The best "virtual index card" software for story planning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunatique

Fluffy Wolf
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ethereality.info
You asked for "Virtual Index Card" software, but it seems you are looking for timelining software. I didn't see what OS you are using, but Aeon Timeline is available for both OSX and Windows. There are no graphics of cards, but I think much of the functionality you seek is there. There is a free download to try.

I've tested Aeon Timeline before and although on paper it seems to match my needs, its interface and navigation is not intuitive and the way the events are laid out and who the participants are makes it visually too noisy to be of any good use for my purpose. I need a very clean and straightforward fixed grid layout where all subplots and character arcs are aligned next to each other side-by-side, so I can match the timing of every event and story beat and character growth to a master plot line. Writer's Cafe's Storyline tool comes closest to my needs (yWriter's Storyboard tool is similar, but too clunky in implementation and GUI).

Fitch

Registered
Reaction score
You asked for "Virtual Index Card" software, but it seems you are looking for timelining software. I didn't see what OS you are using, but Aeon Timeline is available for both OSX and Windows. There are no graphics of cards, but I think much of the functionality you seek is there. There is a free download to try.

I like, and use, Aeon Timeline a lot. I write thrillers that are contemporary. Being able to take the events from the plot flow chart and main character back stories in Edraw and assign them to specific calendar dates in specific locations has been a huge help. With specific dates, current news events, weather, and any number of things are available to use as needed to make the story realistic. It's especially useful for relating real terrorist history to events in the story.

That said, while it enables an accurate timeline, it doesn't enable the same story overview as the virtual plot/sub plot cards turned into a flow chart in the graphics program.

Fitch

Gerald Hornsby

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the contributions here. I found this thread via Google. I've been looking for this storyboarding software 'thing' for a while. Like the OP, I have used Writers Café quite a bit in the past, and there's a lot to like about it. I like the parallel timelines, and the ability to push things around. It would be nice if it responded to trackpad gestures (e.g. scrolling) but you can't have everything I suppose.
I'll give Edraw a try.

Lunatique

Fluffy Wolf
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ethereality.info
Just to let everyone know, currently there's still no ideal solution to my search. I currently try to make do with a combination of Aeon Timeline, Scapple (notes arranged to mimic Writer's Blocks by using the stacking feature), and Excel, but none of them do exactly what I want. WriteItNow recently released version 5 update which has a much more elaborate version of Writer's Cafe's storyline tool called "Storyline Editor,: but it's cumbersome to use because of the way you have to input associated characters and locations with every single event/scene, and visually it's a bit clunky to look at. It might satisfy some people's needs though, so take a look:
http://www.ravensheadservices.com/storyline_editor.php

I would say the closest I can get right now is probably using Scapple, and only because it's so free-form that I can arrange everything manually into any arrangement I want, BUT, because it's all done by hand (thought with some automation aid with the stacking feature and matching note width/height), it's a bit more work than if I had a totally automated grid system. You'd think Writer's Blocks would be able to provide that, but when actually using it, it's got its so set of ergonomic frustrations (though it might not bother some of you), or you might not be able to swallow the asking price.

Although you might be able to use other mind-map software to mimic what I'm doing with Scapple, they probably won't be as quick/intuitive to use, since Scapple was designed specifically to be fast and simple, while other mind-map software tend to get bogged down by its feature set and ergonomics. I used to use Xmind but I never even considered using it the way I'm using Scapple now because the workflow never even sparked the idea I could use it that way, and that tells you what a huge difference the GUI/ergonomics makes.

For much more detailed event timeline stuff, Aeon Timeline 2 is the only choice out there, and version 2 is vastly improved over version 1, with far superior GUI and more modes (such as grouping events by character, factions, or whatever grouping method you want to customize).

As for Excel, the way I'm using it is to map out character/faction motivations and relationships. I blogged about it in detail here:
http://www.ethereality.info/ethereality_website/about_me/wordpress/?p=2499

HyperFawn

Caffeinated
Registered
Reaction score
Have you tried Trello? I'm using it to run a D&D campaign, but you could easily use it to plot a novel in a linear fashion. It doesn't have all the things you asked for, but it has a lot.

Lunatique

Fluffy Wolf
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ethereality.info
Have you tried Trello? I'm using it to run a D&D campaign, but you could easily use it to plot a novel in a linear fashion. It doesn't have all the things you asked for, but it has a lot.

Thanks for the suggestion. Looks very straightforward. I should be able to use it the same way I'm using Scapple right now. I'll give it a try.

