Weird contract tech writing job

Status
Not open for further replies.

BooRadley65

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if this is the proper place for this, but it is related to tech writing.

After a respite from tech writing, I took a contract assignment through an agency in October of 2005.

All I can say is this has been the tech writing job from hell, however maybe this is the way that they all are??

Feedback is appreciated on this, because either I'm going insane, or something odd is going on here.

I was interviewed by four managers, with rapid fire questions, like, "have you ever not gotten along with people you work with, and how did you handle it?"

Suffice it to say, I had this gut feeling that this was not a good contract, however I needed the money.

Well, as soon as I am hired I ask: "Where is the software, so I can start documenting?" since I was told it was only a three month job, and they needed a lot of documentation written.

I was told--only after I was hired remember--"oh, there is no software, yet. We are still developing it."

So, I say, "then what am I to use, in order to write software documentation?" I was handed a huge scope document, and flowcharts and told to create documentation from that.

I thought about leaving then, but I had some bills to pay. Working with sample screen shots, created by a graphic artist, I tried my best to document the software, even though it was being developed at the same time.

I created a lot of documentation, for developers and the managers for whom I was writing, to look at, edit, etc. It sat on a share drive for over two months.

Finally, the developers--about a month ago--create a model office environment of the software, but I'm not allowed to put information in, or see how the process works, in order to keystroke the existing documentation.

All three managers don't get along, so when I ask questions, I get answers like, "why do you need to know that? That doesn't need to be documented." etc., from one of them, then the other will say, "yes it does need to be in there."

At the same time, the manager who wants this documentation tells me I'm doing a great job, then there are meetings held without me--when I need to be involved--and I'm not told anything, until after the meetings.

I've been asked unprofessional questions by this manager such as, "How much are they paying you per hour?" and one day, a conversation arose about deadlines and he basically asked me if I took anti-depressants!!!!??? I thought he was joking. He wasn't.

I said, "Um, I don't think I need to discuss things like that, whether I do or don't."

I've continued to just do my job, but my project manager isn't much of one. I've continued to tell them all that unless I can actually use the software, I'm not going to have accurate documentation.

They don't care.

So, suddenly a QA person is brought on board, and everyone on the team goes out of their way to let me know that there is a meet and greet with the QA person, but I am not invited to that meeting.

However, they all make sure--after the meeting--to walk by my desk and say "Hi Lisa." Nobody bothers to even introduce me to the QA person. I end up doing it myself.

The red carpet is rolled out for her. Quickly, she demands a whole team of QA people, and suddenly she is allowed an environment that allows her to put in information, etc.

Everytime my project manager, the manager/owner of the product (the one who asked me if I was on anti-depressants), and the QA woman get together, they make sure to do it in front of me, when I know I'm going to be needed at some point for the discussion.

What really got to me was when I was looking for jobs on craigslist.org, and I found an exact listing for my current position, down to the deadline dates.

It was really weird. I decided not to say anything to my project manager, but he met with me and, after weeks of saying, "oh, you are doing a great job," he says, "do you think we need to hire another writer?"

How am I supposed to answer that? I said to him, "Well, that really isn't my call, you know?"

He sort of backed off, but I noticed that he and QA woman were having all sorts of meetings after that.

So, I ask, "don't I need to be working with QA?" I was told last week, "oh, no...she's testing the software."

All of a sudden, this week, I'm told, "Oh, you need to send all of your documentation to her, she's going to edit it."

Hmm..interesting.

Then, when I ask for the same testing environment that QA has, I'm told, "gee, sorry. I know you need to test the software, in order to document it, but I don't want to go over QA's head."

All this adds up to be a very frustrating environment. Now, I'm told I have to have all first drafts of documentation finished by April 4th for Beta testing. That means the developer/owner has to edit the documentation, and it has to be keystroked.

I told them that unless they okay overtime, that's not going to happen. They refuse to comment on that.

Honestly, I'm ready to just tell them I found another job and quit, however I've never done that before on a contract job.

The people are game players, etc., and I often feel like I'm on "The Apprentice," and the QA woman is Omorosa. The weirdest conversation was when the owner/manager of the software, after I was attacked in a meeting for no real reason, said to me, "Look, you aren't going to be friends with any of us after this, and we aren't going to hire you fulltime."

????!!!

I said, "Um, I don't believe I've ever said I wanted to be 'friends' with anybody here, nor was I considering a full-time job here."

