Status
Not open for further replies.

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lesliesillusions.blogspot.com
But on the other hand, that's money out of my pocket, and I don't have experience in gauging what cover designs work in terms of attracting readers. There are a lot of covers which I haven't liked, but which an art department and marketing department approved of. So I do find it less stressful when the final decision is out of my hands. Pros and cons on both sides for me.

I agree; there are always pros and cons. Especially the money up front...that is a con for most of us! Especially for editing...that is the thing about self-pub that is most stressful to me...finding a great editor and paying them what they deserve. More than anything that is what makes me consider being a hybrid author some day (or at least attempting too!)

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
Happy October to me!

secretwatercover_zps128d4c08.jpg

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
Your cover looks extremely professional. I really love it. I can't wait to see the other one, to see what the changed element does. Good luck with hybridization! :D

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
But on the other hand, that's money out of my pocket, and I don't have experience in gauging what cover designs work in terms of attracting readers.

IMHO, the cover is as important as the jacket blurb, if not more so. I troll amazon a lot, being a thoroughly addicted reader; and I will pass right by a book with an amateurish cover. Call me shallow (but not Shirley), but if the author can't even bother to get that right, it just doesn't bode well for the contents.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
Your cover looks extremely professional. I really love it.

Thank you! I hoped it would be able to hold its own with my Samhain covers, and I don't think I need to worry in that respect. :)

IMHO, the cover is as important as the jacket blurb, if not more so. I troll amazon a lot, being a thoroughly addicted reader; and I will pass right by a book with an amateurish cover. Call me shallow (but not Shirley), but if the author can't even bother to get that right, it just doesn't bode well for the contents.

It can be bewildering if you've never organized your own cover before, and I feel for authors who have been told that anyone can create a cover with Photoshop. Seriously, I considered this. Then I came to my senses. Even if I had the necessary competence with Photoshop, it wouldn't have occurred to me to do some of the things Amber did - like positioning the "1" where it is. And I wouldn't have known where to get the images or what license I needed and all that.

I admire self-publishers who like doing covers themselves and are good at it, but for the rest of us, it's not all that costly. Premade covers can go for as little as $45.

Marian, lovely cover! Very professional looking. Well done!

Thank you so much! Now comes the editing...

Status
Not open for further replies.