The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Zimbell House Publishing

Zimbell House Publishing

If it looks like a vanity press and quacks like a vanity press, it's a vanity press even if the publisher says otherwise.

http://www.zimbellhousepublishing.com/?page_id=207

Side note: this is the third vanity press in my area that hosts a Meetup writing group. Is this a common thing?
    Last edited by Bubastes; 10-26-2014 at 09:04 PM.

Wilde about Oscar aliceshortcake's Avatar
    The facts are that Authors are expected to also promote their work. Most books that seem to ‘fail’ are due to lack of author involvement in promotions. Zimbell House includes an Author’s Marketing Kit to help you with your self-promotions.
    http://www.zimbellhousepublishing.com/?page_id=6
    And as so many PA authors discovered, if there's no real distribution your marketing efforts will be in vain. Nice bit of victim-blaming there, Zimbell House!

I also can't help noticing that there are no books on the website, just some information about a couple of contests in which the winning stories won't be edited. Nor could I find any books from this company on Amazon.
    Last edited by aliceshortcake; 10-26-2014 at 11:07 PM.
    "There is only one thing worse than being obliged to sit cross-legged on the grass, and that is being obliged to sit cross-legged on the grass near an ant colony"
    Oscar Wilde (citation needed)

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

practical experience, FTW Rufus Leeking's Avatar
    Someone I work with is asking about paying Zimbell House to publish her work. She knows it is a "vanity" press. Any feedback on this company?
    my avatar is prettier than yours

Such a nasty woman SuperModerator Old Hack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufus Leeking View Post
    Someone I work with is asking about paying Zimbell House to publish her work. She knows it is a "vanity" press. Any feedback on this company?
    If she knows it's a vanity press that's all the feedback she needs. Stay away.

practical experience, FTW Rufus Leeking's Avatar
    She is starry eyed and wants her thing published. there used to be a forum here where some of the companies were evaluated/roasted. is that still here?
    my avatar is prettier than yours

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus Leeking View Post
    She is starry eyed and wants her thing published. there used to be a forum here where some of the companies were evaluated/roasted. is that still here?
    The thing to remember is we see vanity publisher and think scam, bad idea and not worth it. A lot of hopeful authors only see the word publisher. They see bookshop placement, telling people they're a published author, interviews, a stepping stone to an agent or other book deals, and a dream come true. They want to hold their book in their hands. Rainbows and kittens will rain down upon them.

It's not enough to say it's a vanity publisher in cases like this. You have to explain what that means: that this is not actually a publisher. They use the word publisher to hook authors like her and play on their dreams. These services sell the warm fuzzies, and those fade very rapidly once the reality sets in that vanity publishers aren't actually publishers in the way authors think, and the 'publisher' name on the book is worth less than the paper it's printed on. You won't find horror stories for every vanity publisher she finds. What she needs to be told is why vanity publishers are a bad idea in general principle.

If she still won't listen after that, you've done all you can.
    * Polenth *

Website | Blog / Send Review Requests | Twitter
    Sunstruck - Bigfoot Urban Fantasy Novel

From their anthology page:

All contributing authors will receive a free copy of the book in softcover. Authors that are chosen for the anthology will not be paid nor receive royalties for their submission. Again there is no charge for the submissions. This is an opportunity to build your platform.
    There are very few circumstances under which I would consider submitting a story to an anthology that doesn't pay. (Charity is one exception that comes to mind.)

Exposure doesn't pay the bills.