• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Display Site] Million Dollar Creation

rodentone

Registered
Reaction score
Website
p076.ezboard.com
I received this invitation by email today. It came from a new writer's site and looks good, at least on first read. It says:

-------------------------------​

We enjoyed reading your writings and would like to invite you to publish your writings on www.milliondollarcreation.com.​

Our mission is to discover and promote creative talents. Currently we are collecting writings for publication in four e-books/print books: a collection of short fiction stories, a collection of short non-fiction stories, a collection of poems and lyrics, and a collection of essays. We would like to invite you to submit your writings for possible inclusion in these books.​

At www.milliondollarcreation.com, you may publish your writings, songs, photos and videos for millions to see and for a chance to win the $1,000,000 Million Dollar Creation Award and other awards. In addition, if we select your work for publication in a book or CD/DVD or production into a TV show or movie, most of the profit will be paid to you. Voting for the $2,500 Popular Creations Bronze Awards is ongoing now.​

Thank you and look forward to reading your stories on www.milliondollarcreation.com.​

--------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Suspicious, I checked them out. Now, they promise a lot of money, even a million dollar prize, plus many smaller prizes. Funny though, I can't find any timetable on their site, only "As soon as possible."​

The thing thIt came from a new writer's site and looks good, at least on first read. at got my "Spider Sense" buzzing was all the promises of money, endlessly. I looked over their FAQ and found it was almost all about the prizes.​

Also, I looked for and couldn't see any explanation of where that money was coming from, on a free site. Apparently some anonymous benefactor has a lot of spare cash to give as prizes. Has Bill Gates got a private project? Sounds more like Sergeant Bilko to me.​

-----------------------------------​

In their Privacy Statement I found:​

Digital Rights​

Applications you use or download from this Website may contain third party digital rights management systems (“DRMS”) which may allow for communication between your software and the third party and utilize security features to prevent unauthorized use or distribution. These DRMS are subject to their own license agreements and you agree that we shall not be responsible for any loss or damage of any sort relating to the use of the DRMS or your dealings with such third parties. The applications may also contain DRMS produIt came from a new writer's site and looks good, at least on first read. ced by us which allow for communication between the applications you use or download and our systems to prevent unauthorized use of the applications.​

I looked it up in the Wikipedia and found:​

According to Wiki, it might well check on your use of music and other programs. Possibly to screw up your system.​

--------------------------------------------------​

In it's terms of use agreement, that you submit to in order to become a member:​

COPYRIGHT AND COMPENSATION​

You own the copyright to your Content. By posting your Content in any form to the It came from a new writer's site and looks good, at least on first read. Website, in addition to other provisions of the Terms, you grant MDC, and its successors, assigns, licensees, parent, subsidiary and other affiliated entities, a world-wide, non-exclusive, royalty-free license to publicly display, publish, perform, produce, distribute, transmit, reproduce, re-format, store, prepare derivative works based on your Content, either separately or in a collection with other contents, in any manner and in any medium now known or hereafter to become known, including but not limited to,​

· Displaying, broadcasting, performing, distributing, downloading or transmitting your Content over Digital Rights​

Applications you use or download from this Website may contain third party digital rights management systems (“DRMS”) which may allow for communication between your software and the third party and utilize security features to prevent unauthorized use or distribution. These DRMS are subject to their own license agreements and you agree that we shall not be responsible for any loss or damage of any sort relating to the use of the DRMS or your dealings with such third parties. The applications may also contain DRMS produced by us which allow for communication between the applications you use or download and our systems to prevent unauthorized use of the applications.the Internet or any other wired or wireless communication networks or combinations thereof;​

· Publishing or producing a print book, CD, DVD, radio show (broadcast through an AM, FM or satellite radio station), theater live performance, television show (broadcast through a TV channel or cable or satellite network) or movie (for showing in movie theaters) that is entirely your Content or aIt came from a new writer's site and looks good, at least on first read. significant portion of it is your Content (“Production”).​

In all cases, you will be acknowledged as an author. If a Production earns a profit, MDC may pay you a percentage of the profit earned from the Production. It is MDC's intent to pay you an amount that will encourage you and other users to continue to contribute Content to the Website. You agree that MDC calculates and determines in its sole discretion the time and amount of the payment, if any, to you, and the decision is final and cannot be appealed. You agree that you shall not have any other right in any Production. You must be the creator or author of the Content to be acknowledged as such and to receive compensation.​

-----------------------------------------------------------------​

You will notice that you always retain your rights, but that they can use your work any way they want, and that they are the sole judge of any compensation. An 'intent' to pay is hardly binding, and I don't like the use of 'may' pay you compensation. Also, you agree not to fight their decision in the matter.​

I'd like a million dollars for a story, but I think I'll pass on being a member of that site.

Oscar Rat

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Million Dollar Creation

In the maybe-not-a-scam-but-definitely-a-really-bad-idea category, an alert Writer Beware reader sent me a link to Million Dollar Creation, a post-your-work-for-all-to-see website.

Post-your-work sites (as distinct from password-protected online critique groups) are almost universally a waste of time (Ann blogged about this a while back), but this one is especially bizarre. No indication who's funding the supposed million dollar prize. The FAQ seems to be written by a confused person whose first language is not English. Among other lovely tidbits in the Terms of Use, posting work on the site gives the site owners a license to do whatever they like with it, including make a profit by publishing it, in which case the author might or might not be paid.

Not that anyone will be making any money on the content there, judging by a random sampling of posted work.

- Victoria

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Yup. And whomp the "new writer's site" upside the head for giving out/using your address for advertising.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Yet another vanished venture. No sign of any anthology being produced (or award(s) given).

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Aha, an old revived thread. Just for the record, this is the "last known copy" of the now-defunct website (may take a few seconds to load, like most pages from archive.org):
http://web.archive.org/web/20060610195704/http://milliondollarcreation.com/

And in case anyone wants a domain with such dubious history, Godaddy tells me:
milliondollarcreation.com is currently unregistered!
Click here to register this domain now!