Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Possible, perhaps, but highly implausible and highly improbable. And, given that in discussions such as these, asking one to consider "the possibility" is usually nothing more than a "foot in the door" rhetorical technique, what's probable is much more important than what is possible (unless you're that nutty Alvin Plantinga).

Or Schrodinger.

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
An omnipotent, omniscient God existing outside of spacetime is an unfalsifiable hypothesis and therefore not within the purview of science.

The existence of the physical universe as it is and as we understand it to be does not loigically require such a being to bring it about. Therefore, such a hypothesis is not scientifically necessary.

Therefore, Abrahamic theist, atheist, and agnostic scientists can work together just fine without getting into knife fights.

Note: Non-Abrahamic theists of most kinds can also get along just fine in the endeavor of science, but that requires a few more lines of argument, and the subject was Catholicism, so I didn't want to wander too far afield.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
An omnipotent, omniscient God existing outside of spacetime is an unfalsifiable hypothesis and therefore not within the purview of science.

In an infinite universe, even the astornomically improbable becomes likely to have happened somewhere.

I was baldly speculating, and I didn't use any language asserting that it must be so.

Therefore, I don't see any reason to have such a negative reaction to what I said.

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
In an infinite universe, even the astornomically improbable becomes likely to have happened somewhere.

I was baldly speculating, and I didn't use any language asserting that it must be so.

Therefore, I don't see any reason to have such a negative reaction to what I said.

It's not a negative reaction. I'm simply pointing out that God is not a scientific hypothesis.

However, I do have to take issue with your comment above. In an infinite universe with an infinite amount of stuff, all things possible within that universe will eventually happen.

However, no thing impossible in that universe will ever happen.

A universe with an infinite amount of CHON and appropriate environments and where the physics works as ours does is guaranteed to evolve life.

But, if that universe has no spiritual anything in it, it will produce no angels, as they would be an impossibility in that universe.

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
I don't understand why there's even an article about this. As long as one believes there is a creator behind the Big Bang and evolution, there is no incompatibility with Catholic thought and there hasn't been for some time.
Now, I must admit to not exactly being a Catholic scholar, but...doesn't it kind of destroy the whole backbone of the faith?
Without Adam and Steve Eve in the garden of Eden, there's no original sin, and without original sin, there's no need for Jesus to die on the cross.

Right?

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Most Catholics I know regard the whole bit about the creation of heaven and earth and the Adam and Eve thing as a metaphor.

It's evangelical Protestants of a certain stamp that insist Genesis is a pure statement of facts.

ETA:

That said, I've never looked up the official Catholic Church position on Adam and Eve. c.e., do you know?

Last edited:

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Catholics don't really do the literal Bible thing. Again, that's more of an evangelical protestant thing.

I'm severely lapsed and have identified as agnostic for quite some time, so take this with a grain of salt. But I think you can have a concept of human sin that doesn't involve a snake and an apple.

dfwtinman

Cubic Zirconia in the rough
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The criterion of the scientific status of a theory is its falsifiability, or refutability, or testability. — Karl Popper, (Popper, Conjectures and Refutations)

Post 30, also see.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So...Jesus died for nothing?

I'm also confused about the fact that both copies of the Bible I own are apparently missing the glossary pointing out which bits are metaphor and which bits actually happened.

If you assume it's all metaphor you probably can't go wrong, but if you do so, don't blame me for your eternal damnation if I'm mistaken.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
Word out of the UK this morning:

I only have one question: Will the next papal conclave convene in 2014 or 2015? What's your guess?

I am a severely lapsed Catholic, with no intention of returning. That said, I have watched the new pope with some interest--I happen to be delighted to see the church I left is at least moving forward, but I wonder how many Cardinals have a serious, losing-sleep-over-it-and-getting-ulcers case of buyer's remorse

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
Without Adam and Steve Eve in the garden of Eden, there's no original sin, and without original sin, there's no need for Jesus to die on the cross.

Right?

*wonders aloud if this is a somewhat douchey and not particularly subtle potshot at homosexuality, using a rather tired fundamentalist battle-cry, prepares to take his lumps from moderation for asking if need be

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
*wonders aloud if this is a somewhat douchey and not particularly subtle potshot at homosexuality, using a rather tired fundamentalist battle-cry, prepares to take his lumps from moderation for asking if need be
It was meant to be a somewhat douchey and not particularly subtle potshot at said tired fundamentalists.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And I would say to Mr. Hitchens, "Not if there's an afterlife."

In fairness, even if there is an afterlife, it wouldn't prove God necessarily. But, on the upside, if there is, you might just get to say that to Hitchens.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
So...Jesus died for nothing?

I'm also confused about the fact that both copies of the Bible I own are apparently missing the glossary pointing out which bits are metaphor and which bits actually happened.

It's kind of like...reading any other book. You get to interpret it for yourself.