GOTHAM (May Contain SPOILERS)

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Anybody else watch it and what did you think?

Last edited:

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
I like the quality of the acting/set. I kept forgetting that I was watching a TV show...until a commercial came on.

Royale.Revolution

Registered
Reaction score
I felt like I was watching a mini movie. I did enjoy the first episode but like @angeliz2k was saying. A lot of the story was crammed into one episode. I hope they space the stories out in the next few episode rather than introduce all the characters in one.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yep,

I like the quality of the acting/set. I kept forgetting that I was watching a TV show...until a commercial came on.

^ Totally agree.

Wasn't The Penguin a piece of work? DANG!

Brandon M Johnson

hard at work
Registered
Reaction score
I feel like this may take a few episodes to find its footing, but I agree that it was lovely to look at. I know the Penguin was getting most of the buzz from the early reviews, but Harvey Bullock and Falcone were the standouts to me. (Though the guy playing Gordon was solid, too.) I really have no idea why Selina Kyle was in this episode, though, except to meet some kind of comic book character cameo quota.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
While I'm not a Jada Pinket-Smith fan, I thought she was very good at being very bad. ;)

00Pepper

Super Pepper
Registered
Reaction score
I really enjoyed the first episode! And like others have said it really felt like watching a movie. I'm really looking forward to the season and hoping it's at least as good as the first episode was.

angeluscado

Registered
Reaction score
I liked it. I'm sure my husband will mock and make fun of me if I watch it while he's home, but I still like it.

Then again, I'm a Batman fangirl and will probably watch anything Bat-related.

The Emissary

Registered
Reaction score
Fish Mooney was the highlight of the show to me. I was in critical condition when she had my man the Penguin randomly rubbing her feet, right before chastising him for betraying her. Absolutely phenomenal.

ShaunHorton

AW's resident Velociraptor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
I'm loving it so far. The ages are throwing me off a little bit, and I didn't like those shots of Gordon's face straight on while he was running, but I loved all the cameo's. The only character I've really got some issue with, is Oswald. I have a hard time with the Penguin being a tall skinny guy, even if this is the really young version.

I also wonder if there's a little too much foreshadowing going on. Oswald being Mooney's slave, betraying her and being cast out. Then he accepts his nickname, comes back, and kills Mooney. After all, Penguins eat Fish. Maybe they'll surprise me though.

Last edited:

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Then again, I'm a Batman fangirl and will probably watch anything Bat-related.

*High-fives Angel* :Thumbs:

My Hubby rolled his eyes too when he walked into the room while I was watching it and I shushed him and pointed to the TV screen. :D

MatthewHJonesAuthor

A Desperado in Search of A Murderer
Registered
Reaction score
Anybody else watch it and what did you think?

I saw the show, and thought it might have potential. I felt it was a little desperate to establish the Batman Universe. Does it really do anything to see the Riddler before he's the Riddler? Poison Ivy as a little girl? And I had to assume that the stand-up was the Joker before the knives and face paint. I rolled my eyes at that some.

However, the James Gordon character is engaging enough and although, I'm not completely comfortable with a pee-wee Batman, I'm interested in seeing that slow transition where Bruce Wayne becomes the Mask and Batman becomes the Reality... that is, if the kid can pull it off.

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
I enjoyed it a lot. Loved the look of the city - I kept commenting on it. (And my sister laughed about how it may be the only depiction of the Waynes' funeral where it wasn't raining).

I know a lot of my friends were complaining about Bullock, but I really liked the take. I don't mind the bumbling side some takes run with, but this sort of Bullock is much more what I want out of this character.

MttStrn

Action is my reward..that and bacon
Registered
Reaction score
I have to admit I was rather unimpressed. A fair amount of corny forced dialogue and a perfect example of DC's need to force too much into one thing rather than going with the slow reveal. Did we really need to see, Penguin, Poison Ivy, Catwoman, Riddler, and Maybe-Joker among others in the first episode alone?

That all said. It does look great and if the actors get better material, they'll crush it so I'm willing to stick around for a bit to see if it finds it's legs.

However, it bothers me more than it should that Gordon does not have a mustache.

K. Q. Watson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I liked most of it, though I'm not buying Moony. I don't know if it's the scene-chewing or that she just doesn't come across as a powerful woman in a powerful position, or that she just looks scrawny.

I like Nigma being in the PD but I wish he wasn't so quirky. I hate quirky-person-in-government-position characters. It's why I hate Criminal Minds. Calm the hell down and act like a human, not as a manic pixie!

He's too unstable and things, and seems barely able to function. He needs to dial it down. Bring that out when he becomes The Riddler.

Ivy is fine, cute even. I like Selena Kyle, visually. Very cat-like.

I wish they changed Harvey's name because I kept thinking Two-Face.

I thought Gordon and Bruce were good, I like Alfred.

