• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

DAW Books

dlparker

It's cold out there
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bewilderingstories.com
Yes, DAW does seem quick on rejections (and that's a step above many others I'll leave unnamed). But going on two years for "possibles" and no yea or nay? Longer than I can stand to wait.

Thanks, CaoPaux, for posting the information on the UK Penguin open submissions period. I took advantage of it to send them an email. Maybe the Brits will be timelier. :)

Kari

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if this is the place for a question such as this, but I didn't want to create a new thread for something already being discussed, and my use of the search function led me here with regards to questions concerning DAW's response times.

My question is, in their submission guidelines, DAW mentions you may include a postcard with your SASE that they will return when your manuscript is "logged-in."

Now it seems from what I've been reading that response times appear to be quite long with DAW, but what about the postcard? Does anyone have any experience with this? I suppose I'm resolved to wait for some time on an actual decision, but in the meantime, it would still mean a fair amount just to get that postcard back indicating my manuscript is logged-in so I at least know it's on the line to being considered eventually.

Until then my paranoia is keeping me convinced my manuscript is lost under a desk somewhere.

Last edited:

KimJo

Outside the box, with the werewolves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
karennacolcroft.com
Response times are long for DAW if you get through to their second read. Hearing back on whether you make it through the first read seems to only take a couple months. Sometimes less; as I stated a couple posts ago, I got my rejection from them in less than a month, and that included the time it took my submission and their rejection to go through the postal service.

I can't help you on how long it takes for them to send the postcard back, because I didn't bother with one; after seeing on this thread that most people were hearing in about two months on whether DAW wanted to proceed with them or not, I didn't see the need for the extra step of sending a postcard.

zanizh

Lost in Revision Hell
Registered
Reaction score
Response times are long for DAW if you get through to their second read. Hearing back on whether you make it through the first read seems to only take a couple months. Sometimes less; as I stated a couple posts ago, I got my rejection from them in less than a month, and that included the time it took my submission and their rejection to go through the postal service.

I can't help you on how long it takes for them to send the postcard back, because I didn't bother with one; after seeing on this thread that most people were hearing in about two months on whether DAW wanted to proceed with them or not, I didn't see the need for the extra step of sending a postcard.

I second this response. Don't think it would make any difference either way.

It took DAW only two months to let me know I'd passed the first reading. Six months later when I sent a follow-up, I received a reply that they still had it in consideration. It's been a year now and I've just sent another follow-up. We'll see.

Kari

Registered
Reaction score
well, seems like a long haul either way then, thanks for the input, it helps to have word from people who have been through the process (or just entered it) before me!

zanizh

Lost in Revision Hell
Registered
Reaction score
I just received a response to my second follow-up. Mr. Stampfel sent me a little hand written note, "Thank you and I'm sorry the process takes so long! - Peter"

For the record, I first submitted 15 months ago. But it's all good. I'm keeping busy and working on other things as I wait.

MeeMee2000

Registered
Reaction score
[Publisher] DAW Books

Wow - I'm really surprised there isn't already a thread for Daw Books. Since I didn't see one after doing a search, I guess I'll be the first...

Has anyone had experience submitting to them? If so, what was your impression? Are they good about getting back to you within 3 months? If they rejected your novel, did they explain why? Those types of things...

Thanks!

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
There is a thread, but it's for all of Penguin Group, of which DAW is an imprint. :)

I'm sure the mod with teleport this there, but in the mean time, here's the link: <snipped>

Last edited by a moderator:

MeeMee2000

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Amergina! I thought it was strange that there wouldn't be a thread already. Weird that the Search function didn't pick up DAW in the title of the thread in your link. Go figure. Thanks again! I'll go check it out right now!

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Thanks, Amergina! I thought it was strange that there wouldn't be a thread already. Weird that the Search function didn't pick up DAW in the title of the thread in your link. Go figure. Thanks again! I'll go check it out right now!

No problem!

For this sub-forum, your best bet to find a thread for a particular agent or publisher is to go to the Index post in the stickies at the top of the forum and use your browser's search function. Cuts to the chase. :)

K.Bristow

Somewhere between sanity & jumping
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, glad I found this thread before I handed my post lady my packaged up manuscript addressed to DAW. I have a trilogy to offer them (2 out of the 3 are completed and refined 3rd is 3/4 written) I guess I'll float in the quagmire of agent hunting rather than drown while treading water for DAW.

peer54

i rite gud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
DAW Sf/F Anthologies?

