• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Small Beer Press

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I checked the AW list and didn't see it there, but this publisher's been around for a while. Holly Black is one of the authors there.

http://smallbeerpress.com/

You have to snail mail to submit. Anybody have more info on them?

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
Nothing direct. I've read a number of their books and met some of their staff at the AWP conference before. I really like their books and their authors, and have submitted to their magazine (Lady Churchill's Rosebud Wristlet) before, to no avail.

They are small, but tied into the literary and literary/speculative scene.

anakhouri79

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone published with Small Beer Press? I know these guys are very legit, but I sent them a query back in February 2016, and then an inquiry as to the status of my submission in October 2016, and have heard nothing. Does anyone know what the turnaround time usually is, and if I should hold out hope or assume they have rejected me? Thanks everyone!

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
Never heard of them, but I love the name! :)

From their submission guidelines page:

"...Response time is about six months. We read everything, sometimes slow, sometimes fast. Our apologies for reading so slowly. At the moment we are only reading paper submissions. If six months has passed and you contact us we will try and reply with our decision...."

So, if you submitted in Feb of this year, and followed up in October, my thought would be a monthly ping via email. Don't wanna get lost in the sea, but also don't wanna be annoying either. Just my 2¢ in a world where pennies are meaningless.

Also, fwiw, I've not even gotten to the point of submitting work for consideration yet, so the above may be entirely wrong for all I know.

anakhouri79

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, thank you! I've checked their submission page about 50 times and never saw a turnaround time listed (for their magazine, yes, but not the press itself). They don't really do e-mail (I had to send the query materials in the mail and also sent the inquiry via mail- I had to send an SASE for a reply so I was surprised I never got anything from them) so I think after a year is up I will try one more inquiry and then move on.

anakhouri79

Registered
Reaction score
I received a rejection from Small Beer yesterday. It was around 11 months from my initial submission, if anyone is interested.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I received a rejection from Small Beer yesterday. It was around 11 months from my initial submission, if anyone is interested.

Wow, that's a long, long time. They did say they only read submissions 3 times a year. I did mine last June, so it looks like I'll be waiting a while longer.

Aphotic Ink

Registered
Reaction score
I got a six-month response, FWIW, and they've been pleasant to deal with.

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
Their paperbacks are incredibly expensive, I find that suspicious.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I mean, the books are expensive ($9 for an ebook)--whether or not the seems suspicious is more of a personality thing.

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
Just wondering how they came up with that name and why.:Shrug:

Last edited:

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
I mean, the books are expensive ($9 for an ebook)--whether or not the seems suspicious is more of a personality thing.

I see one for 14.95. I never heard of this place then again it seems to be for literary fiction and I don't write literary or read it besides the classics.

Some on this thread say this place is a top press so maybe that's why they can get away with higher prices.

That name though. :roll:

Last edited:

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
I see one for 14.95. I never heard of this place then again it seems to be for literary fiction and I don't write literary or read it besides the classics.

They publish literary science fiction and fantasy--novels, chapbooks, and collections. They also publish a zine called Lady Churchill's Rosebud Wristlet.

C Alberts

Registered
Reaction score
I can't speak to e-book prices but their trade paperback prices are exactly in line with those of the Big 5 publishers and other high-quality independents like Tin House, Feminist Press, Grove, etc.

And yes, they are a very well-regarded press with interesting, award-winning books and full distribution through Consortium, so galleys are sent to booksellers and professional reviewers (incl PW, LJ, Booklist, Kirkus) ahead of time and all that jazz. From first hand experience I can say that, while they are a little niche-y, they definitely get shelf space in bookstores with eclectic fiction sections.

A prime example of their work is Sofia Samatar's Tender - currently in hardcover for $24, will be released in paperback next year for $17. Finalist for World Fantasy, British Fantasy, and Locus award. Reviewed by NPR here.

Round Two

Behind the door of a small house.
Registered
Reaction score
I can't speak to e-book prices but their trade paperback prices are exactly in line with those of the Big 5 publishers and other high-quality independents like Tin House, Feminist Press, Grove, etc.

And yes, they are a very well-regarded press with interesting, award-winning books and full distribution through Consortium, so galleys are sent to booksellers and professional reviewers (incl PW, LJ, Booklist, Kirkus) ahead of time and all that jazz. From first hand experience I can say that, while they are a little niche-y, they definitely get shelf space in bookstores with eclectic fiction sections.

I'm also not sure where the suspicion is coming from. Highly regarded independent press. The E-book prices are also in line with Big 5 publishers, not sure where the suspicion is coming from. Co-founder Kelly Link is one of the most respected people in the independent publishing community.

Not for nothing, she's also a Pulitzer Prize Finalist for Fiction. Her book, Get in Trouble, was published by Random House. The Kindle version is currently selling for $11.99. Is Random House also suspicious?

Out of curiosity, when people say that this is an expensive e-book price, what is that based on? And how is it suspicious?

Last edited:

C Alberts

Registered
Reaction score
From an interview:

CM:
I wanted to ask about the name, Small Beer Press, it sounds almost apologetic.
GG: Well eventually we are going to be International Conglomerate Alehouse.
GG: It is one of those things there you need a tag, you need a name, and we didn’t come up with anything great.
KL: It was kind of the same with Lady Churchill’s Rosebud Wristlet. It was a tiny bit jokey, and we couldn’t come up with anything better.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
The prices are in line with the top and the bottom of the market for TPB print on demand and ebooks by presses that are not ebook focused, so in the absence of any other information it's hard to interpret. IMHO big 5 paperbacks tend to be offset print runs which are cheaper.

Round Two

Behind the door of a small house.
Registered
Reaction score
The prices are in line with the top and the bottom of the market for TPB print on demand and ebooks by presses that are not ebook focused, so in the absence of any other information it's hard to interpret. IMHO big 5 paperbacks tend to be offset print runs which are cheaper.

I'm guessing Small Beer is definitely doing offset print runs and not print on demand if they're distributed by Consortium. It's likely the print run will be smaller than an average Big Five print run. Of course the smaller print run makes the unit cost for each printed book slightly higher. Smaller margins might be part of the reasoning for a higher price point. In any case Consortium helps set the price because they're the ones selling it into stores and they've got a vested interest in a book being successful.