My NaNo Panic

Rockweaver

Registered
Reaction score
Just wanted to share this with all of you so you don't have this happen.

I have been working on my NaNo project on a flash drive. Taking it to work and spending breaks working on my project. Keeping it with me and working every chance I get.

Last night I picked up my kids from Gymnastics and due to Voting had to go in the back entrance to the schools Gym.

Unknown to me I dropped the flash drive. I spent the night looking for it and had no luck.

This morning i went back with a flash light at 5am.
mind you its still raining. I managed to find the drive.
its fine the story is safe.

Long story short the "moral" of this story is.

Make a back up in a couple of places. Do not be a Rock and come very close to loosing your only copy of your project.

You may now laugh. (and make a backup of your book)

Thanks and have a great day.

Sadly I usually have 2 or 3 copies in my Gmail account and or dropbox. As a gamer and a researcher I usually make a daily copy of everything expecting bad luck and power failures. So even the ones of us who are super careful can and will make a mistake.

Now back to my NaNo

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
I always think, nah, everything is safe, nothing will happen.

So I am waiting for the day everything fails for me :O

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
I usually send a copy to my husband from my email. That way, there's a copy in both our emails. :)

Glad you found it!

AshleyEpidemic

Did you see my bag?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.soipondered.wordpress.com
I know the pain. I wrote a whole novel. Made a pass with editing, then my flash drive died. I hadn't backed up for a couple weeks. I lost more than half my novel filled with edits and rewrites. Luckily, Scrivener is a godsend and keeps local backups.

Never again.

I currently back up two two additional flash drives aside from my main one. I should go back to cloud storage, but I've had disasters from that as well.

Glad you found your drive safe and intact. Lucky, lucky you.

Mark Moore

Banned
Reaction score
I usually back up to my external hard drive with a flash drive backup every so often. Whenever I backup videos or music and have some space left over on the DVD-R, I add my writing directories as well.