AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Publisher] Crooked Lane Books / Quick Brown Fox & Co.

[Publisher] Crooked Lane Books / Quick Brown Fox & Co.

http://www.crookedlanebooks.com/

They don't have any books, at least from what I can see. When they say "partner with authors" it has me leery thinking it might be a vanity press.

practical experience, FTW JaneD's Avatar
    They say they are an imprint of Quick Brown Fox & Co. When I googled the name I just got the FB page of a furniture restoration company. There was a UK publisher called Quick Brown Fox but they seem to have gone out of business.
    My blog http://janedougherty.wordpress.com/

The Green Woman trilogy available from Amazon

This is not a vanity press nor a UK Press. It's the new division of a company that did book club books for a long time. I know the ed director there and have sold to him at his previous job. I believe they only take agented submissions, but I'm not 100% sure of that.

I'm glad you cleared that up Janet. That makes a huge difference.

Looks like they all came from excellent backgrounds. The site is great, I think. Very professional. I just wish they had some books, or maybe I'm missing that.

You can submit directly, you don't need an agent. They have a short and to the point submission guideline on the FAQ page.

practical experience, FTW aleighrose's Avatar
    Edit: Gah! Never mind; that info is on their site. This is why I shouldn't post so late at night.
    Last edited by aleighrose; 10-05-2014 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Loopiness from lack of sleep
    ~ Leigh

paranormal erotic romance gingerwoman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Undercover View Post
    http://www.crookedlanebooks.com/

They don't have any books, at least from what I can see. When they say "partner with authors" it has me leery thinking it might be a vanity press.
    I'm seeing more legitimate publishers use language like that, I think because of the new popularity of the new self publishing. They want to emphasize that they will pay the author a fair share.
    Paranormal Romance -Menage - Erotic Romance from Samhain Publishing 4th place for Best Published Paranormal in the Passionate Plume award.

To find actively acquiring publishers and agents visit my blog
    http://lisawhitefern.wordpress.com/

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin JohannaC's Avatar
    I submitted to Crooked Lane Books yesterday. I would be interested in hearing from others regarding their experiences with this small pub.

My agent just subbed my supernatural crime thriller to Matt Martz at Crooked Lane - said he was "excited to read it." Hopefully there will be a positive response. I really like the looks of this company. They have lots of great experience in the New York publishing world and are distributed by the Legato/Perseus Books Group.
    Author of high-octane sci-fi, fantasy and horror!

www.tobytatestories.com Amazon

I like them too. I sent them a YA about a year and a half ago (when I was posting before.) I got a quick reply 10 days later and it was a sweet rejection saying that I had a good hook and that I had an engaging protagonist but the focus was younger than what they're looking for. The query mentioned her in high school so I figure that's too young.

I submitted another one just recently, not remembering about the YA issue. This one they're graduating (not sure if that makes a difference) but it's going longer than the quick reply from last time. I'm thinking I might still run into the age problems though. It was worth a shot. They look like a really good company to work with. They're also on Netgalley which is great for the books, more reviews, more exposure to libraries too.

Good luck, Undercover!
    Author of high-octane sci-fi, fantasy and horror!

www.tobytatestories.com Amazon

Have you heard anything recently from Crooked Lane?
    DEATH OF A BRIDE AND GROOM

My website: www.allanjemerson.com

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    I have a three-book deal with them for my cozy mystery series. They are great to work with so far, and now have quite a few books out (and a lot more scheduled for release soon).

Very professional and the editing has been excellent and thorough.

Quote Originally Posted by LucidDreamer View Post
    I have a three-book deal with them for my cozy mystery series. They are great to work with so far, and now have quite a few books out (and a lot more scheduled for release soon).

Very professional and the editing has been excellent and thorough.
    Congratulations LucidDreamer!

I recently submitted to Crooked Lane. Could you give me an idea regarding their response times--from query to partial requests to full requests, etc.?

Thanks!
    Last edited by smbishop; 09-05-2017 at 07:38 PM.

figuring it all out quianaa2001's Avatar
    Looking for similar info on reply times

Sockpuppet
    They have been on a buying frenzy. Matt Martz is a former Macmillan editor (Minotaur), and has managed to woo away top-notch big-house editors to their company (Ann Brewer, Faith Black). Their editors contact agents from time to time, even call, in order to see what they have on their lists and CL might want. I've not seen their contract, but they brag that it's great, with nice advances, etc. Anyone here that can give us some insight into their contract?

Thanks for the info. Looking to replace my current small publisher. Submitting today. CL site promises reply in two weeks or its a pass. Keep you posted. Wish me luck!