Hi,

I've been trying to hunt down open calls for DAW fantasy and sci-fi anthologies but I can't seem to find any. Does anyone know where the calls are posted?

Thank you!

Deleted member 42

All the ones I know of are invitation only; even the once open Darkover anthologies seem to have become invitation only.

Rebnatan

Registered
Reaction score
I am surprised by the delays mentioned here

I just shipped off my novel to DAW, based on their submission page:
It may require up to three months or more for our editors to review a submission and come to a decision. If you want to be sure we have received your manuscript, please enclose a stamped, self-addressed postcard that we will return when your manuscript is logged in.
If I don't hear anything from them after three months, their exclusive option is finished, and I am free to submit elsewhere. Note that it says "...up to three months..." I am not giving them a long-term freeze of my work.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
No, it says "...up to three months or more..."

Three months is *nothing* in the publishing world, I'm afraid. It can take a month or two for editors to work through agented fiction. If they've changed their submission guidelines to allow multiple submissions after the three-month mark, then go for it. But chances are you'll be waiting for a reply five to six months later, anyway. Maybe longer.

Be careful which other publishers you submit to, because some of them won't consider multiple submissions. Whether the 'exclusive option' has ended or not, your mms is still with DAW until they say yes or send a rejection. And here's the scary part: editors do talk to each other. If you are not completely up front with your second choice submissions, they could find out anyway.

Rebnatan, had you even considered finding an agent before you submitted directly? If you've already tried, so be it. But if you haven't, you may have just crossed DAW off the list for any future agent submissions. Of course, if they do say yes, you are in an excellent position to find an agent then. With an offer from DAW, you could probably snag nearly any agent you wanted, as long as they liked you and your work.

This is a complicated game, and sometimes it's tricky to plan the next move. Good luck with your submission!

Jamiekswriter

USA Today Bestselling Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com
From what I understand DAW only has two acquiring editors Betty and her business partner, Sheila. They have to also run every other department, so that might explain the time frame.

chekzchevov

soup
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I submitted my 180,000 word manuscript to DAW back in June. They got back to me with a standard rejection letter by the end of the week. Needless to say, that was very uplifting

/sarcasm

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Hey, it was a fast answer. With Tor, you might have waited a year or more.
And even though I champion longer word counts if the story calls for it, 180K might be a bit much for the current market. My agent says she can and has recently talked DAW into taking something in the 130K range.

Pegster

Girando e fuzzicando
Registered
Reaction score
If it helps, I submitted to DAW in Oct 2009 and had a rev and resub letter from them by December. The sticky thing is it's 2012 now and there have been 3 revisions and two more subs. DAW moves at a gentler pace, but I understand submissions go through Peter Stampfel and then to the readers. The initial letter I received was from Stampfel, but I think the deciders are Betsy Wolheim and/or Sheila Gilbert. A firmly established DAW author told me to not do multiple submissions--I had to send letters to the other publishers requesting they destroy/delete. As it was, two of them sent me form rejection slips for my scrapbook.

Marniy

Tastes like happy
Registered
Reaction score
Hiya,

I currently have a mss in the DAW slush pile. I submitted it in October, and received the "We got your mss" return postcard mid-December. So, I know it's been opened.
Now, I'm past the "We usually reply within 90 days window".

Does anyone know if they send an email or note saying a submission has been held for further consideration? From an earlier post, it sounded like someone received such a letter.

I'm dithering on if I should send a follow-up inquiry, or just wait for news.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
If you are really hyped about DAW, I'd suggest waiting a few months longer. Think of this as an excellent time to work on another book. I hear from someone published through DAW that if they wait longer than 150 days, that means they're considering it more closely, FWIW. A gentle inquiry by now might not be a bad move.

Marniy

Tastes like happy
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the insight!

150 days? I'll post it on my calendar.
I think I can wait until then to send my follow-up. I certainly don't want to be a pest. :)

No news is good news is my current mantra.

Last edited:

Marniy

Tastes like happy
Registered
Reaction score
Just a quick update. I sent a note to Peter Stampfel inquiring on the status of my submission after 150 days. I just got a brief return note today that said my book has been held so they can take a longer look, but that they're very slow.

I'm thrilled to have made it past the first blush. I didn't expect to get even that far. It's also a relief to know it's not lost or propping up a wobbly table. If I don't hear back, I guess I'll give them another poke in another 6 months or so. :)

Back to work...