Okay, am I just going insane and in need of anti-depressants, or is this job just weird, in general, as far as tech writing jobs go?

How should I handle this situation? I'm ready to go, period, with or without another job.

Thanks,
Boo

Fern

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
If you're ready to walk anyway, I believe I'd ask for a meeting with all involved immediately and their superior if they have one. I'd proceed to tell them they've not lived up to their end of the contract since they've not furnished me with the necessary information to properly complete my assignment and therefore they are going to owe the full amount of the contract on the due date.

I would keep a journal, document every conversation. . .date, who said what, etc. Include a copy of the job offer posted on craigslist for what you were hired for.

Always, always, always keep a daily journal when you get involved in these type things. If you decided to check on legal aspects of whats going on you'll have something to fall back on rather than just memory.

My suggestion may not help at all. If you approach it that way, you may not be able to continue working there anyway, so take it with a grain of salt. You are really the only one who knows the full extent of both sides and whether its worth attempting to fix or not.

Life is too short for such a stress level!

Good Word

still crazy after all these years
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.wordmountain.com
To successfully create software documentation, you have to have access to the software (even if it is not ready for prime time), access and cooperation to the developers, be part of the development meetings where features are being discussed, be in some of the QA meetings, have access to bug tracking software so you can enter bug tickets when the software that you are documenting is not working as intended. You also have to have the full suppport of a manager to help you get everything you need to get the job done. You need to be considered and treated as part of the development team. If you don't have most of these things, you can't to a good job.

It sounds like you are not getting the support, so you aren't doing a good job, but they don't make that connection.

If it were me, I would start job hunting immediately, and get out as soon as possible.

Last edited:

ATP

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know much about your line of work, but from what I have read, you do need to be in the loop and early enough, to be able to do your job adequately.When the software is almost ready to go to market, it often appears that tech. writers are brought in, and almost as an afterthought.

This is bad enough, with what might be described as an 'occupational hazard'.

But, you have described what appears to be a dysfunctional organisation,with the decision makers not getting along, and probably doing everything they can to f*** each other, unbeknownst to you.

What Fern has related to you is, unfortunately, the last resort for an individual's defense in what is, as you describe, a hostile environment. eg. the suggestion that the organisation has actually advertised your job again, and the manager's question as to whether the company needs another writer. This is a sure sign in my book (though coming from an obviously poor manager).

Going only on what you have told us, I can only state, in the interests of your own mental health, it is best to get out asap. The choice you have is between the stress and strain of continuing in such a corrosive, poisonous environment vs. that of leaving the organisation and searching for a new job.If you choose the latter,and you have other options, though neither immediate nor immediately apparent,hindsight would likely prove this course a better choice.

ATP

Last edited:

BooRadley65

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all for your help

Yes, after discussing it with my partner, I decided that it's not worth continuing. What scares me is losing that paycheck, without any other real option to go to.

I called my agency, and handled it professionally. I'm giving two weeks notice, and I sent my brief, yet professional resignation letter.

As a writer in a very iffy market right now, I'm just afraid of going without the big paycheck, but there was no way I could continue.

I'm also working for a trade magazine, and I have kept writing for them, throughout the tenure of this tech writing job. I talked to my editor there and he said he could give me some more work, so that is good.

It's just the money issue that's kept me there.

Boo

BooRadley65

Registered
Reaction score
Interesting Post Script

Get this,

So, my project manager actually sends a zip file that contains resumes of potential replacements for my position, and asks me to "help him" hire my replacement!

First of all, I work through an agency, so I am still considered their employee. Add to that, my agency is trying to find my replacement right now. These resumes are coming from a rival agency. I'm not even supposed to be looking at them.

Secondly, that is about the most unprofessional thing I've experienced, thus far. Even better, he wants me to meet with the "Omorosa" QA person, so we can discuss the candidates.

????

I'm tempted to call my agency, but all I want to do is just get out of this place. One of the programmers told me that the QA person is in danger of being fired because she brought a bird to work...

Huh??

I looked at him and said, "She flipped the bird, or did you just say she BROUGHT a bird to work?"

Apparantly, she thought it would make the QA environment more "homelike" if she brought her pet bird into the office...geeze.

Anyway, I just wanted to vent about the latest. I realize that I'm making the best move to get out now.

Boo

Good Word

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.wordmountain.com
Pretty funny.

On the one hand, why not help interview replacements while you are job hunting if it's on their dime?

