Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
She went out on her own terms. So young...a terrible waste...but I totally respect her decision. RIP...

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Michael Wolfe

Jambo Bwana
Registered
Reaction score
She is a hero, in my opinion.

I may have mentioned this a while ago, but I highly recommend the documentary "How to Die in Oregon" to anyone interested in this issue. It's about the state's Death with Dignity Act and has a number of interviews with people who later decided to make use of the law, giving a great deal of insight into why physician-assisted dying is so important to leave open to people as an option.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
She is a hero, in my opinion.
In mine as well.

She said
:

“For people to argue against this choice for sick people really seems evil to me,” she told People last month. “They try to mix it up with suicide and that’s really unfair, because there’s not a single part of me that wants to die. But I am dying.”

It enrages me that there are so few options available to those who want the choice to do what Ms. Maynard did. On my worst days, I think that at least I can move from Massachusetts to Vermont, where there is a Death with Dignity law. On even my best days, I wish every person who has ever cast a vote or spoken against DwD (especially those saying truly horrific things about Ms. Maynard) had to spend a day in the body of someone fighting to die on their own terms. A great deal, though not all, of the opposition comes down to people imposing their religious or spiritual beliefs on others, imo.

Michael, thank you for the documentary recommendation. Will check it out.

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
Caleb Wilde, a Pennsylvania funeral director, has a great blog over at "Confessions of a Funeral Director," and he had a great post about how to define terms when talking about Maynard's death.

http://www.calebwilde.com/2014/11/before-you-talk-about-brittany-maynards-decision/

I hate that she had to move to be able to do this. I hate that people would deny her a quiet, peaceful passing. And speaking as the husband of an evangelical pastor, if this came up in Oklahoma, I'd do everything I could to help it pass.

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
My son, Ryland, died from the kind of tumor Brittany had. It was in 1982 and he was three years old. I watched him suffer and held him in my arms as he took his last breath. I can't imagine the kind of pain he had to go through -- and I honor Brittany for her choice. My thoughts are with her family and loved ones.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I came to Oregon to live my way; Ms. Maynard came to die her way. I'm sad she's done too soon and lifted by her spirit.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Her candor will make a difference, I suspect. I wish for her loved ones that she could have just had the regular impact of a life well-lived, but as it is, she will be remembered.

RIP, lovely person.

POPASMOKE

Keep your turns up
Registered
Reaction score