The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Stiff Rain Press

practical experience, FTW

Stiff Rain Press

I found them on Facebook. Here's their site. I recognize some of their authors: http://www.stiffrainpress.com/

practical experience, FTW Pisco Sour's Avatar
    Is it just me or is there no submissions info?

EDITED TO ADD: Just read their Fact and Answers to Questions...way at the bottom. Facebook and Blogger 'friending' may lead to somebody referring an author, or to their interest in reading material from new authors. Or something.
    Last edited by Pisco Sour; 11-13-2014 at 12:06 AM.

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    Essentially, they are not open to submissions. But the reasons provided for that make no sense to me at all.
    Emily Veinglory

The King and Queen of Cheese BenPanced's Avatar
    Yeah, I'm flummoxed, as well. If you aren't accepting submissions, leave it at that.
    Last edited by BenPanced; 11-13-2014 at 03:56 AM.
    I still poop rainbows.

I won't steal any of your ideas. I have enough of my own I'm not using.

Quote Originally Posted by veinglory View Post
    Essentially, they are not open to submissions. But the reasons provided for that make no sense to me at all.
    Yeah. "We would accept submissions, but the ones we get are so shitty they've ruined it for the rest of you. So we don't accept them. But if you're not shitty, here's what we like!"

Utterly baffling.
    MAYBE IN PARIS - YA contemporary - coming June 6th 2017 from Sky Pony Press! Now available to preorder on Amazon!

Represented by Rebecca Podos of Rees Literary!

Add my book on Goodreads!

Facebook - I don't really know what I'm doing there yet
    Twitter - Sometimes I'm funny there
    Tumblr - My blog

On a small world west of wonder LindaJeanne's Avatar
    Um, guys at Stiff Rain: EVERYONE's slush makes Sturgeon's Law look exceedingly optimistic. Complaining about it makes you look inexperienced. Just sayin'.

Yeah, being closed to submissions is fine. But complaining about the fact that their slush pile is filled with slush is just weird.
    "A story told, that can't be real / yet somehow must reflect the truth we feel..." -- Black Sabbath / Ronnie James Dio

Resist. Love. Go outside. Marlys's Avatar
    The way I read it, they don't take unsolicited submissions, but if you contact them through Facebook or Blogger with an inquiry they will (if interested) give you an email address for you to submit.
    I'm a twit, too: @PearsonMarlys

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    I read it more as you need to suck up to one or more of their authors enough to get one of them to recommend you and make an introduction. Possibly while trying to guess which of those authors actually own the press?
    Emily Veinglory

Quote Originally Posted by veinglory View Post
    I read it more as you need to suck up to one or more of their authors enough to get one of them to recommend you and make an introduction. Possibly while trying to guess which of those authors actually own the press?
    According to their Blog, author Carol Lynne is co-owner.

practical experience, FTW
    Quote Originally Posted by Pisco Sour View Post
    According to their Blog, author Carol Lynne is co-owner.
    Always good to know who the person running the place is.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlys View Post
    The way I read it, they don't take unsolicited submissions, but if you contact them through Facebook or Blogger with an inquiry they will (if interested) give you an email address for you to submit.
    Yes, this is correct. I have authors email or contact me through my facebook page all the time. We're always open to submissions, but I prefer to speak with those interested to answer basic questions before they submit. If interested, my personal email is lorac1984@yahoo.com. I have an official Stiff Rain email as well, but since I answer all emails through the above address, it makes sense to email it directly.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Updating URL (NSFW): http://www.stiffrainpress.com/Home

However, it closed June '15.

Dear Readers,

It is with great sadness that we must inform you all that Stiff Rain Press will be closing its virtual doors, effective June 30, 2015.

A few years ago, we conceived the SRP concept and launched Stiff Rain Press into a stable book market that was profitable for both professional authors and reputable publishers. However, a lot has changed in the last two years and we find that we can no longer sustain a viable publishing house and be competitive in today’s very flooded, devalued book market. It would not be good business to remain open, and not fair of us as a company to continue to take a percentage of sales from the authors when they are already making so little for their hard work. Rather than get to a point of no return, we decided it would be best to close our doors now while giving our authors everything they need to succeed either in self-publishing or submitting their books to another publisher.

We know that, in a stable market, we would have found much success with the amazing, professional authors writing for us. Unfortunately, the market is not advantageous for an erotic publishing house at this time. However, we believe in their work and encourage you to purchase their books despite the closing of Stiff Rain Press.

Website customers, we want to take a moment to thank you for all your direct support. Along with the authors, you have made this time together a blast. So, we ask you to please download any purchases you have made that you wish to keep a copy of since the website's virtual library will disappear once we close.

We'll miss you all. We dream that, one day, Stiff Rain Press will be able to open again in a competitive market that is primed and ready for quality erotic literature.

Sincerely,

Stiff Rain Press
    Erotic Literature, Hard and Wet
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

figuring it all out lexi_dubois's Avatar
    Yep they closed. I hated it too because my books were with them and I got along great with my editor.

Quote Originally Posted by lexi_dubois View Post
    Yep they closed. I hated it too because my books were with them and I got along great with my editor.

I know! I had a book with them, but the good news was that it was then picked up by Totally Bound! Have you tried them?