The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Small Beer Press

Small Beer Press

I checked the AW list and didn't see it there, but this publisher's been around for a while. Holly Black is one of the authors there.

http://smallbeerpress.com/

You have to snail mail to submit. Anybody have more info on them?
    My blog Lists of YA (and Adult) Publishers that pay advances and are accepting unagented submissions

Twitter

My YA novel, FIX ME is coming from Flux Books November 2017

Nothing direct. I've read a number of their books and met some of their staff at the AWP conference before. I really like their books and their authors, and have submitted to their magazine (Lady Churchill's Rosebud Wristlet) before, to no avail.

They are small, but tied into the literary and literary/speculative scene.

practical experience, FTW anakhouri79's Avatar

Small Beer Press

Has anyone published with Small Beer Press? I know these guys are very legit, but I sent them a query back in February 2016, and then an inquiry as to the status of my submission in October 2016, and have heard nothing. Does anyone know what the turnaround time usually is, and if I should hold out hope or assume they have rejected me? Thanks everyone!

Ideas bounce around in my head CBJason's Avatar
    Never heard of them, but I love the name! :-)

From their submission guidelines page:

"...Response time is about six months. We read everything, sometimes slow, sometimes fast. Our apologies for reading so slowly. At the moment we are only reading paper submissions. If six months has passed and you contact us we will try and reply with our decision...."

So, if you submitted in Feb of this year, and followed up in October, my thought would be a monthly ping via email. Don't wanna get lost in the sea, but also don't wanna be annoying either. Just my 2 in a world where pennies are meaningless.

Also, fwiw, I've not even gotten to the point of submitting work for consideration yet, so the above may be entirely wrong for all I know.
    2017 Goals

1. Read 50 books
    2. Finish my first book

Oh, thank you! I've checked their submission page about 50 times and never saw a turnaround time listed (for their magazine, yes, but not the press itself). They don't really do e-mail (I had to send the query materials in the mail and also sent the inquiry via mail- I had to send an SASE for a reply so I was surprised I never got anything from them) so I think after a year is up I will try one more inquiry and then move on.

I received a rejection from Small Beer yesterday. It was around 11 months from my initial submission, if anyone is interested.

Quote Originally Posted by anakhouri79 View Post
    I received a rejection from Small Beer yesterday. It was around 11 months from my initial submission, if anyone is interested.
    Wow, that's a long, long time. They did say they only read submissions 3 times a year. I did mine last June, so it looks like I'll be waiting a while longer.
    My blog Lists of YA (and Adult) Publishers that pay advances and are accepting unagented submissions

Twitter

My YA novel, FIX ME is coming from Flux Books November 2017