On the other, if you tell the agency, it will help them see how wacked of an environment it is, but you'd be out of there in a flash. It's too bad your agency couldn't go to bat for you earlier, and help you get the support you needed to do a good job.

*shrug*

Just look for new work really diligently.

Chacounne

Registered
Reaction score
I would call your agency, because when they find out you knew the company was hiring the replacement behind their back, and in fact advised them on the replacement, the agency will view you as disloyal to them.

Just my two cents,
Chac

Good Word

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.wordmountain.com
Or maybe you could convince them to use your agency instead of a replacement.

It really is a wierd situation, isn't it? Someday, you'll be able to laugh about it.

ATP

Registered
Reaction score
I think that some of the others here, and including yourself, don't fully appreciate the gravity of your situation. I don't know how long you have been working, and working in your industry, but you strike me as a little young and inexperienced.

Nevertheless, you are in danger of being set up for a significant fall if you involve yourself in any way with selection of staff from a rival agency. Your later work within the industry per se has now been compromised, do you understand?

You are working for a pack of pricks, and mark my word, if you told your agency what these employers have been doing in relation to CVs, these employers could counter that you have been actively involved with a rival agency. Your agency, whether they believe it or not, will not take kindly to this, and has but to make minor utterances to other agencies in the industry, and your name is sh*t throughout the industry. You will then get NO work from agencies.

You will not be able to prove it was your agency that put you on ice. Unless of course, you have the money and time for a legal suit for slander.And, this might be very difficult to prove, as none of the other firms would likely come forward to admit to being told so.

Am I making it clear for you? I certainly hope that you have been documenting what has been going on, and what they have asked of you.

If you want to save your neck, then girl, get out NOW.
SEVER YOUR INVOLVEMENT WITH THIS FIRM - IMMEDIATELY.

ATP

Good Word

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.wordmountain.com
ATP, I think that people do understand the gravity of the situation. But sometimes people hang in there because they are strapped for cash, and are doing the best with what they've got.

The people that Boo is working for are nuts.

Boo has to get out, but is trying to do so in a way that she still has an income. The best thing to do? Tell the agency she is working for and get out, certainly, but sometimes ideals are hard to meet when you have to pay the bills.

Also edited to add:

Boo, can you do that? Can you lay it on the line with your agency, say you can't take another hour there, that they are having you look at resumes from another agency, and can they please please place you somewhere else right away?

Last edited:

ATP

Registered
Reaction score
I would strongly counsel against the idea that in all cases honesty is the best policy. You might just have it back-fire.

If you do seek to extricate yourself immediately, then you must not allow yourself to be compromised.

You must carefully build your case. You must maintain propriety. I would write down everything that you have relayed to us here, and all and other detail.

Let your minders know everything that these people have been doing to others and the effects on your person, and the others in the workplace.
I would not mention the CV example until the very last. For example, as you are about to leave the office in discussion with the supervisor, you might _casually_ stick your head back in the office, and lightly ask what your minder would suggest in a 'hypothetical' situation. He or she will get the message, and either take the hint, or see the opening to ask if this is what had happened?

Your minders, if they have any sense, and have been in business a while, will know that some managers/clients are jerks. However, your 'employer' is one of your minders' paying customers. Too often in life, the dollars speak louder than sense. And what is 'right' and 'just' does not always prevail.Your minders will or ought to weigh things up very carefully. Do not think that they will necessarily and immediately sympathise with your predicament. Unless the company has had quite a number of contractors experience the same thing with this same client (your employer), then you can not be sure what response you can expect from your agency.

Tread very carefully.

ATP

Last edited:

BooRadley65

Registered
Reaction score
Okay,

First of all, I’m not "young and inexperienced," although I'd accept the young moniker with no problem...ha. I'd been away from the more technical writing for a while, and I wanted to get a more recent tech writing job on my resume. That's one reason I took the job.

Secondly, the agency is only concerned with the client and gives not a rat's patoot about me, other than the fact that they can bill the client at a high rate and pay me much less than they bill. The airhead that is my "handler" at the agency wouldn't understand the implications of any of this, even if I tried to explain it to her. I just thought about doing it to let them know, period, but I'm not sure it's the wisest move. It would be a "he said, she said" scenario. As was discussed, I'm not sure the agency would back me--cheap labor--or the client--BIG bucks.

From what I understand, this is one of the only tech writer positions that this agency ever has. They aren't going to actively market me, because they told me they hardly get tech writing positions.

