The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Publishing Svcs] Tablo

Write. Write. Writey Write Write. mrsmig's Avatar

[Publishing Svcs] Tablo

This link popped up in my Facebook feed today: https://tablo.io/

It seems like a subscription-based variant on the Kindle Scout model to me: you upload your WIP (either the complete book or segments as you complete it) and get people to follow it. When it's done, Tablo willl publish it as an ebook on Kindle and iBook. They'll also take a 20% commission on your sales. Apparently you have to maintain your subscription or the book will drop out of the virtual bookstores and revert to a "free" book on the website.

Without registering for an account, you don't seem to be able to access the actual cost of a subscription, nor whether Tablo provides marketing (doubt it), editing (doubt it as well) or cover art (well, maybe). There's also no information on the public access pages about what rights Tablo takes.

I don't have time this a.m. to register and explore further, but maybe someone else does.

ETA: They are running a contest (perhaps in partnership with NaNoWriMo; they were using the NaNo logo in my FB feed) where the five NaNo books with the largest following will be forwarded to Momentum, "the digital imprint of Pan MacMillan," for publication consideration. That wording makes me think the winners aren't actually guaranteed any kind of publishing deal.
    Last edited by mrsmig; 11-02-2014 at 05:46 PM.
    KINGLET: Coming from FIERY SEAS PUBLISHING in August 2017

My Website:
    www.donnamigliaccio.com

And the occasional Tweet.

practical experience, FTW Dmbeucler's Avatar
    I commented over on facebook... it looks like they really didn't think the contest through. The deadline is (or was) at the end of Nano... so no chance to edit your book before they "send it to one of the big 5 publishers." When I saw the contest they weren't specific on which one, or which editors. It all looks half baked and a world of bad to me. (And wouldn't it be already published via Tablo?)

Looking a little at their terms for regular publishing, they take 20% of your royalties to "format" (I'm not sure what they actually do formatting wise), upload your book to various stores, and register an ISBN number for you.

The King and Queen of Cheese BenPanced's Avatar
    Looks like Tablo's taking advantage of NaNo because they aren't an approved sponsor.
    I still poop rainbows.

I won't steal any of your ideas. I have enough of my own I'm not using.

Coffee Coffee Work Coffee AW Moderator amergina's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BenPanced View Post
    Looks like Tablo's taking advantage of NaNo because they aren't an approved sponsor.
    Yup. They do not seem to be on the list. If anyone is curious, here's the list of NaNo sponsors:

http://nanowrimo.org/brought-to-you-by
    Latest Release: Daily Grind
    Coming October 2017: Outside the Lines

Website * Twitter * Tumblr

I expect, in that case, their use of the NaNoWriMo logo might come as a surprise to the NaNo folks. Hmmm...

ETA: I joined, and sent an email asking about what publishing services Tablo provides (specifically, if they provide editing, cover art and ISBNs). I also asked what rights they claim if they publish the book. We'll see what the response is.

The whole site smacks of brand, brand new. Lots of places where the page heading artwork makes it hard to read content. Some glitchy-looking code stuff on the account setting page, along with a section they are jokingly calling "The Danger Zone," which is currently not operative but will eventually allow members to delete their accounts and remove content. Sorry, I'm not putting any content on a website that doesn't give me a way to delete it.
    Last edited by mrsmig; 11-02-2014 at 10:02 PM.

My Website:
    www.donnamigliaccio.com

practical experience, FTW Dmbeucler's Avatar
    This keeps popping up on my facebook page. So this is the link to their contest: https://tablo.io/momentum

On this version of the page (vs the one if you just google them) there is the following blurb about the contest,
    We'll be selecting the 5 books that attract the most readers, followers and engagement on Tablo
    and handing them to Momentum for review. All you need to do is publish a book on Tablo
    and the most promising books will have the chance to be published.
    This is the sole bit I can find about their terms (without signing up, which I am loath to do):
    Click a button and your books will be published on the iBooks Store & Amazon.
    We assign an ISBN, distribute your book and provide you with a beautiful dashboard to track your sales.
    It's free, and Tablo only seeks a 20% commission on the sale price of your book.
    It seems very not worth it to me.
    Last edited by Dmbeucler; 11-03-2014 at 04:19 AM. Reason: Typo

I had a prompt, cheery response back from Tablo in response to my questions:

We don't provide any editing services or cover design services. We do however compile all sorts of eBook files, assign a unique ISBN and distribute to Amazon and the iBooks Store. You can publish your book with a single click, and it's free

We don't seek any rights to your work. You keep everything!

I'm a bit curious about the ISBN thing, though. Since it's their ISBN, doesn't that effectively make it their book?

My Website:
    www.donnamigliaccio.com

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Yep. From their ToC:

Publishing to Bookstores

If the bookstore distribution features of Tablo are utilised, you thereby grant Tablo the right to act as a distributor for your work on third party services and retailers including but not limited to Apple’s iBooks Store. You accept that Tablo will distribute the book through its own accounts and act as a ‘Seller’ or ‘Publisher’ for your content.

If Tablo provides an ISBN, this ISBN will be owned by and registered to Tablo but will be registered with your book's title and your author's name. This is a non-transferable ISBN.

You maintain the full rights to work distributed with third party services and retailers. You maintain the right to edit, update or remove the content at your own discretion. Tablo will endeavour to make sure all publish requests, submissions of metadata and all update requests are carried out accordingly, but you understand and agree that Tablo cannot ensure that all requests can be completed due to the various terms, guidelines, timelines and other uncontrollable elements of third party services.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

practical experience, FTW Freya Yuki's Avatar
    I first found out about Tablo when its Twitter account followed me on Twitter. I checked out the site and tried to find more info about it. It looks like people can read books for free there. The site layout and interface reminds me of Medium. I didn't join though.

I guess it's great if people want to share their works for free. Tablo also offers publishing services, but, since they don't provide editing or cover design services, then why would one want to bother using them as opposed to just self-publishing their novels? And it's not really free if they get royalties from publishing your work.