Is is possible to quit smoking and NOT get fat...and NOT kill everyone you know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, so maybe there's something in the air. I dunno. It seems like so many people I know are quitting smoking. I am rolling around the idea of starting to consider the possibility of thinking about maybe quitting smoking. Maybe.

I've been a smoker for about 9 years. It is strange that I am scared to death of putting on 20 pounds? Is it dumb to think that I will not have a single friend left because I will be so mean? Is it superficial to worry that I will start getting all wrinkly before my time? Bigger question - Why is it that this little gold pack *holds up Winston lights 100s pack and shakes it* is such a comforting thing? Comforting to the point that it's scary to think of not buying them any more?

I don't want to be a 40 year old smoker. In a coupla weeks I will be turning 38. I think I want to officially be a for-real non-smoker before I am 40. I don't want to develop that gravely voice and start hacking in the mornings. (Thankfully I don't do that - yet) I don't want to have to spritz febreze everywhere before company comes over anymore.

So, here is the problem. How do you do it? I know there are a million ways. Wellbutrin. Gum. The patch. Stepping down. Cold turkey. Do it with a friend - hubby would probably quit with me. Those of you who have successfully quit - long term - how did you do it? Do you have any surviving friends? Did you gain weight? Were you able to keep from gaining weight? How long after you quit did you start feeling better - not getting winded climbing stairs and all that?

I don't think I can do this alone. See, exercising is noticable. You get atta boys from people you know because they can see the results of your hard work. How do you keep motivated to not smoke?

Last edited:

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
The weight thing is mostly a problem because instead of smoking you will grab for something to eat. Oh, I'd like a cigarette, damn, I can't. Ok, let's get that Snickers.
I put on 7 kilograms like that. But if you don't start eating you usually don't really put on any weight, maybe a bit, but sure not 20 pounds.

About the people I can't help you, mine loved me enough to stick around ;)

And I first stopped smoking and just allowed myself one cigarette every day after dinner, just my bonus for not having smoked otherwise and when I didn't really miss them anymore during the day, I started to have only a cigarette on sundy, my bonus for not having smoked during the week. And once there I just made sure I stayed there and only occasionally smoke one in special circumstances, which adds up to about 5 cigarettes a year, which I personally don't find the end of the world ;)

scfirenice

professional multitasker
Registered
Reaction score
I think it is different for everyone. My mom quit after 35 years using the gum, my dad quit a 2 pack a day 40 year habit cold turkey....The weight isn't a big deal because IN THE END, you will get it off. You're too disciplined NOT to! Good luck.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Well, hi little mommy! Haven't seen you in a while! I tried to send you a rep point, but it seized up on me. (love that pic - you look so beautiful)

Hubby has tried the gum. He says it really takes the edge off. I think maybe he hasn't been successful because I have never tried to quit with him. I just checked the almanac. Tomorrow and April 23 are the next best two days for quitting. Dunno if I am up for it tomorrow, but maybe April 23?

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I'm not a smoker, but I read a tip that I have passed on to several smoker-friends who have reported it very helpful. The doctor told his patients they could smoke whenever they wanted to, but they couldn't do anything else while they were smoking. They had to go outside, alone, and smoke and concentrate on the smoking of that cigarette - smoke it mindfully as it were. No having coffee or talking on the phone or flipping through a magazine. Just smoke.

He had success with many patients with this tactic and the friends that have tried it say that it dramatically cut down the number of cigarettes they smoked, right from day one. Now, getting all the way off? I dunno.

Good luck! Do it!

Lantern Jack

My kitten knows kung-fu!
Registered
Reaction score
I think the purpose of quitting smoking is so that you don't kill everybody you know. Killing everybody you know while you're quitting would be, uh, counter-productive.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Lantern Jack said:
I think the purpose of quitting smoking is so that you don't kill everybody you know.

How's that? I thought the purpose of quitting is so that I don't kill myself. Oh well. I'm just a smoker. What do *I* know. I don't smoke around non-smokers, so how is it that I am killing them?

Killing everybody you know while you're quitting would be, uh, counter-productive.
Ya think? I was referring to the well documented irritability associated with removing nicotine from a person's system after being dependant on it for a long time.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Perks, that makes total sense. I rarely just sit and smoke while doing nothing else. I am a multi-tasker! I think deliberately contemplating that cigarette would definitely get old.

