What would an American/Canadian notice moving to Australia?

Iron Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
I edited this in light of moderator comments! :)

I saw the thread http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=294413 about a Brit moving to America, and realized this was a great idea for myself. My current novel idea has a Canadian moving to Australia.

I've never been to Australia (and am Canadian) but figure Americans would remark on many of the same things a Canadian would.

The MC is a Canadian teen who has moved to the Gold Coast with his whole family from Vancouver. He does not watch TV. The novel is set in the mid 2000's, though other than cell phones/ internet I'm not too worried about that part. He is a sports player (rugby) and from what I understand almost no sports are actually organized by the schools?

While one can comment on:
* high school sports organization
* high school structure
* educational curricula?
* food
* social culture
* shared experiences
* length of daylight/night
* seasons (or lack thereof)
* travel/cars/public transport
* healthcare
* language (and spelling)
* time differences
* house construction
* informal etiquette

What I'm sort of wanting to focus on is what kind of things a teenager from their perspective, would note.

1.) He plays Rugby. How is rugby culture different in Australia than Canada? I know it's generally a lot more prevalent, but don't know how much more.

In Canada, we have two cities, Victoria and Vancouver, contribute 3/4 of the players to our National Rugby team. When Canada sends its team to the international rugby competitions, it might as well be called the British Columbian Rugby Team.

2.) He goes to a restaurant. I know Australians have higher minimum wage so he doesn't have to tip. I know there are McDonalds, but are there mom and pop burger joints? What kind of restaurants are popular?

3.) He goes to school. What gets taught in year 12? (not grade 12, correct?) What kind of subjects are typical for a public high school to offer? I've tried looking online for government syllabi, but must be typing in the wrong words into search engines.

4.) So if there's no sports in high school, how do the "cool" kids get appointed? How does one build social capital in high school in Australia?

Growing up for me, it was zero, play rugby, one - having a car, two, throwing parties with lots of free booze and marijuana, and three, being nice to people and not a dick.

5.) He goes to a shopping mall. What would he notice as different than a mall in Vancouver?

6.) He turns on the radio - to a pop music station, what would be different?

7.) He tries hosting a party while his parents are gone. What cultural faux pax is he going to unwittingly commit?

8.) He goes to a friend's house. What will be different (anything really) about the inside of an Australian's house than the inside of a Canadian's house? What "typical" Australian meal will they feed him that he wouldn't eat in Canada? Mutton perhaps? It's ridiculously expensive in BC.

9.) He asks a girl out. Anything I should know about how Australian teen dating culture is different than Canadian teen dating culture?

Random stuff I know:

1.) Sports are organized differently by state and at that, differently than in Canada, where a good chunk of sports are organized by the schools and not private leagues.

2.) I'm not sure if Australians eat Ketchup or Tomato Sauce.

3.) Australians go to a Chemist, not a Pharmacist.

4.) Vegemite tastes bad and BBQ or "the barbie" is a Big Deal.

5.) Don't say "rooted around" when "searched or gardened" will do.

6.) Australians like to root for the underdog.

7.) Gun laws are crazy tough compared to Canada.

8.) Imports cost more in Australia vs Canada due to shipping and price gouging.

9.) American cars far less common.

Also - I said Canadian/American, because chances are lots more Americans here who've been to Australia than Canadians.

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As an Aussie, I'd have to point out that there are very big cultural difference that I tend to notice between Americans and Canadians. I'm not sure if that's relevant to you, but generally I think the Canadians I've met have been much less startling than Americans. (Which is neither a good thing nor a bad thing - I'm just saying I can pick some differences culturally)

ETA: I forgot to make my point, which was that Canadians and Americans might notice different things. Americans might find us a little more startling than Canadians do.

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You might read Down Under by Bill Bryson. It's a bit of a goofy take on visiting Australia. It would probably give you some ideas.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
As an Aussie, I'd have to point out that there are very big cultural difference that I tend to notice between Americans and Canadians. I'm not sure if that's relevant to you, but generally I think the Canadians I've met have been much less startling than Americans. (Which is neither a good thing nor a bad thing - I'm just saying I can pick some differences culturally)

ETA: I forgot to make my point, which was that Canadians and Americans might notice different things. Americans might find us a little more startling than Canadians do.

Startlingly relaxed, or what? I am surprised by your use of the word "startling". Or is it that Canadians are generally more phlegmatic, so they don't seem to be startled by anything?

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
Careful folks, let's not try to analyse and interpret each others' posts.

