do likewise. But since that philosopher took not the slightest notice of Alexander, and continued to enjoy his leisure in the suburb Craneion, Alexander went in person to see him; and he found him lying in the sun. Diogenes raised himself up a little when he saw so many people coming towards him, and fixed his eyes upon Alexander. And when that monarch addressed him with greetings, and asked if he wanted anything, "Yes," said Diogenes, "stand a little out of my sun." - Plutarch

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Underpaid artisans. Wasteful extravagance of the treasury spending tribute on some old mean general. Probably didn't pay the laborers more than a drachma per moon, when they surely deserved at least two...

Pffft. The market should determine how much artisans should be paid. However, I agree with your point about the waste of treasury dollars. Such tombs should be built by private entities, not the government.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
it all falls away

like tattered leaves
from a dying tree.

our gods and kings
and in-between things

rot with the
corpse of history.

and yet we remain,
to bellow and bray,

and pray in fits
of fugue and madness;

to curve like a herd
beset by jackals.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Thereupon many statesmen and philosophers came to Alexander with their congratulations, and he expected that Diogenes of Sinope also, who was tarrying in Corinth, would do likewise. But since that philosopher took not the slightest notice of Alexander, and continued to enjoy his leisure in the suburb Craneion, Alexander went in person to see him; and he found him lying in the sun. Diogenes raised himself up a little when he saw so many people coming towards him, and fixed his eyes upon Alexander. And when that monarch addressed him with greetings, and asked if he wanted anything, "Yes," said Diogenes, "stand a little out of my sun." - Plutarch

And what exactly is that supposed to mean, William? Is this implication directed toward anyone in particular?

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
First jackals, now dogs. Shame on you, sir.

Synonym

Registered
Reaction score
Depends on the dog. The skeleton of Anubis might cause quite a stir...

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
It's Haskins again, Haggis. He's the one who's always sneering about dog skulls. I mean, he even put one in his Thorn Forest poem.

Last edited:

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
oh, you are a wicked, wicked man.

Haggis? Are you going to ban him?

I mean, he didn't even offer us any scotch.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Well, damnation. You're going to force me to read pomes again, ain't you?

*mutter, mutter, mutter*

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I'm with Haggis. What the hell did you expect to find there, a still warm dinner with the family missing?

Now THAT would be a mystery worthy of 24/7 news coverage.

Plumbing facilities perhaps, with the toilet still running?

http://articles.latimes.com/2000/jul/27/local/me-60092

Sorry, but all the "what else do you expect to find in a tomb?" stuff made me think of this.

Seriously, I hope they can get a better idea who it might be in the Greek tomb.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Seriously, I hope they can get a better idea who it might be in the Greek tomb.

You'd think, with all the decorations and the size of the thing, that there's a clue in there somewhere. Shouldn't his/her name be engraved somewhere?

At any rate, it's apparently splendid enough to be a royal tomb.

I'm dying of curiosity.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
You'd think, with all the decorations and the size of the thing, that there's a clue in there somewhere. Shouldn't his/her name be engraved somewhere?

At any rate, it's apparently splendid enough to be a royal tomb.

I'm dying of curiosity.
What is it with this preoccupation with the ruling class? History is the struggle of the common man to escape the clutches of the ruling class, yet every time old tombs built for the privileged few with the blood and sweat of thousands are found, everybody goes all gaga.

Besides, Alexander was one of the most bloodthirsty of all the rulers of all time. He spent most of his ruling years leading a campaign to enslave ever-larger territories to do his bidding. He's a picture-book example of an imperialist megalomaniac, and people get all excited about the possibility of finding his evil bones?

I don't get it.

Last edited:

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
What is it with this preoccupation with the ruling class? History is the struggle of the common man to escape the clutches of the ruling class, yet every time old tombs built for the privileged few with the blood and sweat of thousands are found, everybody goes all gaga.

Besides, Alexander was one of the most bloodthirsty of all the rulers of all time. He spent most of his ruling years leading a campaign to enslave ever-larger territories to do his bidding. He's a picture-book example of an imperialist megalomaniac, and people get all excited about the possibility of finding his evil bones?

I don't get it.

At last this thread has some angst.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score

I don't get it.

History is several stories but the old verbal epics mostly serve to tell stories that remind us that we are safe, that we are secure. A strongman who fights dragons, armies, and storms, and wins is a satiating story. It fits into our catalogue of stories quite well.

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com

I don't get it.

Look on the bright side - it'd prove he's not an immortal.