One thing I do think is that I am going to have to replace this habit with another. I read once about a lady who replaced cigarettes with yoga breathing. She did it by accident. It was in the 70's when it wasn't so common to hear about the dangers of smoking and not many were targeting smokers as the largest evil this planet has ever known. She simply started taking yoga classes. She felt better. Her doctor asked her if she had though about quitting, and it was the first time it had occurred to her. She thought about it and realized that yoga breathing was similar in many ways to how a person smokes a cigarette. Deliberate. Methodical. She tried it and had great success. She put down her cigarettes and quit cold turkey. From then on, she just stopped what she was doing and took deep cleansing breaths whenever she felt the urge to light up!

dahmnait

Just a figment…
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
When you figure it out, will you let me know?
Good for you Carole, this is a hard one. First thing is to pick a date. If you think that April will be better than go for it, just remember that gives you a month to change your mind. So if you pick that date, you want to do something that will keep your resolve between now and then.

Make sure you get rid of all smoking paraphernalia. Throw out the ashtrays, put away the lighters, etc. Change your routine. If you normally smoke with your coffee in the morning (this was the hardest for me), change where and when you drink your coffee. I exercised before having my coffee in the morning. This gave me the boost I needed before my coffee. Substitute an activity for your cravings. It is better to substitute with a physical activity, since that will help fool your body. Every time I craved, I cleaned. (My house was spotless for a while.)

As for the weight, grapes were my lifesaver. When you quit your body craves the sweets because it gives the same kind of rush. I kept grapes and carrots with me at all times. Grapes for the sugars and carrots because they had the same kind of shape as a cigarette. Albeit, a very large, fat cigarette. I don't have any experience with gum or patches, but if either works for you, use them.

And most of all, use your vanity to your benefit! You can always lose weight if you gain, but you can't get rid of the wrinkles. If that fails, just keep in mind what the extra energy will do for your sex life.
wink.gif

You can do this!

ETA: I was writing this while the other posts were happening above. Yoga would be a great tool for quitting! I wish I knew of that when I quit.

Last edited:

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
There are many techniques to quiting smoking. Make a list of pros and cons, such as pros, your clothing won't reak of smoke, you won't have clothes with burn holes in them, your health will improve, and cons, if you can think of a con. ;)

Figure out how much money you'll save in a year and save that money and buy yourself something really cool as a gift at the end of that year.

Chew gum. Smoking is an oral fixation and that is why many people gain weight, they substitute eating for smoking. Chew gum. Chew on a pencil. Kiss someone, preferably your S.O.

I have more, but my family can't get along without me, I'll post more later.

By the way, I smoked for nearly 25 years when I finally quit cold turkey.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
I think that first, you have to psychologically work yourself up to being a non-smoker - you have to make "not smoking" sound desirable, rather than a something to be feared. Perhaps if you convince yourself that what you are doing is not "quitting smoking" you are "getting healthy" a major part of which includes not smoking.

Getting your husband to quit with you would be very helpful. You would have a partner to talk you out of a cig if you want one, and you won't be tempted when he smokes.

You should also write a list of the pros of being healthy/quitting smoking (saving money, no smell, living longer etc). Write down what you fear most about doing so (withdrawl? losing that comfort?) and after you identify it, find steps to address it. If it's the physical discomfort use the patch or nicotine gum (which might be a good idea anyway). If it's the ritual, you have to find a substitute or take steps to avoid the situation, ie. if you always smoke with a cup of coffee, then switch to tea for awhile, if you smoke first thing when you get up - have a shower first thing instead.

The pyschological urge to smoke only lasts for a few minutes. Find something else to do instead of smoking to take your mind off of it. Try walking around the block - get a pedometer so you can see how far you go in a day (you can see the results of getting healthy rather than smoking).

Drink lots of water. Water is healthy adds no calories, and it helps to flush the nictotine out of your system.

Make sure you have lots of crunchy veggies in water in the fridge - low calorie and can satisfy the hand to mouth behaviour that you are used to.

Take the money that you would spend on smokes every day and put it in a jar. At the end of the month count it up and spend it on something for you or your family.