SR Wittmann

Registered
Reaction score
After doing more testing and research, it appears there's nothing on the market (or in the world of freeware) that matches my needs currently, so I'm going to stick to this general workflow for now:

Do all my main brainstorming and planning in Scrivener using the Binder and Outliner View, including all character profiles/arcs, factions, locations, act structure, scenes, thematic overview, etc. I won't bother with the index card view because it's basically useless for my needs.

If I need to do mindmapping to get an overview of the factions/characters relationships, I'll use Xmind, until Scapple finally implements color-coded linking lines.

Then if I need to map out all the subplots in sequential order as they would appear in the book, I'll use Writer's Cafe's Storyline tool to do it.

Until I can get all of that in one software, this workflow will ave to do. Writers before computers wrote great works without all this power and convenience and flexibility, so I certainly won't use it as an excuse to not write.

I know this is an old thread, but it's also an issue I have struggled with for many years, so I'm going to throw my two-cents worth in on this.

Back when dirt was new, I used Excel for plotting and mind-mapping. It was not very good, but I managed to get by with it as best I could as there wasn't anything else available at the time. In hindsight, I can see that what I was looking for was a software program that worked with the way I think. I believe that is the most important element in finding the right tools. Over the years, I tried everything I could get my hands on but nothing fit the bill. What worked for other writers didn't necessarily work for me as we all think differently.

I wanted something without boundaries. A program that was liquid so to speak. Spreadsheets were too rigid as were hierarchical mind mapping tools. My mind thinks in relationships and clusters, leaping from one cluster to the next. Plotting tools were too rigid and the only thing I got out of them was frustration.

Today, I use Scrivener and Scapple. For me, Scapple has been my god-send. It allows me to plot visually as I see it in my mind. The absence of color-coded linking lines are not a problem for me. Instead, I use the Inspector tool to create a variety of patterned styles. For example, each cluster which represents a scene, has a parent object with my Parent style. Within the cluster, plot points have a style, cross-links have a style, and hyperlinks to sources have a style. I style important points with a bold contrasting style as attention getters and reminders. In the end, I have a cluster where I can visually recognize every element's function by its style. But there's more, because each parent object is free-flowing, that is not restricted by logic tree hierarchy, I can flow the parent objects anywhere I want (and their child objects with them) as I brainstorm the plot clusters.

That is the key that makes Scapple work for me is its fluidity. It feels like liquid in my mind. Later, I transfer each scene to Scrivener where each scene takes on more structure.

IMO, Scapple's extensive custom style ability makes up for it's lack of color-coded link lines.

For an example, I'll add a screen capture of one of my projects in Scapple.

In the below image, blue represents a Parent or Scene object. White are action points within the scene. Yellow with black are reminders. Yellow with red are plot holes. White on black are depreciated plot points due to rewrite. Cloud shaped red are plot points that link to scenes elsewhere in the story. White backgrounds are unwritten scenes. Beige backgrounds are completed scenes.

Scapple_01.jpg

Lunatique

Fluffy Wolf
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ethereality.info
I know this is an old thread, but it's also an issue I have struggled with for many years, so I'm going to throw my two-cents worth in on this.

Back when dirt was new, I used Excel for plotting and mind-mapping. It was not very good, but I managed to get by with it as best I could as there wasn't anything else available at the time. In hindsight, I can see that what I was looking for was a software program that worked with the way I think. I believe that is the most important element in finding the right tools. Over the years, I tried everything I could get my hands on but nothing fit the bill. What worked for other writers didn't necessarily work for me as we all think differently.

I wanted something without boundaries. A program that was liquid so to speak. Spreadsheets were too rigid as were hierarchical mind mapping tools. My mind thinks in relationships and clusters, leaping from one cluster to the next. Plotting tools were too rigid and the only thing I got out of them was frustration.

Today, I use Scrivener and Scapple. For me, Scapple has been my god-send. It allows me to plot visually as I see it in my mind. The absence of color-coded linking lines are not a problem for me. Instead, I use the Inspector tool to create a variety of patterned styles. For example, each cluster which represents a scene, has a parent object with my Parent style. Within the cluster, plot points have a style, cross-links have a style, and hyperlinks to sources have a style. I style important points with a bold contrasting style as attention getters and reminders. In the end, I have a cluster where I can visually recognize every element's function by its style. But there's more, because each parent object is free-flowing, that is not restricted by logic tree hierarchy, I can flow the parent objects anywhere I want (and their child objects with them) as I brainstorm the plot clusters.

That is the key that makes Scapple work for me is its fluidity. It feels like liquid in my mind. Later, I transfer each scene to Scrivener where each scene takes on more structure.

IMO, Scapple's extensive custom style ability makes up for it's lack of color-coded link lines.