Canada and Australia, as I understand it, are both more anglicized than America so there may be more cultural similarities than differences if you do the Canada/Australia transition than US/Australia.

LA*78

Registered
Reaction score
I edited this in light of moderator comments! :)

I saw the thread http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=294413 about a Brit moving to America, and realized this was a great idea for myself. My current novel idea has a Canadian moving to Australia.

I've never been to Australia (and am Canadian) but figure Americans would remark on many of the same things a Canadian would.

The MC is a Canadian teen who has moved to the Gold Coast with his whole family from Vancouver. He does not watch TV. The novel is set in the mid 2000's, though other than cell phones/ internet I'm not too worried about that part. He is a sports player (rugby) and from what I understand almost no sports are actually organized by the schools? Sports are very big in Qld schools. It depends on the size of the school and locality, but generally there is either weekly interschool sports days between schools in a designated zone, or gala days are organised where various schools travel to a location. The big difference is that it is done during school time and doesn't carry the fanbase that US school sports do. Rugby Union is more a private school sport. Rugby League, soccer and AFL are more prevalent in State schools (but again depends on the school etc. I'm fairly certain surfing is offered as a subject in many schools on the GC.

While one can comment on:
* high school sports organization
* high school structure Most schools have websites so you can probably get a better idea by googling GC schools for this and curricula info.
* educational curricula?
* food We eat it with our mouth same as they do in the Northern Hemisphere ;)
* social culture
* shared experiences
* length of daylight/night
* seasons (or lack thereof)
* travel/cars/public transport In mid-2000 I think buses were about the only public transport option on the GC. They do have a train that runs to Brisbane.
* healthcare
* language (and spelling) Spelling is pretty much the same as Canada I think.
* time differences
* house construction Varies depending on where on the GC you are setting your story. It's a very widespread city.
* informal etiquette

What I'm sort of wanting to focus on is what kind of things a teenager from their perspective, would note.

1.) He plays Rugby. How is rugby culture different in Australia than Canada? I know it's generally a lot more prevalent, but don't know how much more.

In Canada, we have two cities, Victoria and Vancouver, contribute 3/4 of the players to our National Rugby team. When Canada sends its team to the international rugby competitions, it might as well be called the British Columbian Rugby Team.

2.) He goes to a restaurant. I know Australians have higher minimum wage so he doesn't have to tip. I know there are McDonalds, but are there mom and pop burger joints? What kind of restaurants are popular? Burger joints on the GC would most likely be fish & chip shops. They are often run by people of Asian decent - Chinese, Vietnamese etc. I don't know why that is. I don't think we really have diners like I see described in US novels, but we have lots of cafes etc for more casual dining.

3.) He goes to school. What gets taught in year 12? (not grade 12, correct?) What kind of subjects are typical for a public high school to offer? I've tried looking online for government syllabi, but must be typing in the wrong words into search engines. Year 12 is correct, though the terms are interchangeable and some people will say Gr. 12. Core subjects are English and a Maths subject. It's been a long time since I was in highschool, but you used to choose 6 subjects (including the 2 core subjects) - again google some actual school websites to see what types of subjects they offer. Different schools offer different things depending on their size, locality etc.

4.) So if there's no sports in high school, how do the "cool" kids get appointed? How does one build social capital in high school in Australia? There is sport in school, but personality generally plays a big role in who is cool and who isn't.

Growing up for me, it was zero, play rugby, one - having a car, two, throwing parties with lots of free booze and marijuana, and three, being nice to people and not a dick.

5.) He goes to a shopping mall. What would he notice as different than a mall in Vancouver? It would be a shopping centre, or just 'the shops'. Brisbane has a 'mall' but I don't think the GC does.

6.) He turns on the radio - to a pop music station, what would be different? Hot Tomato, or SeaFM are a couple. You could try searching on IHeartRadio to see if you can find one that matches your needs.

7.) He tries hosting a party while his parents are gone. What cultural faux pax is he going to unwittingly commit?

8.) He goes to a friend's house. What will be different (anything really) about the inside of an Australian's house than the inside of a Canadian's house? What "typical" Australian meal will they feed him that he wouldn't eat in Canada? Mutton perhaps? It's ridiculously expensive in BC. I don't think it would be mutton - we tend to eat them younger. Maybe lamb chops? We have them about once a week.

Random stuff I know:

1.) Sports are organized differently by state and at that, differently than in Canada, where a good chunk of sports are organized by the schools and not private leagues.