Good luck to you, it's a difficult thing to do.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Shadow_Ferret said:
your clothing won't reak of smoke, you won't have clothes with burn holes in them,
I'm kinda fanatical about my clothes. Thankfully I don't have any with burn holes in them
your health will improve, and cons, if you can think of a con. ;)
The only con I can think of is being hateful. Maybe I should just invest in a worrystone or a koosh-ball to squeeze or something.

Figure out how much money you'll save in a year and save that money and buy yourself something really cool as a gift at the end of that year.

O.M.G. At the end of a year, I will have saved $1,460. together, hubby and I will save $4,380 because he smokes almost 2 packs a day!!! Holy CARP!!!!!

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
I've tried recently to quit and the weight thing I can manage - but the 'kill everyone' is the rough part. I'm beginning to think I need to go on a 2 week remote wilderness retreat without cigarettes and get my aggression under control someplace where nobody will get hurt. The first two weeks are really bad for me - I haven't made it through them yet because I don't want to lose my job.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Dawno, hubby tells me thatwhen he has tried ot quit in the past, nicotine gum really helped with the irritability. It didn't take it away, but it helped take the *bite* out of it and make it more manageable.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Carole--I'm in my third month of not smoking--I quit the first of the year.

I smoked for 18 years, anywhere from 1 to 2 1/2 packs a day, depending on stress levels, job-at-the-time, and so on.

The big thing for me was figuring out what holes I was using the smokes to cover over, or fill up. I feel angry? Have a smoke. I feel anxious? Have a smoke. Impatient? Insecure? Sad? Yep--have a nice smoke, and that all eases back to so much background white noise.

I used the lozenges for a couple of weeks, but they gave me the hiccups and made me sort of queasy.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Mac, three months into it, is it still a battle for you? That's something I haven't heard anyone say. How long it takes to get a grip. I don't want to spend the rest of my life whimpering every time I pass a convenience store, wishing I could have a cigarette.

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I lost weight when I quit smoking. Going on 16 years now.

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
It's not a battle, like it was the first couple of weeks.

It still hits me hard, out of the blue, on occasion.

I eat a LOT of sunflower seeds, in the shell--that helps as much or more than the lozenges or gum, after that first week, did. The first week, I had blisters on the inside of my bottom lip, and the tip of my tongue from all the salt. heh.

Oh--and I started running regularly, again. I haven't gained any weight.

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
I've had many many friends try to quit smoking. And I found the number one reason why they wouldn't:

They don't want to.

Maybe, inside, you don't want to. That's why you are starting to have doubts and worrying about all the bad things that could happen to you if you quit smoking. Because, deep down inside, you don't want to quit smoking.

So, first of all, you have to convince yourself that this is what you want to do. That you won't gain weight or get irritable.

I too had to go through the quit smoking phase. Since I had a great incentive for doing so, it was not so hard to quit smoking even though everyone around me still smoked. I did it because I WANTED too.

True, every now and then (about once every 2 months) I take a cigarette because the stress of all that's happening gets to me, but I smoke one and then forget all about it, because I don't really want to smoke.

Hope that helps, the grapes and carrot things are great advice too. Plus, grapes are yummy.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck, Carole. Being a lifelong non-smoker, I don't have much useful advice. My parents were smokers who quit about 15 years ago, but I was an adult living on my own by then, so I really didn't see how they coped on a day-to-day basis. I think they used the gum to help.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Well, of course I don't want to. ~laughing~ I like to smoke! I don't like the idea of waking up one day having to hack and cough and hock up nasty stuff to be able to breathe and I don't like the idea that my lungs won't always be my friend if I keep smoking. And yes - there is the vanity thing. I don't like the idea that I will, most assuredly, be one of those old ladies with deep crevices instead of some ordinary wrinkles. Mom is 67 - almost 68 - and hardly has any lines at all. She smoked from the time she was a senior in high school until she was 30. I didn't start until I was almost 30. Smoking is enjoyable - that's why I do it in the first place. I have to find my reasons for wanting to quit rather than finding reasons why I don't enjoy smoking. That's not gonna happen.

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Oh yeah. I LOVE to smoke. oooooooooohhhh man. Heh.

I didn't want to quit, either.

I just didn't want to go on lying to myself at the level required to justify continuing.

Status
Not open for further replies.