[Critique Game] Post The First Three Sentences of your Short Story

Lauram6123

Registered
Reaction score
Okay...here's mine:

Five minutes ago, I meandered out of the trees with freshly picked strawberries cupped in my shirttail, ready to surprise my husband. Turns out, I was the one surprised.

And now, I swear, I can’t even breathe.

Denevius

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Five minutes ago, I meandered out of the trees with freshly picked strawberries cupped in my shirttail, ready to surprise my husband. Turns out, I was the one surprised.

I think the tone is off. The implication of this seems to be that the narrator has just, or is at the moment, experiencing something extreme. Whether it's good or bad is unknown at this point. But her tone as she relates this in no way suggests that she can't even breathe at this moment. Her tone, instead, is leisurely and matter-of-fact. And this kills any urgency, or tension, in the three lines.

This probably wouldn't get me to read further.

hereticdoll

Registered
Reaction score
Scott sat in the dining room he hated, rubbing his heavy eyes and tapping a pencil on his notepad, Why am I so tired? There was a novelty cat mug placed beside him, and he took up the obnoxious ceramic. He pressed the rim to his lips to sip his coffee, and winced at the smell of cough syrup that plagued it, That's right, my wife is trying to kill me.

Last edited:

Lauram6123

Registered
Reaction score
Scott sat in dining room he hated, rubbing his heavy eyes and tapping a pencil on a notepad, Why am I so tiered? (tired?) There was a novelty cat mug placed beside him, and he took up the obnoxious ceramic. He pressed the rim to his lips to sip his coffee, and winced at the smell of cough syrup that plagued it, That's right, my wife is trying to kill me.

First sentence: I think the thought in italics would work better as its own sentence. I do like that Scott hates his dining room. That tells me a lot.
Second sentence: The two phrases could be combined, I think.
Third sentence: Does he know that the smell is cough syrup? If so, why is he drinking it? And I think his wife will have to get a little more aggressive than cough syrup if she wants to kill him.

Overall, there is a lot of play by play... mug placed next to him, took it up, pressed rim to his lips, sipping coffee, wincing... I feel like there's much there that could be inferred by the reader and doesn't need to be spelled out.

I do like the scenario and am curious about it.

JetFueledCar

tiny hedgehog
Registered
Reaction score
Scott sat in the dining room he hated, rubbing his heavy eyes and tapping a pencil on his notepad, Why am I so tired? There was a novelty cat mug placed beside him, and he took up the obnoxious ceramic. He pressed the rim to his lips to sip his coffee, and winced at the smell of cough syrup that plagued it, That's right, my wife is trying to kill me.

First, strictly speaking, this isn't three sentences. Each of those internal thoughts should be separated out by a period, not a comma, so it's actually five sentences.

Second, this is very tell-y. I'm not getting any particular emotion from it after the first sentence. The details are presented without any significance to them. Why does he use the mug if he hates it? Did his wife give it to him? (If so, why is he drinking from it if she's trying to kill him?) But the mug is presented so blandly that I don't care enough to stick around and find this out.

I liked the first sentence, though. One of those things I read quickly, then go back and read again and again and pick up another little detail every time.

The thing I'm curious about at the end is whether he's serious about his wife trying to kill him. If I got this far (and I usually do get a paragraph in), I might give you another paragraph to hook me because of that line. After that, if I wasn't thoroughly invested in Scott, I'd stop.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Scott sat in the dining room he hated, rubbing his heavy eyes and tapping a pencil on his notepad. Why am I so tired? There was a novelty cat mug placed beside him, and he took up the obnoxious ceramic. He pressed the rim to his lips to sip his coffee, and winced at the smell of cough syrup that plagued it.That's right, my wife is trying to kill me.

Correctly punctuated, this is five sentences rather than the requisite three.

This feels a bit forced and overwritten to me, particularly the description of the mug and the blow-by-blow of Scott's actions in taking a drink. I know that Scott is tired, but the writing feels logy, too, and that would keep me from reading on.

Denevius

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score

The sentences are a bit crowded. The thoughts should be in lines by themselves.

Also, nothing much is happening, which might make readers hesitate to read on.

