Stay warm, my friends

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
A BIG Arctic blast is headed for the central and eastern U.S., extending all the way to the Gulf of Mexico:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/to...across-the-united-states-this-week/ar-AA7DkNX

Meantime, we here in Alaska are enjoying about the warmest fall I can remember, in 25 years of living here. It's raining tonight, just a little, which might not be good for morning, as it is supposed to freeze. But we've only had one minor snowfall so far, and the past few days have melted all of that.

At this time of year, we need some snow on the ground. There's a whole little-animal ecosystem that depends on snow cover, and it ain't good for plants, either, if it gets really cold with no snow cover.

All apparently related to the super-typhoon Nuri that skirted up the east Asian coastline and altered big weather circulation patterns. That typhoon was generated in the very warm mid-Pacific a few weeks ago, and was an unusually strong storm system that, fortunately, didn't strike really vulnerable, heavily-populated regions. This is probably evidence of what happens when you warm up the atmosphere and hydrosphere to levels not usually seen, thereby putting energy into the weather systems that needs to be dissipated, somehow. This is how.

caw

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Dude, it's already hit Texas. I'm all for a cool down, but my dogs are looking at me with judging faces for making them go outside, like I did this to them.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
We've been hit for a few days already. Typical November weather.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
When I woke up this morning, it was one degree, and now even that one has gone into hiding.

And there's not even enough snow to make it worth while.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
It's supposed to come tomorrow here. I'm not a happy camper, because I have outdoor projects that need to get done in certain temperatures.

(I did do them earlier, too. I have to do small bits at a time because of my bad back/neck. So I didn't just procrastinate :) ).

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Of COURSE, it's gonna snow -- I have to depend on public transit for a doctor's appointment tomorrow! :p

Crayonz

Tribal Flame Warden Ducky
Registered
Reaction score
We got hit pretty hard temperature-wise early this morning (-22°F) because of the blast, but now it's back to typical Wyoming winter (-5°F). Or at least, that's typical according to the natives. This is my first winter here, so yeah. Bit of a shock to the system when I took my pup out for a potty break this morning. ;) We've had snowfall for the past two days, so at least it looks winter-y on top of being cold.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
83 and not a cloud in the sky here in south-central Florida. News like this reminds me why I relocated from southern Indiana 14 years ago. :)

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
83 and not a cloud in the sky here in south-central Florida. News like this reminds me why I relocated from southern Indiana 14 years ago. :)
I'm sure Florida will get theirs soon enough. I came down to Rio Hondo, TX from Rochester, NY this year. And overnight we experienced a 40 degree drop in temps from this arctic jewel. Going from mid 80's to 45 with 20 mph north winds and rain is not fun. Especially when you have two large dogs to walk, regardless what the weather's doing. I could have stayed in NY and had better weather. :tongue

dfwtinman

Cubic Zirconia in the rough
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"Stay warm, my friends"

Is our OP none other than the world's most interesting man?

Synonym

Registered
Reaction score
A three dog night, for sure.

And here I am with only two...

Synonym

Registered
Reaction score
Yesterday, I shared an elevator with a lady who professed her love for cold weather.

"Oh, it's wonderful. It makes me walk faster, feel more alive!"

After backing up a foot or so from the 'crazy' person, I smiled and offered inane platitudes. (While keeping my thoughts to myself.)

Things like, "Well of course we're walking faster. Slow down and your blood might freeze! Sheez. A few days of slowly dropping temps would have been nice to get in the mood for this crap." General bitching about nature, mostly.

A 50 degree drop in the temperature will bring the grouch out in a person.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
It's a good thing they changed the crisis meme from "Global Warming" to "Climate Change" when they did. :ROFL:

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Down to 29 degrees in Central Texas this morning. Fortunately, I come from Colorado, so this only makes me pull out my medium-heavy coat. :D

Now, Denver this morning, at 6 with a -16 wind chill, would make me break out the REAL cold weather gear. Brrr...

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
It'll bring out the grouch and sinuses that revolt, if you're like me! I don't know why that is, but it never fails.

Ours is a big more gradual, though. It's about 20 degrees colder than yesterday, and tomorrow drops about another 10. That's better than all in one day, so I can't complain too much.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I thought it was funny this morning when Arizona had the same temperature as we did in southern Wisconsin -- 22. :D

Yeah, but where in AZ? Our overnight low at my house was 58F. Bet you didn't have any highs in WI that were close. :tongue

MM

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
10* this a.m. My classroom was like an ice box yesterday because the wind kept slamming against my windows. Not much better today. I do have a coupe of red geraniums and begonias in bloom so that helps brighten the gray day a little--s6