NovNoWriMo

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, yeah, I know it's November and the official month of NaNoWriMo, but for those of us who aren't participating this year, I thought I'd start our usual monthly goals-and-check-in thread.

The holidays and the opening of my current production will keep me pretty busy in November, so I'm going to baby myself a bit and only aim for an additional 10k in the WIP and only 2 books to read for the month.

Current WIP word count: 90,187 out of 100,000
Books read: 0 out of 2
Blog posts: 0 out of 2

I was really hoping this first draft would be finished at 100k but it looks like it's gonna be longer than that. My long-term goal is to have it finished by the end of the year, with revisions starting in January.

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
Doing Nano, but want to participate in this too.

1 -- Nanowrimo novel 0/50000

2 -- Finish revisions on WIP 56000/76000

3 -- Write 3 book reviews.

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
Also doing NaNo, but I'd like to stay here as well to keep track of all of the other crap I have to take care of... >.>

Weekend goals:
*Write a 6+ page paper on Peanuts
*Write a 2-3 page paper on The Changeling
*Read another 8th of Our Mutual Friend
*Get my Japanese homework for Monday done
*I suppose I should read The Changeling before writing about it...
*Figure out what I'm supposed to be reading for comics studies because I forget but it's important
*Keep caught up with NaNo

That'll keep me sufficiently busy... Month goals coming within the next couple of days. I just got back from my region's midnight NaNo party (where midnight started around 12:18 because we immediately started procrastinating) and I should really probably be going to sleep.

~Amber~

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
I'd like to read a book per week, so 4.
4 blog posts.
And participate in Nano.

Last month I went over my book quota. But didn't fulfil my blog post quota.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
I am also doing Nano, but I had planned to do a rewrite. It's just not the same, so even though October was super busy and November seems to be getting off to the same start, I'm going to do 50k of new words PLUS the rewrite. Let's see if I can pull it off.

Either way, I'm rebelling. The 50k will be on WIPs #1 & #2, so that I can finish them up. The rewrite is WIP #4. I don't normally do rewrites, just edits, but this was actually a story I had done for my first Nano and I had followed the suggestion of just churning out the words without much thought...and I paid for it big time. The result was a big confusing, terrible mess. But it's also the story that has the most potential, so I'm determined to finish it and not abandon it. What that first Nano taught me though was that I needed to think out the scenes like I usually do, and none of this just churning out words, and I have done so with every subsequent story and Nano I'd done.

So for the Nano counter, I'll only be count the new stuff and won't be counting anything from the rewrite, just so things don't get confusing.

Last edited:

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I woke up in the wee small hours of the morning and couldn't get back to sleep, so that was my writing time today as I had a full schedule at rehearsal.

Current WIP word count: 90,746 out of 100,000

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
Also doing NaNo, but I'm cheating. I'm not writing a new book, I'm fixing/finishing the one I got to 60k last year. So for a few days while editing, my word count is going to be crazy high. Because editing. The first few chapters aren't in bad shape but the majority of it is so bad.

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
Well let's see here:

*Write a 6+ page paper on Peanuts
*Write a 2-3 page paper on The Changeling
*Read another 8th of Our Mutual Friend
*Get my Japanese homework for Monday done
*I suppose I should read The Changeling before writing about it...
*Figure out what I'm supposed to be reading for comics studies because I forget but it's important

*Keep caught up with NaNo

That is a pretty decent chunk of work for a single Saturday which isn't yet over with. Peanuts paper is the next most important thing so that'll be next, but I think I'll do that tomorrow and NaNo tonight because I've been doing school stuff pretty much non-stop since I woke up today.

I am at 247 for NaNo, which is what I got done at the party last night (this morning?). I'm hoping to get to at least 2-3k before I go to bed.

Oh, and I'm officially hosting my uni's NaNo write-ins on Friday evenings. :D I'm excited.

Pretty much completely forgot about eating today. I should probably do that now.

~Amber~

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, yay, a monthly thread for those with non-NaNo goals! Good idea!

So, I have some exciting goals for this month.

1. Finish and submit 4 assignments. (This will be the FINAL 4 assignments for my entire degree! Squee!)
2. Watch at least 4 movies in the latter half of the month. (I'm slack at watching movies, because they just take soooooo long compared to a TV show episode!)
3. Watch all 8 of the movies on my To Be Watched list.
4. Relax, rest, recover, and move on from a long degree.
5. Do up my resume.

:)

So, it's day 2, and I have an assignment due tomorrow. But I just submitted it about 5 minutes ago. So that's 1/4 done. 2 short ones and 1 big one left. :)

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, yay, a monthly thread for those with non-NaNo goals! Good idea!