In the below image, blue represents a Parent or Scene object. White are action points within the scene. Yellow with black are reminders. Yellow with red are plot holes. White on black are depreciated plot points due to rewrite. Cloud shaped red are plot points that link to scenes elsewhere in the story. White backgrounds are unwritten scenes. Beige backgrounds are completed scenes.

Scapple_01.jpg

I've also been using Scapple, but I use the stacking feature to make it behave/look more like index cards:
scapple_as_index_cards.jpg

Wow.

Just . . . wow.

Me, I prefer to use my time to write stories.

caw

It's not as if we enjoy having to do all that. When you have really complex/epic stories with multiple intersecting storylines and large cast of characters to keep track of, it's hard to keep all of that in your head without forgetting things, so you need some kind of organizational help.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
It's not as if we enjoy having to do all that. When you have really complex/epic stories with multiple intersecting storylines and large cast of characters to keep track of, it's hard to keep all of that in your head without forgetting things, so you need some kind of organizational help.

We do. But there's a point at which making plans like this becomes less about keeping track and more about prevaricating. I find a roll of wallpaper works well for me, and allows me to sketch out a plan very quickly. Using Scrivener's index card feature allows me to print out a summary of each scene, in the order in which they're currently assembled: a few notes on that gives me much the same result as those big Scrapple plans, and I suspect they're quicker to make too.

And now, I am putting my mod hat on.

We have a size limit of 400 x 400 pixels on AW. There's a whole thread about this in our FAQs room if you want to know more. So I'd be grateful if you'd both edit your posts to resize those huge images ASAP. Thank you!

SR Wittmann

Registered
Reaction score
We do. But there's a point at which making plans like this becomes less about keeping track and more about prevaricating. I find a roll of wallpaper works well for me, and allows me to sketch out a plan very quickly. Using Scrivener's index card feature allows me to print out a summary of each scene, in the order in which they're currently assembled: a few notes on that gives me much the same result as those big Scrapple plans, and I suspect they're quicker to make too.

I hear what you're saying, but for me, trying to get the story out of my head was such a struggle using traditional plotting techniques, that for years I ended up with no story at all. It wasn't until I discovered Scapple that I was able to visualize the way I see the story in my mind. My Scapple image above is a very good representation how I see a story unfolding. So, its not a hindrance at all. In fact, my current project is running strong at 30k words and feels energized like nothing before it. So the lesson for future readers is keep trying different techniques until you find what works for you.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I wish post-it would bring back their corkboard. It was kind of basic, but I loved it. So sad when my old harddrive died and took it with it.

TwistedTyping

Lost between the pages
Registered
Reaction score

Scapple_01.jpg

I. love. this. Other programs I've seen didn't suit me, or were too difficult to use, or wouldn't allow exporting the information. This is fantastic, thank you @SR Wittmann :)

Wow.

Just . . . wow.

Me, I prefer to use my time to write stories.

caw

This comment bothers me a great deal. I don't know if @Blacbird was trying to sound pompous or not, but that's how it comes across. But thank you for letting us know that you find organizational programs to be a waste of your time.

I've also been using Scapple, but I use the stacking feature to make it behave/look more like index cards:
scapple_as_index_cards.jpg

THERE ARE OTHER FORMATS??? Ahem...sorry for shouting. BUT SO COOL.
Guess what I'm downloading immediately :)

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
This comment bothers me a great deal. I don't know if @Blacbird was trying to sound pompous or not, but that's how it comes across. But thank you for letting us know that you find organizational programs to be a waste of your time.

I wasn't trying to "sound" like anything. That diagram just struck me as amazingly complicated. It reminded me of the Watergate days, when the first witness to appear in front of the Senate investigating committee produced a diagram like that of the ludicrously complex structure of the Committee to Re-Elect the President. It caused serious eye glaze-over on the part of the Senators.

caw

Reaction score

Scapple_01.jpg

Oh man, I just started using Scrivener on my third draft after not doing anything with it for a year and it is awesome. In a way I am like that dude in Memento where i just need stuff right there to put in my mind. Also keeping track of themes and characters and motifs via keywords and timeline stuff and other things in meta data----Scrivener is awesome.

The scapple looks f'ing cool as well. While I am not plot heavy but the connections would be useful for me. I got to buy this, thanks.

And to the other guy talking about he rather be writing, I have only seen these programs to help creativity and keep everything straight.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Okay. At this point I feel I need to clarify my original comment and view of these things.

First, I have no objection to pre-planning stories, and I recognize that certain genres seem to demand more of that than do others.

Second, I was just . . . let's say, impressed, by the complexity of that diagram. And by the connection of it with a specialized writing program. I could produce a diagram of equal complexity in MS-Excel, if I needed to.