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
Okay...here's mine:

Okay, admittedly I would read on because I want to know if he's banging that hottie in the cabin next door who probably came out in JUST her shirt tails to seduce this woman's husband once our heroine innocently bounded off, but...um...*ahem*

Stabbing would work, too. Or a bear. :greenie

i do wonder, after reading Denevius's crit, if it would heighten things if you put this in realtime instead? Have us with her as she comes bounding out of the woods, all look what I've got honey! Then boom. You might be creating false suspension as is that would work even better if you cut the mental stuck in the past bit up front. Dunno? I'd have to see the rest.

~Winks, who would like to know if it's a hottie in shirt tails, IT with a knife, or a man in a bear costume

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net

Works for me, I gotta read on to find out what she (I'm assuming) is seeing. Or indeed saw five minutes ago... which is something I'd maybe drop so it's happening right now.

I can see as how you wanted to include that last line, it's the hook, though there seems too much crammed into what's supposed to be 3 sentences. Overlooking this, I'd read a bit more to see what Scott does next and why he's drinking even though he knows what's going on.

-Derek

mafiaking1936

Nihil debetur. Nihil debens.
Registered
Reaction score

This mostly works, but yeah, it should be five sentences. I would remove 'heavy' and move 'obnoxious' to where 'novelty' is. Too many adjectives in too few sentences just really grates on me. Also maybe remove 'to sip his coffee,' since that can be inferred just from the fact that he's putting the thing to his mouth. I'd say it's best to make the reader do as much of the work as possible when it comes to visualizing the scene, giving just enough description to make it accurate.

Nerdilydone

Banned
Reaction score
Okay...here's mine:

I actually really like this. Like, a lot. It feels really personal. I like how austere it is -- something as simple as walking with strawberries becomes the MC's (I assume) nightmare. I would read.

CassieArroway

Registered
Reaction score
When I write an opening, the first thing I want to do is try to make the reader ask a question. Your first sentence here doesn't do that, but your second does. Actually, it asks several: what place is your character looking at, why was he in France, and what awful thing happened over the winter? You might think about dropping the first sentence and starting with the second one.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When I write an opening, the first thing I want to do is try to make the reader ask a question. Your first sentence here doesn't do that, but your second does. Actually, it asks several: what place is your character looking at, why was he in France, and what awful thing happened over the winter? You might think about dropping the first sentence and starting with the second one.

Hi, CassieArroway, and welcome to AW.

A couple of things: first, if you use the "Reply with Quote" option, the post to which you're responding will appear in your reply (as I've done above). This helps cut back on confusion when there are multiple posts/posters in a thread. Second, I believe you are critting a post from the very first page of this thread - which dates back to 2014. The original poster has no doubt moved forward in the three intervening years. ;)

May I suggest that your next post be over at the New Members subforum? If you'll start a thread there to introduce yourself, you'll get a proper welcome and a handful of helpful links to aid you in navigating this forum.

Denevius

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Title: SOUL SIFTERS. Genre: Science Fiction. Estimated Word Count: 5000 words.

First three lines below.

The woman frowned at the cake crumbs smashed against the plastic rims of the wooden table and said to the man sitting across from her, “You’re not easy to find, Hwang Hun Cheol.”

The man who accepted the human name Hwang Hun Cheol stared at her from behind the pitch-black lenses of his soul sifter glasses and conceded, “I’m not easy to find.”

Hun Cheol blinked, and the woman’s physical form fell away for a moment while he counted the brightest alpha entities making up her personality.

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
The woman frowned at the cake crumbs smashed against the plastic rims of the wooden table and said to the man sitting across from her, “You’re not easy to find, Hwang Hun Cheol.”

The man who accepted the human name Hwang Hun Cheol stared at her from behind the pitch-black lenses of his soul sifter glasses and conceded, “I’m not easy to find.”

Hun Cheol blinked, and the woman’s physical form fell away for a moment while he counted the brightest alpha entities making up her personality.
Would I read further? Yes, there is an intriguing picture shaping up there, and I like complex sentences, too. But would I enjoy reading it? Most definitely not. Unless the sentence structure starts changing in the next paragraph. I'll follow the story if there are intriguing things happening throughout, since it's a short work and a bit of discomfort could be worth it.
:e2cookie:

pamrobi

Registered
Reaction score
Sounds intriguing, I want to see more. But I have a couple of suggestion for tightening up the language below.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/znw8b9/lfw-street-style-bloggers-942

The woman frowned at the man sitting across from her. [unless the cake crumbs are important somewhere further in, not sure you need them.] “You’re not easy to find, Hwang Hun Cheol.”