I know, right? :tongue I wish we could have thought of this before. The NaNo November threads all move so quickly and I usually end up staying quiet on the forums for most of November because I can't figure out how I'm supposed to keep track of the rest of my goals... And now I'm just thinking "Oh. Yeah. I guess I could've done that a few years ago. Good thinking, mrsmig." :tongue

At 1700 for NaNo. Probably going to write more after midnight but that's in 13 minutes and I need a break so that's going to be my total for the first 24 hours.

~Amber~

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Day 1: 0 words. Not surprisingly. Tomorrow will probably be the same.

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
Hm... That's a tricky one. I'm assuming that you ARE updating your word count on the NaNo site... Maybe you should just try deleting the widget from your sig and then pasting the code back in? Maybe there's something in particular about how you set it up that's causing it to act funny.

~Amber~

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
Oh! Oh! Maybe you just inserted the picture rather than the actual coding! The code is what causes it to update!

Try deleting that, then click "insert image" and paste in the following:

Code:
http://nanowrimo.org/widget/LiveSupporter/johnnygottakeyboard.png

Hopefully that should take care of it. :)

~Amber~

Last edited:

eternalised

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
majankaverstraete.com
Some goals for this month:
- finish NaNoWriMo novel first draft (Demonic Pact, sequel to my upcoming book, The Soul Thief)
- finish chapter book first draft "The Fear Club"
- client edit for romance book
- blog regularly (at least 2-3 times a week on my author blog)
- finish writing Ghostslayer (at 17k, about 50k to go) as bonus project
- edit Allegro Academy #1 (1 chapter complete so far)
- finish interviews and guest posts for the book tour for "The Soul Thief"
- set up everything for the release day for "The Soul Thief" on Nov 11

And then I'm also waiting to get the edits back for two of my chapter books releasing in December, and for the sequel to Fractured (a YA book, releasing summer next year).

Busy times ahead, as usual :)

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
Also doing NaNo, but I'm cheating. I'm not writing a new book, I'm fixing/finishing the one I got to 60k last year. So for a few days while editing, my word count is going to be crazy high. Because editing. The first few chapters aren't in bad shape but the majority of it is so bad.

Just an FYI - if you plan on writing 50k new material, you won't be a nano "rebel" :D even if they are on a MS that's already started. That's a rule change this year.

Day 1: 0 words. Not surprisingly. Tomorrow will probably be the same.

Excuse me Fluffy Little Kitty, you sound like you need a coffee :e2coffee:

My nano kick off had a huge attendance. The biggest turn out we've ever had. I spent two hours of the meet up making sure people had power outlets, were having fun, and getting words down. I wrote almost nothing.

Then, my SNI/previous MS came back with it's first beta. I'm conflicted (no surprise) since some of the feedback was positive, but I still feel like it summed up to "this isn't very good." Maybe I'm just terrible? That's not the most "yay creativity!" thought for a nano month... :Shrug:

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just realized I left off one of my November goals:

Current WIP word count: 90,746 out of 100,000
Beta-read friend's novel: 0 out of 1

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
I tell you what - this making writing the first thing you do is working for me - both weekend days i have gotten up and gotten writing - and then the rest of the day is mine.

:)

Got another 3 chapters edited- and from now on, the chapters need COMPLETE revision.... so for real writing starts tomorrow.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I had a long lunch break today and got a fair amount written:

Current WIP word count: 91,238 out of 100,000
Beta-read friend's novel: 0 out of 1

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I've felt like crap most of today, but I've just finished doing a few things. Namely, making notes for my final short paper for Life Writing (as opposed to the slightly-longer paper due afterwards for the same class), and then hunting down some references to back up my argument, from 3 sources.

I've probably only done about... 2.5 to 3 hours of homework today, but it feels like I've done way more, just because I feel crappy. Blech. But I think I'm going to call it a day now.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cliff Face, hope you feel better soon.

C'mon, chompers - just write one sentence. I bet if you can write one, you can write two, and then three...

(P.S. I just noticed how patient your avatar kitteh looks.)

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
I've felt like crap most of today, but I've just finished doing a few things.

Feel better! Sleep a bunch, that solves everything.

Day 2: 0 words

Patient, or sadly, sadly disappointed.

How do you know if your nano is going badly? You have a spotless house and a fridge full of freshly cooked meals! :flag: This historical thing was a bad idea.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
C'mon, chompers - just write one sentence. I bet if you can write one, you can write two, and then three...

Haha, yeah, poor kitty.

Actually, I want to write. I'm bursting at the seams, but I just don't have the time. I don't think I'll have the time tonight either. Sigh. I'm hoping, hoping, hoping I'll start having time tomorrow.