I feel like an idiot for not even considering the comedian could be proto-Joker.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
Overall, I liked it. Hard to judge, when they're going over such familiar territory, though I imagine the focus is on trying to make the story fresh.

Not sure I like seeing Selina Kyle so early, as a teenage pickpocket.

Always good to see Donal Logue. Looks like he's lost a lot of weight.

I always thought Gotham City was more interesting than Metropolis. It'll be interesting to see how the show develops.

Of course, we need to hear from Celia Cyanide.

The Emissary

Registered
Reaction score
I saw the show, and thought it might have potential. I felt it was a little desperate to establish the Batman Universe. Does it really do anything to see the Riddler before he's the Riddler? Poison Ivy as a little girl? And I had to assume that the stand-up was the Joker before the knives and face paint. I rolled my eyes at that some.

However, the James Gordon character is engaging enough and although, I'm not completely comfortable with a pee-wee Batman, I'm interested in seeing that slow transition where Bruce Wayne becomes the Mask and Batman becomes the Reality... that is, if the kid can pull it off.

Well, here's the thing about the show. The writers said they're not going to exactly show the Joker's origins, but they're gonna have a whole bunch of people who very well COULD be the Joker, a bunch of red herrings, but we might never really know for sure who he is. And, obviously, the comedian was the first red herring. That's an idea I really like because they're basically allowing me to choose what kind of origin I want the joker to have, and since I love his backstory in The Killing Joke, I automatically hand-picked that comedian to be the joker. Heh.

But I gotta agree with all these pre-riddler, pre-poison ivy cameos. It's alright if it's just that, cameos, but I don't need to see these people on a regular basis. Then they enter Smallville territory. Focus on the mob, or create new, interesting villains for the show. One villain I would like to see from the Batman mythos in this series is the early years of victor Zsazz. I'd love for him to be some kind of Zodiac-like serial killer who Gordon doesn't catch, or he ends up catching the wrong guy thinking it's Zsaz, thus taking someone like Batman to come in and truly put a stop to him. The thing that I like about the series is that you know Gordon's not gonna win. The man is destined to fail, and it should be heart breaking because at the end of it all Gordon might be completely hopeless and defeated before Batman shows up.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Really enjoyed it. Even my 14-year-old enjoyed it and he usually can't watch darker shows. I thought it was fun how they introduced so many characters. Its rare that a show will catch my interest from the very start. Its probably a sign it'll be canceled by episode 9.

ShaunHorton

AW's resident Velociraptor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
Well, here's the thing about the show. The writers said they're not going to exactly show the Joker's origins, but they're gonna have a whole bunch of people who very well COULD be the Joker, a bunch of red herrings, but we might never really know for sure who he is. And, obviously, the comedian was the first red herring. That's an idea I really like because they're basically allowing me to choose what kind of origin I want the joker to have, and since I love his backstory in The Killing Joke, I automatically hand-picked that comedian to be the joker. Heh.

But I gotta agree with all these pre-riddler, pre-poison ivy cameos. It's alright if it's just that, cameos, but I don't need to see these people on a regular basis. Then they enter Smallville territory. Focus on the mob, or create new, interesting villains for the show. One villain I would like to see from the Batman mythos in this series is the early years of victor Zsazz. I'd love for him to be some kind of Zodiac-like serial killer who Gordon doesn't catch, or he ends up catching the wrong guy thinking it's Zsaz, thus taking someone like Batman to come in and truly put a stop to him. The thing that I like about the series is that you know Gordon's not gonna win. The man is destined to fail, and it should be heart breaking because at the end of it all Gordon might be completely hopeless and defeated before Batman shows up.

I saw the comedian, and while obviously I thought of the Joker, I didn't feel like it was him. Honestly, I think bringing in the Joker among all the other characters they have would be overkill. Especially if they did the Joker right, he would over-shadow all the other characters. It's also not Gordon's era. The Joker's origin is supposed to be directly tied to Batman's actions, one way or another. With 'Batman' currently eight years old, I don't see that being done properly.

I also don't think Gordon is really destined to fail. We know that he does succeed in cleaning up the GCPD, and he becomes Commissioner. Just because he doesn't lock up Falcone, Penguin, Nigma, and the others and throw away the key doesn't mean he fails. Take Bullock, he's crooked, but in previous tellings, he's still around when Gordon is Commissioner, he's brutish still and an ass, but he does come around and end up being a good cop and one of Gordon's best allies on the force.

I'm definitely looking forward to the rest of this first season though.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
Of course, we need to hear from Celia Cyanide.

hahaha! I finally got to watch it today on hulu.

Overall, I was impressed. It really felt like Gotham. And they actually managed to make the Penguin interesting. He's generally not. At all.

The only thing I didn't like was Selena Kyle. She just seemed like a tiny replica of the Catwoman, and I see her as having an arc and changing a lot in her life. My worry was about her seeing Bruce's parents die. I really hope they aren't going to turn her into a Rachel Dawes character.