How long did it take you to get published?

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score
I had eight rejections over the course of about a year, and then I got a publishing deal for my first novel. I worked on the novel for years and years prior to that, though.

TessB

The Boxing Baroness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tessbowery.com
Depends on what you mean; I've been published quite a bit in a semi-fictional genre (game writing) under another name, and that started because I was in-house and available to do fill-in work and copy editing. That was all work-for-hire, and designed by the senior editorial staff. I've also played text-based roleplay with intricate storylines and written fic for years, both of which I consider invaluable for strengthening my prose and my development as a storyteller.

Officially, it took me just over a year to publish my first original novel - I started outlining Rite of Summer in (edited) probably March 2013, finished the second draft in May 2014, submitted to two houses simultaneously, got one immediate rejection for wrong-market, and one sale. Contract signed in September.

Unofficially, I'd say I've been working toward this level for about fifteen years.

Last edited: