US launches airstrikes against ISIS (QSIS) targets in Syria

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The United States stepped up its war against the Islamic State militant group, launching air strikes on targets in Syria for the first time.

The Pentagon press secretary, rear admiral John Kirby, confirmed that the US and allied nations sent fighter jets, bomber aircraft and Tomahawk missiles in an operation against Isis that he described as “ongoing”.
More here. More everywhere, probably..

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The quote in the OP mentions that the effort is "ongoing".

The article itself says the strikes are in advance of any ground presence - and that the US has a plan to train Syrian troops for that purpose.

I haven't found a reference in the article of anyone stating that air strikes alone will do it. Have I missed it?

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
[/URL]
I haven't found a reference in the article of anyone stating that air strikes alone will do it. Have I missed it?

No. I don't think you have. I don't think that's been said. By anyone, anywhere. Certainly not by anyone with any idea about the Middle East and all that stuff.

ETA: But, hey - Australia's Jacquie Lambie hasn't weighed in yet....

Last edited:

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, she's a big help.

And she can't even see Lakemba from her house.

eta:

I think that might have been blacbird's point -- that this won't stop at air strikes.

Ah. See, Mr. Mondale, there I go again. Me culpa.

chirp

Last edited:

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Anybody who thinks air strikes will be enough to end the ISIS horror is living in CloudCuckooLand.

caw

The press conferences and talk on the Hill and etc., convinced me that we really don't need to have a goal of "end[ing] the ISIS horror."

From Gingrich to Kerry, talking about stuff like 'looking at" people, seeing "evil" and needing to "destroy them," ridding the world of a "cult," etc.

No talk of any actual threats, no talk of actual, planned anything, just the same fucking rhetoric that's trotted out every time this happens.

Air strikes in Syria would've been nice a couple of years and a couple hundred thousand murdered civilians ago too. I don't really see the point of this, particularly, besides yet another mess that's likely to bite the U.S. in the ass sooner or later, because the U.S. can't stop sticking its nose everyplace.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Anybody who thinks air strikes will be enough to end the ISIS horror is living in CloudCuckooLand.

caw

Oh, no. This is just to show the US's leadership from the air, since leadership from behind has worked so well.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
A network of "seasoned al Qaeda veterans" plotting to attack U.S. and Western interests was targeted by airstrikes overnight in Syria also aimed at ISIS, the Pentagon said early Tuesday. Fighter jets and bombers launched 14 strikes in a significant escalation in the fight against ISIS, which the U.S. has pledged to degrade and destroy in wake of the Sunni militants’ bloody rampage through Syria and Iraq.

In a statement early Tuesday, the U.S. military said that in addition to taking out ISIS targets it mounted eight separate strikes overnight “to disrupt the imminent attack plotting against the United States and Western interests conducted by a network of seasoned al Qaeda veterans,” also known as “the Khorasan group.” The strikes against Khorasan — which had established a haven in Syria to plot attacks, build roadside bombs and recruit Westerners to fight — targeted the group’s training camps, explosives production facility, communication building and command and control facilities, the Pentagon said.

A senior U.S. defense official told NBC News that intelligence agencies had requested the airstrikes against Khorasan as a last-minute add-on and said they were not the operation's primary target. U.S. jets met no resistance from Syrian forces, the official added. President Bashar Assad's regime had been notified by the U.S. of its intent to launch strikes.

While the U.S. was alone in the operations targeting Khorasan, U.S. Central Command said five Arab partner nations - Jordan, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, Qatar and the United Arab Emirates – “participated in or supported” the broader overnight assault in Syria, underscoring the broad-based coalition cobbled together by Secretary of State John Kerry. “All aircraft safely exited the strike areas," the statement added. The Jordanian army confirmed it had bombed “terrorist groups" that were planning attacks in Jordan, but did not say where. "Air force jets destroyed a number of targets that belong to some terrorist groups that sought to commit terror acts inside Jordan," the Jordanian army statement broadcast on state TV said, according to Reuters.
http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/is...is-sites-syria-targets-khorasan-group-n209421

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
They already told us that al Qaeda disavowed alliance with ASIS. Now we're targeting ISIS-aligned elements with "seasoned al Qaeda veterans"?

Uh... yeah. ISIS was once part of al Qaeda. I'm not saying it isn't possible. But I feel my credulity stretching a bit nonetheless.

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
The article itself says the strikes are in advance of any ground presence - and that the US has a plan to train Syrian troops for that purpose.

The training of Syrian "moderates" could take a year to complete. Not sure what we do in the interim - can't just bomb them for that long.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
The training of Syrian "moderates" could take a year to complete. Not sure what we do in the interim - can't just bomb them for that long.
And if history is any indication, a year later they'll be the new "extremists" and we'll have to train another group of "moderates" to take them out.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
It's unprecedented, seeing a group of Arab nations bomb another Arab nation in an effort with Western powers. That part is really amazing.

I have a pet peeve against headlines everywhere just mentioning the US or US-led and not naming all the other allies involved in these things. I know the list tends to be long, but maybe rotate names or something :) In this case, the Arab nations are the ground-breaking part, so I really would name all of them!

Why no other Western powers? It seems so strange. But I'm glad to see Sunni nations go against QSIS. That's key. And amazing.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
It's unprecedented, seeing a group of Arab nations bomb another Arab nation in an effort with Western powers. That part is really amazing.

It's not that unprecedented. It happened in the first Gulf War. Syria even helped out.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
It's not that unprecedented. It happened in the first Gulf War. Syria even helped out.

Sorry, I used the word after hearing Christiane Amanpour use it about the situation, but I'm sure she meant unprecedented cooperation or similar now that you mention it :)

Syria's army was the one I was familiar with in the first Gulf War. Did they do any bombings themselves then?

I wish I knew more about the current military structures of countries in the ME. I'd love to know who has good ground troops and might be likely to use them against QSIS. Outside of Iran, I mean!

I'm also still trying to figure Turkey out in all this. Am I wrong in thinking that the role of the Kurds is huge in Turkey's current position? It might just be their actual vulnerability given this conflict, because that's certainly enough. The freeing of their hostages gives them the green light, so we'll see, I guess!

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In fact, it wasn't just ISIS (QSIS) targets, according to this.

"These strikes were undertaken to disrupt imminent attack plotting against the United States and Western targets," said the Pentagon spokesman Admiral John Kirby in a press briefing, though he did not say what those targets were. It is understood missiles were used gets so as not to risk aircraft in an area still protected by Syrian air defences.
Though far less known than Islamic State, the US believes the Khorasan was in the final stages of planning a strike against western targets, while IS is still concentrating on expanding and holding the territory it has seized in Syria and Iraq.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/world/islamic...ror-threat-20140924-10l520.html#ixzz3EBHs1nE1

Last edited:

Synonym

Registered
Reaction score
I'm also still trying to figure Turkey out in all this. Am I wrong in thinking that the role of the Kurds is huge in Turkey's current position? It might just be their actual vulnerability given this conflict, because that's certainly enough. The freeing of their hostages gives them the green light, so we'll see, I guess!

According to the interview in William's thread "Confessions of an ex-ISIS member", Turkey has it's hands full and it's eyes firmly shut...

"How and why did you end up in Serekaniye (Ras Al-Ain) because I am not sure if it is possible to travel from Al-Raqqa to the Kurdish region these days?
My commander said Kurdish YPG was an infidel secularist army and impure, arguing that each jihadist has the duty to first purify his own people and if we were all pure then infidels would not exit. The commander and others too gave me examples of Palestine and Israel as well as Kosovo and Serbs. They told me jihadists should first fight impure Muslims of Palestine and Kosovo to purify them and this way Israelis and Serbs would not exist. This was argued against my Kurdish people too. I joined a new battalion; we went back to Turkey and crossed the Turkish border to enter Serekaniye.

And what about the Ceylanpinar Turkish border post that is heavily controlled by Turkish soldiers?
They just turned a blind eye.

How?
We were initially told by the IS field commander to fear nothing because there was cooperation with the Turks at the border. The watchtower light caught us and our commander said everybody should stop but do not look at the light. He talked on the radio, then the watchtower light began to move after 8-10 minutes and that was the signal saying we could safely cross the border."

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure why we bombed buildings at 2 am when they were most likely empty or, most likely, only had a few of our enemy inside. So now the enemy will hide out with civilians - making it much harder to kill them.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
U.A.E.’s first female fighter pilot dropped bombs on the Islamic State

Source: Washington Post

"Maj. Mariam al-Mansouri, the first female fighter pilot in the history of the United Arab Emirates, led the the Gulf state's bombing raids over Syria this week. Photos of al-Mansouri, beaming from her cockpit, that were released by the country's state news agency have taken social media by storm."

Read more: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...ter-pilot-dropped-bombs-on-the-islamic-state/

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
U.A.E.’s first female fighter pilot dropped bombs on the Islamic State

Source: Washington Post

"Maj. Mariam al-Mansouri, the first female fighter pilot in the history of the United Arab Emirates, led the the Gulf state's bombing raids over Syria this week. Photos of al-Mansouri, beaming from her cockpit, that were released by the country's state news agency have taken social media by storm."

Read more: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...ter-pilot-dropped-bombs-on-the-islamic-state/

Arm the Women!