The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Agency] Rebecca Friedman Literary

Professor of applied misanthropy Drachen Jager's Avatar

[Agency] Rebecca Friedman Literary

I searched, but couldn't find this one here or on P&E.

http://rfliterary.com/

Anyone have experience with them? I queried after finding them on QT, they appear to have an extensive track record and a large stable of productive authors. Rebecca Friedman apparently used to work at Hill Nadell, so I presume she's only hung out her own shingle recently (her AgentQuery page still has her listed as working at HN).

They asked for my full today so I'm a long way from having to make any decisions. Any info is appreciated.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Eris0303's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drachen Jager View Post
    I searched, but couldn't find this one here or on P&E.

http://rfliterary.com/

Anyone have experience with them? I queried after finding them on QT, they appear to have an extensive track record and a large stable of productive authors. Rebecca Friedman apparently used to work at Hill Nadell, so I presume she's only hung out her own shingle recently (her AgentQuery page still has her listed as working at HN).

They asked for my full today so I'm a long way from having to make any decisions. Any info is appreciated.
    What was their response time? They're on my list but I haven't queried them yet.

You should use QueryTracker (http://querytracker.net/). they have all sorts of stats there on agents.

Each agent at RF has different times, Rachel Marks averages 22 days, Kimberley Bower 10 days, and Rebecca Friedman about a month.

My response came after about five weeks.

in my own little corner, in my own little chair
    Queried Ms. Marks last night. Does anyone know if they send a confirmation receipt?
    I haz blog--The Cinderella Diaries

I makes like a birdie here!--Tweet-Tweet!

amazon.com

I didn't get one.

Most agencies don't send a receipt.

It's true what they say about Unicorns, I have video proof!

practical experience, FTW
    I just tried to go to the agency website and got an anti-virus warning that it's unsafe.

Quote Originally Posted by Drachen Jager View Post
    I didn't get one.

Most agencies don't send a receipt.
    Thanks, Drachen!

amazon.com

I queried Marks on 11/15.
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." --Terry Pratchett

Queried Rebecca Friedman on 10/18 and received a polite rejection today from her assistant.

Escaped Mental Patient JSPembroke's Avatar
    I queried Rachel Marks on 20 Oct 14. I received back a statement from her assistant letting me know material would be reviewed within 2-3 weeks. On 5 Jan, I sent a follow-up query asking if my work was still under consideration and have not heard anything back.

Odd, but these things happen.
    You don't have to be a masochist to be a writer. But it sure helps.

Blog: The Flint Hatchet // Twitter

Pilgrimage to Skara, available on Amazon for Kindle here!

Quote Originally Posted by JSPembroke View Post
    I queried Rachel Marks on 20 Oct 14. I received back a statement from her assistant letting me know material would be reviewed within 2-3 weeks. On 5 Jan, I sent a follow-up query asking if my work was still under consideration and have not heard anything back.

Odd, but these things happen.
    JS--I queried on 10/5, got the same message as yours (sent to me twice, actually) on 10/16, and I nudged on January 26. I also haven't heard back. I do know she was moving around the holidays, so I'm sure she fell behind.

amazon.com

Escaped Mental Patient JSPembroke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher'sWife View Post
    JS--I queried on 10/5, got the same message as yours (sent to me twice, actually) on 10/16, and I nudged on January 26. I also haven't heard back. I do know she was moving around the holidays, so I'm sure she fell behind.
    Thank you, PW, good information to have.
    You don't have to be a masochist to be a writer. But it sure helps.

Blog: The Flint Hatchet // Twitter

Pilgrimage to Skara, available on Amazon for Kindle here!

It's a long and winding road RoseColoredSkies's Avatar
    I had queried Rachel on August 30, 2014, got that note from her assistant on October 17, nudged on December 8 then heard nothing. I marked it as closed/no response and then got an email from Rachel on February 25 asking if I was still seeking an agent for my novel and if I was to let her know and she'd review it.

So I guess she's still looking at it. Not sure how long to wait for her at this point.
    YA Urban Fantasy - revising
    Women's Fiction - querying

Quote Originally Posted by RoseColoredSkies View Post
    I had queried Rachel on August 30, 2014, got that note from her assistant on October 17, nudged on December 8 then heard nothing. I marked it as closed/no response and then got an email from Rachel on February 25 asking if I was still seeking an agent for my novel and if I was to let her know and she'd review it.

