Chiefs hanged in 1864 Chilcotin War exonerated

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Six years before British Columbia joined Canada, the BC government engaged in a war with the Tsilqot'in. At the end of the war they prosecuted the six chiefs and convicted them to hanging. They were consequenty hanged and that was that. It wasn't until the 1990s when the BC government finally decided that the residential schools were better closed than opened and later when the Kelowna Accord and the BC Treaty Process were set up in 2004, was there consideration for exonerating the chiefs.

This week, the chiefs were exonerated by BC premier Christy Clark. A plaque and memorial has been set up for the chiefs. Perhaps a little too late but no longer will the history books exclude the battle of the chiefs and hide their hangings.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...erated-by-b-c-premier-christy-clark-1.2811681

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So...no unhanging? Better than hiding them from history, but it seems a little too little, a little too late.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
It might sound awful, but my default mode on hangings like that is that they were probably wrong. There was just too much injustice towards natives overall, so it all starts out as suspect to me.

It's good that yet another example has been spelled out by the authorities, but history books shouldn't dare try to whitewash all of that anyway. We all know too much about it, I'd think. It was a hideous time.

And it' still pretty damned bad in many cases, which are the parts that should make the mainstream news much more often if anyone wants to do something to help natives. I don't know about Canada, but in the US, we are woefully ignorant about the different treaties, responsibilities, even nationhood, etc, so we (in general) understand very little about what's still going on.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps, but you have to think of the current Tsilqot'in chiefs and the people who are living today.
Yeah, this ^. On the day of the announcement, there was a piece in one of the local papers from an RCMP officer who had served in the Chilcotin area. He said that every time he stopped anyone, "You killed our chiefs!" was brought up, and being transferred from elsewhere, he didn't even know what they were talking about.
So, all in all, this won't help the dead, but it may help the living to know that at least the gesture has been made.