• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

SkyAzure Publishing

J.B.Kantt

Debut Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jbkantt.blogspot.com
Does anyone have any information about this publisher?

It's a pretty new one--according to their FAQ page, they officially launched in 2014.

Here is the link to their website: http://skyazure.co.uk/

I recently saw a representative from this publisher (at least, I think it was a representative...their username was SkyAzurePublishing) post on a different AW thread, so I decided to look them up.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
All genres, lackluster covers, limited distribution. Catalog lists multiple books as "Available from All Major Distributors and Retailers" but I could find only one of their books on Amazon and only as a paperback and with no sales rank.

Last edited:

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
All genres, lackluster covers, limited distribution. Catalog lists multiple books as "Available from All Major Distributors and Retailers" but I could find only one of their books on Amazon and only as a paperback and with no sales rank.

Not all genres - their submissions page says no SF/F or military/espionage.

Agree about the unimpressive covers

SkyAzurePublishing

Editor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.skyazure.co.uk
Hi there!

This is indeed us.

We'd like to leave a few comments on this thread but first of all we'd like to say that the OP has done the right thing here. We'd be the first to recommend checking out anyone in this business using the fantastic resource that is the AW user base.

We're a start-up, yes. We feel that scepticism towards any business start-up is warranted by its novelty however cynicism is perhaps unfair. We've factored the reality of this field of business into our plans and are prepared to take hits in the hope that we sell enough copies of enough books to make a profit in the long term.

To begin with, we have published local interest material however we're now expanding. Points highlighted about distribution are being addressed. The title mentioned IS available electronically elsewhere other than Amazon, who we are currently in discussions with.

Regarding covers, this is perhaps a cultural thing. We prefer a more minimalist and occasionally abstract look. Many genre fiction covers these days are impressive granted but also formulaic. We've seen evidence of formulaic covers actually putting buyers off. We also tend to favour more character-driven fiction modes where the expectations of popular fiction aren't necessarily the case. In any event we've recently hired a new in-house designer and have established ties with bespoke artists for commissioning of future cover designs as well - we don't mind paying bespoke prices if the cover concept fits the content concept, if you see what we mean.

Yes we're new. We're growing.

Yes our designs are occasionally minimalist. It fits with our market, however we're also growing in this way too.

We hope this helps!

downtherabbithole

Registered
Reaction score
Although I don't know anything about your particular outfit or the quality of the services SkyAzure performs, let me just say that those covers are terrible. Someone with GIMP, or even Canva, and a subscription to Shutterstock can make something better than that. And I live in the UK as well and although the covers may be more simple here (SOMETIMES), they don't look like that. Honestly, I would suggest investing in a freelance graphic designer or learning Photoshop.

you can also use Trigger for some great stock photography.

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I am not sure what the cultural difference would be in this case as the people in this thread are from all over the world. I am a Kiwi. I doubt my reservations about the choices regards typeface and saturation are particularly Kiwi in nature. But I suppose a press will naturally stand behind the packaging they designed. I am still curious about my inability to find most of the books in distribution.

Last edited:

SkyAzurePublishing

Editor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.skyazure.co.uk
Fair points. Note our comment on having brought someone in and built relationships externally as well.

Of the material listed, some is local interest direct small run. Some is WIP in that category. Other material is WIP for wider release, close to completion. We had hoped to have more titles on offer by the end of Q3 2014 but the author / editor & publisher working relationship can be at times - how shall we say - "complex" : a rewarding experience which can be full of surprises. We're now looking to have more out by end of Q4 2014 and again more in Q1 2015.

Gives us time to work on those covers though huh.

Certain distributors have ways of making matters slightly more complex as well, but again this is ultimately rewarding. We're in this for the right reasons and we're heading in what we feel is the right direction.

The cultural thing is just our opinion. Apologies for any offence caused.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
In Apr '15, announced non-fiction imprint, Sarn Press. In May, two new authors scheduled for '15/'16 release. Only activity since has been to wipe site of books (c. Aug.).