So I guess she's still looking at it. Not sure how long to wait for her at this point.
    Good to know, RCS. Thanks!

amazon.com

It's a long and winding road RoseColoredSkies's Avatar
    Figure I'd keep people in the loop. Rachel read my revised first chapter and had some suggestions (pointed out a plot hole) including trying it in first person. So I'm making those edits and will resubmit to her later this week.

She said she loves the concept and wants to really like the manuscript so I'm taking this as a good sign.

ETA: I requeried Rachel on 3/11/15 after putting the first chapter into first person. She requested first 50 pages today (3/16/15). Sent that off just now.

She said to give her 2-3 weeks (which should give me plenty of time to finish off and get ready if a full request comes.
    Last edited by RoseColoredSkies; 03-17-2015 at 03:34 AM.
    YA Urban Fantasy - revising
    Women's Fiction - querying

Fighting in the query trenches HilarityinLife's Avatar
    Here's a little something for anyone researching this agency.

I queried Ms. Marks on 06/15 and received a request for a full on 07/23. I am to expect an answer in 6-8 weeks.
    This request actually surprised me because the agency seems to mainly publish romance authors. My title's YA fantasy-horror. I'll post again when I receive an update.
    Last edited by HilarityinLife; 08-06-2015 at 11:32 AM.
    “You never know what's around the corner. It could be everything. Or it could be nothing. You keep putting one foot in front of the other, and then one day you look back and you've climbed a mountain.” - Tom Hiddleston

Quote Originally Posted by HilarityinLife View Post
    Here's a little something for anyone researching this agency.
    This request actually surprised because the agency seems to mainly publish romance. My title's YA fantasy-horror.
    This is really good to know. She has my full (the request came 80 days after the query), which isn't technically a Romance, but the MS I'm working on now is definitely not (crime fiction). So, I'm not sure if that's something she could sell (IF she offers to take me on as a client that is) since I'm not a Romance writer. We'll see...
    Last edited by VonAngel; 07-28-2015 at 05:37 PM.

{BLOG}

Fighting in the query trenches HilarityinLife's Avatar
    I've been researching the titles they have on their website. From the amount of reviews they get on Goodreads alone ranges from five hundred to twelve hundred. That's some great traction. Their publishing connections with HarperTeen and Simon Pulse are comforting too. I wish I could view their Publisher's Marketplace info, but it's closed. I suppose we'll just see how it goes, VonAngel?
    Last edited by HilarityinLife; 08-06-2015 at 11:37 AM.
    “You never know what's around the corner. It could be everything. Or it could be nothing. You keep putting one foot in front of the other, and then one day you look back and you've climbed a mountain.” - Tom Hiddleston

I've had a full out with Rachel Marks for 7 weeks now. She said in her email that she will respond within 6 to 8 weeks, so I'm right in the middle of that. I thought if the 8 weeks goes without a response, I would nudge and see if she's still considering it. I just hope she's not a non-responder. I'm just about holding my breath for this one. I really love what they have out. LOVE that they work with the big publishers too.
    My blog Lists of YA (and Adult) Publishers that pay advances and are accepting unagented submissions

Twitter

My YA novel, FIX ME is coming from Flux Books November 2017

I'm at 7 weeks as well, Undercover. So, I'm crossing my fingers that we hear something very soon!

Hey, Hilarity - looks like it's just a waiting game now. I've sort of given up on my MS anyway, so if she rejects it, then no love lost. I *may* still query here w/ the crime fiction when it's done since she seems to lean toward genre w/ a romantic twist...and her interests may evolve by then. We'll see. Fx'd, doll!
    Last edited by VonAngel; 08-07-2015 at 07:15 PM.

{BLOG}

She's had my full since April. I nudged once by email and again by Twitter--just oh about two weeks ago. I haven't heard a word. I thought she was a responder, now I'm not sure.

I nudged after my eight weeks were up. That was about a week ago. She just might be non responder.
    My blog Lists of YA (and Adult) Publishers that pay advances and are accepting unagented submissions

Twitter

My YA novel, FIX ME is coming from Flux Books November 2017

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    She's had my full for over 11 months. No response to nudges either.

practical experience, FTW JaneD's Avatar
    She was pretty damn quick off the mark with my rejection, so maybe there's hope for you all yet
    My blog http://janedougherty.wordpress.com/

The Green Woman trilogy available from Amazon

Well, she it took so long between query and her full request that I figure she's swamped. Plus I have other fulls that went out about the same time. I'm still waiting on those too. A few people who subbed about a month before me are just starting to hear back now. That's why I'm not stressing too much yet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast