"Jailed Cop Killer Invited To Speak At Goddard College, Prison Chief Is Outraged"

AMCrenshaw

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dfnovellas.wordpress.com
Again, Vince, I think your argument hinges on the idea that commencement speakers are being honored. Given a platform to speak does not equal being honored. That involves a preconception on your part.

In addition I ask you be mindful of name calling. Not a subject I want to discuss with you.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
That reduces his entire worth as a person to a single act.
Pretty much. Yep. That works for me. But keep in mind, it wasn't simply one non-consequential act. It was a barbarous act. And, yes, to me that one barbarous act defines his entire worth. When you murder someone, you deserve to be defined by that act.

He will forever be judged for that single act, and making sure of that appears to be the goal of many of those opposed to the Goddard students' decision.
You're suggesting we stop judging him for being a murderer? When exactly is it the right time to stop judging murderers for being murderers?

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
If they invited him to speak on the basis of his killing a cop, then they must have been very disappointed, since that hardly figured into his speech at all, except for passing mentions of having been on Death Row.

Again, I do.

We'll just have to agree to disagree then.

That they made a mistake. They were cruel and didn't give a flying fuck about her feelings and that by giving a moment of honor to a man who murdered her husband, they were saying her pain is insignificant, her loss was immaterial, the dreams of a future and plans to have a family with him irrelevant compared to us wanting to be cool and different and have a meaningless moment. And God help us should we ever have someone we love ripped from our lives and be disgusted that for decades people are more interested in honoring that person's killer and not honoring the memory of that person that had their life stolen.

:rolleyes:

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
You're suggesting we stop judging him for being a murderer? When exactly is it the right time to stop judging murderers for being murderers?

No, I'm saying it's possible to judge criminals for things besides their crimes.

Roman Polanski's sexual abuse case doesn't make him less of a filmmaker, for example.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
No, I'm saying it's possible to judge criminals for things besides their crimes.

Roman Polanski's sexual abuse case doesn't make him less of a filmmaker, for example.
You invite him to dinner. I'll pass.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
Again, Vince, I think your argument hinges on the idea that commencement speakers are being honored. Given a platform to speak does not equal being honored. That involves a preconception on your part.

In addition I ask you be mindful of name calling. Not a subject I want to discuss with you.

I think that most consider a commencement speech a point of honor. It's not academic. And the important part of what you said was Being given. There was no reason to give this to him.

As far as name calling, I hadn't realize I had. I apologize that I either did or gave the impression.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I've only been on one. It was worse than Death Row.

To be fair, one generally spends less time on a long-distance bus than one does on Death Row. On the other hand, it seems longer.

AMCrenshaw

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dfnovellas.wordpress.com
I think that most consider a commencement speech a point of honor. It's not academic. And the important part of what you said was Being given. There was no reason to give this to him.

A) Neither you, nor I can realistically speak to most people's opinions and B) that might be true in relation to a more or less traditional university.

As far as name calling, I hadn't realize I had. I apologize that I either did or gave the impression.
no biggie

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Pretty much. Yep. That works for me. But keep in mind, it wasn't simply one non-consequential act. It was a barbarous act. And, yes, to me that one barbarous act defines his entire worth. When you murder someone, you deserve to be defined by that act.

Huh. I was thinking of going with a Joe Paterno reference, myself...

But you know, I agree that Polanski's actions--his drugging and raping of a minor--don't impact his abilities as a filmmaker. The question is whether or not such actions are sufficient--for a given individual--to make a point of ignoring his films, of saying "I'm not going to spend any money or time for Polanski's benefit, ever."

Different people have different standards in this regard.

Me, I have no interest in anything Abu-Jamal has to say. I wouldn't cross the street to hear him speak or buy one of his books on a bet. But that's me.

It doesn't bother me that he gave a commencement speech in the least, though. If it was my commencement speech, it might have. Probably not, since it's just not that important a thing imo.

But...as much as he can give that speech, can use the event as a platform to say what he will, others can do the same to criticize him.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
But you know, I agree that Polanski's actions--his drugging and raping of a minor--don't impact his abilities as a filmmaker. The question is whether or not such actions are sufficient--for a given individual--to make a point of ignoring his films, of saying "I'm not going to spend any money or time for Polanski's benefit, ever."

Different people have different standards in this regard.

I agree.

I think it's perfectly valid to disregard Abu-Jamal's writings and anything he has to say based on what he did.

But likewise, I think it's asinine to argue that when other people choose to read or listen to him anyway, it's 100% due to implicit support for what he did.

The question I was addressing was whether or not such actions are sufficient to conclude that any individual who doesn't dismiss a person for them is also culpable.

But...as much as he can give that speech, can use the event as a platform to say what he will, others can do the same to criticize him.

I think it's fine to criticize him... it's what those criticisms reveal that are of interest to me. Not all criticisms are created equal.

Last edited:

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nighttimer: Michael Jordan. Leaps of logic: Dunking from the half-court line.[

--

Is this you geeking out because NBA 2K15 was released today or you wanting to make it abundantly clear you have nothing remotely resembling a rebuttal to my post?

AMCrenshaw said:
Keep in mind it might very well be the ability to tell a compelling tale that is of interest to Goddard students.

Keep in mind if you actually read the transcript of Abu-Jamal remarks as posted by Mr. Haskins there was a lot of standard revolutionary boilerplate, empty platitudes, trivial sentimentality, tedious tripping down Memory Lane and a few newsworthy references just to be topical.

I'm sure a few of Abu-Jamal's fellow Goddardites squirmed with boredom in their seats. :e2yawn:

They thought they were getting fire and brimstone from a radical political prisoner and all they got was the dull reminiscences of a 60-year-old convict. How very disappointing for them.

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with inviting a murderer to speak at a commencement.

I think everything is inherently wrong with inviting a murderer or a rapist or a pedophile or other violent, pathological, unrepentant scum to speak at a commencement.

There is a reason why convicted murderers are not allowed to roam freely, interact with whomever they choose whenever they want and otherwise do as they please. They got to where they are by depriving another person of their life, liberty and pursuit of happiness, so they deserve no liberty, denial of what makes them happy and a severely restricted, controlled and limited life.

Mumia Abu-Jamal will be judged for the remainder of his life for taking Daniel Faulkner's. He doesn't deserve the honor, but he's arrogant enough to play on the gullibility and cluelessness of bourgeois radical wannabees looking to flip the bird to The Man and polite society.

There are hundreds--maybe thousands--of prisoners unjustly serving hard time whose stories are more compelling and the evidence they were wrongly convicted than that of the cop killer formerly known as Wesley Cook. But they weren't invited to speak to the Goddard grads. Guess they didn't have the advantage as Abu-Jamal did to get a private school education in Vermont and squander the advantage so spectacularly.

Showering honors and accolades on a murderer is not a sign of critical thinking and thumbing one's nose at mindless conformity. It's the same old radical chic dressed up in contemporary gear.

But when George Zimmerman, Susan Smith, and Charles Manson hit the commencement circuit, I'll be sure to let you know so you can score your tickets.

Last edited:

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I think everything is inherently wrong with inviting a murderer or a rapist or a pedophile or other violent, pathological, unrepentant scum to speak at a commencement.

Oh, I'm abundantly aware that issues concerning criminals, prisoners, and the death penalty are probably the biggest area where our views are radically and diametrically opposed.

But I guess if I agreed with you all the time, things would get boring.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Keep in mind if you actually read the transcript of Abu-Jamal remarks as posted by Mr. Haskins there was a lot of standard revolutionary boilerplate, empty platitudes, trivial sentimentality, tedious tripping down Memory Lane and a few newsworthy references just to be topical.

I'm sure a few of Abu-Jamal's fellow Goodardites squirmed with boredom in their seats. :e2yawn:

That was certainly my reaction to the speech. I was so bored I had trouble finishing it.

There are hundreds--maybe thousands--of prisoners unjustly serving hard time whose stories are more compelling and the evidence they were wrongly convicted than that of the cop killer formerly known as Wesley Cook.

And that really gets me riled. What a waste of energy and attention has been squandered on someone who's had quite enough undeserved fanfare, when there are so many people more deserving -- and who might make better use of it.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I'm abundantly aware that issues concerning criminals, prisoners, and the death penalty are probably the biggest area where our views are radically and diametrically opposed.

Are they? Or is it merely most of polite society has declined the opportunity to join in on the romanticizing of an unrepentant killer who has reinvented himself as a political prisoner unjustly imprisoned by a racist, imperialistic government, but whose story has been proven to be a royal scam which doesn't hold up to scrutiny?

The burden of proof is on the shoulders of Mumia Abu-Jamal's admirers, sympathizers and supporters to make the case he is the martyr he fancies himself to be. But I don't see a Gandhi, a King or a Mandela or even a Bobby Sands in the prisoner formerly known as Wesley Cook. What I see is a wily, intelligent, manipulative, and charismatic con man who saw the need within some on the political Left to latch onto a figure to rally around and seized the opportunity to fill the void.

kuwisdelu said:
But I guess if I agreed with you all the time, things would get boring.

If everyone is thinking alike nobody is thinking very much. Conformity is corrosive.