But, third, and most importantly, I think too many writers get obsessed with planning, and it inhibits their actual narrative writing. I got to this position by attending a writers' group some years ago, in which there were two writers, one of "thrillers" and one of "high fantasy", who spent all their time constructing plans, and never turned out any narrative worth reading. Old Hack obliquely cautioned about such a thing earlier in this thread.

At some point, you need to stop obsessing about planning and appropriate software for it, and write stuff.

caw

SR Wittmann

Registered
Reaction score
I. love. this. Other programs I've seen didn't suit me, or were too difficult to use, or wouldn't allow exporting the information. This is fantastic, thank you @SR Wittmann :)

You are most welcome. Your enthusiasm is delightful. May it serve you well.

SR Wittmann

Registered
Reaction score
Second, I was just . . . let's say, impressed, by the complexity of that diagram.

Please sit down for what I am about to say, but that diagram is only 1/4 of the whole. Yes, you read that correctly. The full diagram is four times larger, but I couldn't fit it all into the screen capture. Furthermore, that part of the diagram represents the first third of the story. So, I'm sure that looks quite overwhelming, but consider these details.

The story follows the residents of a small town during a horrific supernatural event. My protagonists are a team of characters with multiple POVs. My antagonist is supernatural and manifests in multiple characters also requiring multiple POVs. There are about thirty situation characters (i.e. town residents) that are each uniquely affected by the event and react to their unique situations via their own point of view. The plot is far more compelling and engaging than I originally anticipated (which is delightful, BTW) and the multiple POVs hooks draws the reader along. It is a story in the truest sense of the word.

However, as the author, keeping track of all the POVs and characters has been mind boggling. Each voice is different, each reaction is unique. I must take care to not drop a thread. And then I realized that each character is not linear! The characters are people in a small town. They know each other and they interact with each other.

Suddenly, my plot lines were intersecting and looked as complicated as an unraveled DNA helicoil.

Scapple was the tool that helped me bring order to the chaos. And now that I can once again see the flow of the story, I am back to writing it and loving it.

Reaction score
Please sit down for what I am about to say, but that diagram is only 1/4 of the whole. Yes, you read that correctly. The full diagram is four times larger, but I couldn't fit it all into the screen capture. Furthermore, that part of the diagram represents the first third of the story. So, I'm sure that looks quite overwhelming, but consider these details.

The story follows the residents of a small town during a horrific supernatural event. My protagonists are a team of characters with multiple POVs. My antagonist is supernatural and manifests in multiple characters also requiring multiple POVs. There are about thirty situation characters (i.e. town residents) that are each uniquely affected by the event and react to their unique situations via their own point of view. The plot is far more compelling and engaging than I originally anticipated (which is delightful, BTW) and the multiple POVs hooks draws the reader along. It is a story in the truest sense of the word.

However, as the author, keeping track of all the POVs and characters has been mind boggling. Each voice is different, each reaction is unique. I must take care to not drop a thread. And then I realized that each character is not linear! The characters are people in a small town. They know each other and they interact with each other.

Suddenly, my plot lines were intersecting and looked as complicated as an unraveled DNA helicoil.

Scapple was the tool that helped me bring order to the chaos. And now that I can once again see the flow of the story, I am back to writing it and loving it.

Speaking of this, one thing Bret Easton Ellis did for Glamorama was he made a big ass diagram for a type of Ludlum type espionage story and etc, but he drew a box on the his posterboard and whatever was outside of that box on the diagram would not be covered in the book. I always wanted to try that.

DamienLoveshaft

Fudanshi
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.damienloveshaft.com
I use scrivener's cork board for plotting. It's easy to use and you can write your scenes even then move the card around until you like the look of it. It also keeps research info, setting, characters, etc.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I've moved this to Tech Help since I think it merits a wider audience.

Two virtual corkboard possibilities:

Writing Outliner; this is an add-on for Microsoft Word for Windows. It's $49.00 and offers a corkboard "view."

A beta version of a Windows program Corkboard.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Writing Outliner; this is an add-on for Microsoft Word for Windows.
Interesting, if not the fact that it only works with antiquated versions of Word and Windows. No Office365 nor Windows 10 support. I'm a bit wary of a comment in the support section, dating 02-SEP-2016 (BOLD mine):
Posted in: Outliner Software by Edwin on September 2, 2016
Dear WritingOutliner users,

I know some of they are not satisfied with the WritingOutliner development in recent years, for reasons such as WritingOutliner not working with the latest Word, etc.

All your questions will be answered. Please head over to {broken link}

I wish you keep your faith on WritingOutliner, I do and always do. ��

Thanks.

It otherwise looks promising and the blog shows some progress.

-cb

Status
Not open for further replies.