As far as the company: Knowing my project manager the way that I do, he is often befuddled and doesn't know how to make decisions. I do not feel--and maybe I'm wrong on my intuition here--that there is a sinister plot on his behalf to "do me in" with my agency.

I feel he is a bit ignorant, and very unprofessional, and he has no clue that it's not appropriate to send me resumes from rival agencies. Am I wrong? I don't know.

The only reason I even opened the zip file was because I thought the resumes were coming from my agency. Once I realized that they were not, I promptly emailed and said that I could not get involved in his hiring process, and that I am still considered an employee of the agency.

The other reason I took this job for the MONEY, and I have been trying to bank away as many paychecks as possible, without losing my sanity.

I'd love to be a full-time "artiste," raking it in on my freelancing alone, but that's not paying the bills at the moment. This job paid high, and I kept thinking I could just get through it. I cannot.

I gave two weeks' notice, because it's the professional thing to do, whether the company is professional or not. Trust me. I'm thinking of bailing before next Friday, but I'd like to just work out my two weeks and go.

Of course I am keeping all email correspondence, if needed, but I posted more out of astonishment than anything else. I just wanted to find out if this was the norm for these types of tech writing jobs.

ATP, I so appreciate your words of wisdom, but I do not fear a complete blackballing of my name and/or skills. I've lived through two recessions, and I've had to take jobs that had nothing to do with writing.

If I have to do it again, so be it. I've been working with a trade magazine for almost a year, now, and after next week, I'll be writing more articles for them.

If there really is some plot to discredit me, then I could simply remove that job from my vast resume, I guess.

At the same time, the place is totally nutso. Maybe you are right. I don't know.

I do understand the seriousness of this issue. What you sense as "inexperience," is the fact that I've NEVER dealt with such a dysfunctional organization, period. As well, my tech writing experience--previously--consisted of me writing policies and procedures, or writing documentation for off-the-shelf products already in existence.

This is the first time I've had to deal with developers repeatedly, etc., so I did not know what to expect, or how to proceed, other than interviewing them concerning their part of the project.

I am a writer. I am not trying out for "The Apprentice," by working this job, so, no; I don't sit and try to figure out what games are being played, who is playing them, and how I need to react, so I can WIN WIN WIN!

I'm just trying to get out as professionally as possible and move on. That may or may not be possible.

I'll keep you posted, and if they use the resume thing against me, I'll be the first one back here to let you know you were right.

Again, thank you all for the feedback. I will keep you posted on the outcome. My last day is supposed to be next Friday.

Boo

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Boo,

This is where your job description comes in handy. You were hired as a tech writer. Tell them that, and then tell them that looking at resumes and training your replacement isn't in your job description.

In addition, as someone who has worked temp before, I know that if there's a change in what you're asked to do, you should tell your agency. You might, as part of the package tell the company that you'll be telling your agency that you were asked to do something you weren't hired for.

Tell the agency matter-of-factly that you were hired to do tech writing, and that now you're being asked to do human resources work. They may respond to the company with an increased bill because you're doing something not in the contract, or they may take other action.
This is one of the cases where working for an agency is a distinct advantage, really, because when you were sent out on your placement, you were given a specific job description, and the firm you're doing the contract for agreed to that specific job description.

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
Contracting is my industry. I was an agency branch manager and the global ops mgr of a large high tech company's onsite contractor staffing program. I am now a program manger of that same company's IT contracting program - and I deal with hundreds of contracting companies in that role. I'm pretty well versed in the industry and it's quirks.

I can say with confidence that Boo isn't in any sort of perilous situation. Perhaps ATP, where you are, things are different but in the US I have never heard of a situation where a contractor is put in an awkward place by a client company and the entire contracting world shunned them. His agency doesn't sound like it specializes in technical staffing and just got this listing by luck. And when I was in staffing if my contractor told me what Boo is saying, I wouldn't do business with that company again. I've actually done that when my employees were mistreated. It's worth a little lost income to not be sued because I didn't keep my employees protected from a hostile work environment like the law obligates me to do.

If I can help in any way, please PM me. I'm sorry I didn't get to this thread sooner.

ATP

Registered
Reaction score
Good to get a second, industry insider point of view.

Yep, despite having some semblance of legal obligations and protections, the nature of business in my part of the world doesn't run like things do in generally legally transparent countries like the US. Here, you must always watch your back.

ATP

Status
Not open for further replies.