• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

LitFire Publishing

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
ASI, then LitFire. Cheat me once, shame on you. Cheat me twice, shame on me. I was hoping in this second decade of the 21st century, these things would be starting to die on the vine by now. Looks like I was over-optimistic.

TheArchives

Registered
Reaction score
Website
thearchivest.wordpress.com
"LitFire is an Author Solutions clone established by ex-ASI Philippines call center employees who are using ASI client lists or other proprietary ASI information to identify and solicit victims." I believe you are right, but bear in mind that Book Country somehow plays into this as well as Portia told me she'd read my novel there. I mean, yes, it's there but not very easy to find....

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I suspect the only real link between them is 'Portia' browsing through Book Country to look for likely victims. I'm not that thrilled with Book Country (YADS yawn), but I don't think it's in the same class as LitFire and ASI.

Companies like the latter are always looking for new venues to find unsuspecting writers. Every book festival in my region will have a booth for ASI or PublishAmerica/America Star, as well as smaller vanity pubs. They try to work their way into genre conventions, and local writers' workshops and community college writing programs. They haunt twitter pitch sessions to 'invite' mms subs. They game open-nomination polls and contests with their authors' work, for use in future 'industry validation posts'.

But they're not actually - usually - affiliated directly with any of these.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
I suspect the only real link between them is 'Portia' browsing through Book Country to look for likely victims.
I agree. Book Country runs on ASI technology, but (unlike other ASI "imprints" associated with big publishers) is not staffed by ASI.

- Victoria

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ermagerd. That press release is so sloppy.

Also, when I click on the link to get more information on what they're charging, Firefox is throwing up an untrusted connection warning.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Fees range from $1,550 (for the Exhibit Only package), which consists of
  • Shelf Space (1 Book Slot)
  • Digital Poster (with Author, Book and Ordering Details)
  • (100) Bookmarks 2.5″ x 7″
  • News Release
  • Shipment and Handling
  • Photo Documentation
to $7,799 for the Author VIP Exhibit + Autograph package, which includes

• Shelf Space (1 book slot)
  • Digital poster (with Author, Book, and Ordering Details)
  • Poster 16″ x 24″ (with Author, Book, and Ordering Details)
  • (100) Bookmarks 2.5″ x 7″
  • News Release
  • Shipment and Handling
  • Photo Documentation
  • Full Page Advertisement in the BEA Catalog
  • 1 Year PubMatch Directory Profile
  • 1 Hour Autograph Session
  • 1 Author Badge, inclusive of:
    • 100 Free Book Copies / Giveaways
    • Shipping and handling fees to NYC
    • Coordination assistance with BEA Autographing Director
    • Access to Author Green Room
    • Dedicated Table Assignment
    • Ropes, security, and crowd assistance
    • Free book storage (pre-show)
    • Event Listing on the BEA Website
    • Event Listing in BEA Autographing Program
    • Event Listing on BEA Signs (at the Show)

I especially love "Ropes, security, and crowd assistance." Because I'm sure the lines will be round the block.

- Victoria

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
In a week, my book arts agents will have half a dozen of my pieces - among those from several hundred other artists - at the San Francisco Antiquarian Book Fair. It's one of the largest such fairs in the US, drawing book collectors from all over the world. Plus, lots of collectors. With money.

Several of my pieces will probably sell. My agents will collect a commission - which they've amply earned. I get another nice listing on my CV. I'm certainly not paying my agents the equivalent of LitFire's package fees. And I'm willing to bet my agents will have more booth traffic.

pinkbowvintage

♔
Registered
Reaction score
Just wanted to pop in to say ever since I put my YA book blurb on my Twitter bio, I've been getting TONS of follows from these authors. They all have the same kind of aesthetic to their Twitters (the cover and title in as their header photo, a professional headshot as their profile picture), so I checked where their books where from and yup, all published by LitFire.

I keep getting more of these too. I assume they just follow me because I write "author" in my bio.

PeteDutcher

Twitter: @petedutcherjr
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Times must be hard for them, because I just got a phone message from them concerning my one book on Smashwords (all my other books are Amazon exclusive). So they are trolling Smashwords for clients now.

Anna204

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this has been asked and answered, but how do they get our phone numbers? I just had an annoying call from one of their reps.