Hwang Hun Cheol stared at her from behind the pitch-black lenses of his soul sifter glasses. [mentioning the glasses tells us he's probably not human and avoids repetition. Your dialogue also "shows" him conceding, so you don't need that tag.] “I’m not easy to find.”

Hun Cheol blinked, and the woman’s physical form fell away for a moment, allowing him to count the brightest alpha entities making up her personality.

Freya Yuki

Registered
Reaction score
Website
freyayuki.tumblr.com

First three lines below.

The soul sifter glasses sounds interesting. Starting with the woman gave the impression she was the MC. Maybe start with the man instead? Also, maybe the "I'm not easy to find" can be omitted since we've already been told the man conceded, and having the dialog just feels like repetition because the woman already said he wasn't easy to find. Maybe he could already ask her what she wants or say something else. Just my 2 cents. Hope this helps :)

Lauram6123

Registered
Reaction score
Title:

The first sentence feels bogged down with prepositional phrases... at the cake crumbs, against the plastic rims, of the wooden table. I want the dialogue sooner.

With the second sentence, I feel like it would be stronger without the pitch-black lenses. I mean, soul-sifter glasses are such a startling and cool thing, they don't need extra description, at least not at that moment.

In the third sentence, I have two issues. First, I don't think the for a moment adds anything. Secondly, the while implies that the woman's physical form fell away at the same time he counted the entities, rather than after her form fell away.

Even though I'm not a SF reader, you've gotten my attention, so I'd read on.

sideshowdarb

Registered
Reaction score
I'll give it a go. From the current WIP:

I fling the twitching glue trap out the window into the water creeping over Flushing Ave., just as a woman splashes through it on horseback, onto the dry asphalt shore. Only in New York, baby. Five minutes later, she’s in the doorway of my office, eyes down on the floor, unsure if she’s going to get stuck if she walks in.

Last edited:

Denevius

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I fling the twitching glue trap out the window into the water creeping over Flushing Ave., just as a woman splashes through it on horseback, onto the dry asphalt shore. Only in New York, baby. Five minutes later, she’s is in the doorway of my office, eyes down on the floor, unsure if she’s going to get stuck if she walks in.

First, cool, Flushing Avenue. I lived there for a couple of years.

The first line is too long, and was confusing to read. You could smoothen it out by ending the sentence at horseback. Not sure that prepositional phrase is needed.

The second line is pretentiously New York, though I guess since we're in what seems to be a New Yorker's POV, that's excusable, if unlikeable. New Yorkers do seem to think that what happens there is completely unique from the rest of the world.

For the last line, you've switched to the woman's POV in the last dependent clause.

Overall, this is just kind of a confusing opening which doesn't exactly motivate me to read on.

dpaterso

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I fling the twitching glue trap out the window into the water creeping over Flushing Ave., just as a woman splashes through it on horseback, onto the dry asphalt shore. Only in New York, baby. Five minutes later, she’s in the doorway of my office, eyes down on the floor, unsure if she’s going to get stuck if she walks in.
I like the easy style, I'd read more. Gotta wonder what's in the glue trap if it's twitching. And what service the MC offers, that someone would ride through flooded streets to get to them.

-Derek

AcaciaNeem

Registered
Reaction score
Take the day off, they said, her sisters, You’re no good at the pole tonight, and Shelly left. She took off the feathered costume at a go, instead of bit by teasing bit to reveal her brown skin like she did each evening. This time nobody watched her. Not when she took off her painted face, nor the eyelashes that batted and winked, bringing wolf whistles, drunken cheers and dollar bills.

dpaterso

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Take the day off, they said, her sisters, You’re no good at the pole tonight, and Shelly left. She took off the feathered costume at a go, instead of bit by teasing bit to reveal her brown skin like she did each evening. This time nobody watched her. Not when she took off her painted face, nor the eyelashes that batted and winked, bringing wolf whistles, drunken cheers and dollar bills.
This feels kinda rushed, I had problems following that last line, maybe you're shoveling too much into the first 3 sentences instead of letting the opening breathe. "at a go" = "in one go" ? I'd still read a couple more lines to see where it's going and what's upset Shelly so much that she can't pole dance.

-Derek