2.) I'm not sure if Australians eat Ketchup or Tomato Sauce. Tomato sauce, or BBQ sauce, or Chilli sauce etc. You can buy Ketchup at supermarkets. I think it's a bit thicker than sauce.

3.) Australians go to a Chemist, not a Pharmacist. Chemist/pharmacy are interchangeable terms for the shop. Pharmacist is the person who dispenses medications.

4.) Vegemite tastes bad No it doesn't. You probably just didn't spread it right.and BBQ or "the barbie" is a Big Deal. No it's not. It's just how we cook in Summer ;)

5.) Don't say "rooted around" when "searched or gardened" will do. If you root around it means you're getting a lot of sex with lots of different people. It can also mean stuffing around - as in not doing what you're meant to be doing. Basically it's interchangeable with 'fuck around'. Context matters when speaking Australian.

6.) Australians like to root for the underdog. We cheer or barrack for the underdog. See above for why we don't 'root' for them.

7.) Gun laws are crazy tough compared to Canada. Probably. Can't say I've seen a gun since way back when the gun laws came in. Even then I only saw the one my Dad bought when he was a kid that he kept wrapped in an old singlet in the back of his wardrobe...

8.) Imports cost more in Australia vs Canada due to shipping and price gouging. Don't know about price gouging? Mainly shipping and postage costs.

9.) American cars far less common. There is major rivalry between Ford and Holden. Most Australians will be in one camp or the other (or will just not care at all). Other common car brands are Toyota, Mitsubishi, Hyundai, Honda etc (not getting into more luxury brands).

Also - I said Canadian/American, because chances are lots more Americans here who've been to Australia than Canadians.

I'm not really sure where to start with an answer because it seems like you are wanting a heck of a lot of research done for you. But as an Aussie I've tried to answer some of your questions and fixed up a few of your misled preconceptions ;)

Last edited:

Iron Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not really sure where to start with an answer because it seems like you are wanting a heck of a lot of research done for you. But as an Aussie I've tried to answer some of your questions and fixed up a few of your misled preconceptions ;)

Very helpful and thank you. :) Even just being told things like "look up the local HS website" - my mind just exploded with the obviousness of that.

LA*78

Registered
Reaction score
Very helpful and thank you. :) Even just being told things like "look up the local HS website" - my mind just exploded with the obviousness of that.

LOL No worries. I'm trying to do the same in reverse - working out what would be major differences for an Aussie school girl having to go to the US. Another thing I've been trying to do to find research is google for blogs and articles from exchange students. I haven't found many aussie to US ones yet, but I've found ones from other countries going to the US which gives me ideas of what they found different. I've been finding stuff on school pages on Facebook also. Reading things students comment on etc has been helping me get an idea of how they speak, what's important to them etc.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I moved here from America as an adult.

Meat pies are more popular here than Burgers; burgers have slices of beetroot on them. Macca's (McDonald's) is here, but the mom and pop shops are better. Also, flavoured milk is popular with pies or fish and chips; chocolate, strawberry, malt, banana, etc.

There are two rugby codes: union (the one most of the world plays), and league (the one they play in parts of England, Australia, and New Zealand). On the Gold Coast, most kids would play league; union is more of a city/private school sport, in general. Of course, there's also Aussie Rules; it's THE sport in Melbourne and Adelaide down south, and Perth out west (and the states where those cities are). In Sydney and Brisbane, league is the popular sport, but union is also very strong.

re: cars -- Holden is the Australian General Motors marque. The flagship sedan models are the Holden Commodore and Ford Falcon (V* if you can). Also, note utes are an Aussie icon. Utes (short for 'utility vehicles') are part car, part flatbed. Think of the old Ford El Camino, and you've got the idea. Ford and Holden both make utes.

Vegemite may taste bad to most, but fair dinkum, Australians swear by it. Many insist on it (my son is one). But you canNOT spread it like peanut butter. It has to be very thin.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
As a Brit with an Australian bff, I can tell you that I get tripped up most by the seasons being opposite.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Vegemite is startlingly wonderful :)

(King Neptune - I'm not sure what I meant by it. It was pre-coffee and in no way intended to cause trouble. I love my American friends as much as my sole Canadian friend.)

ETA: I'd have more Canadian friends, but Canadians are harder to find.

ETA2: Now you've got me second-guessing everything. I didn't mean Canadians wear camouflage or are vanishingly small or anything. I just meant they're quiet.

ETA3: And I didn't mean anything by that either. And Canada - sorry for the synecdoche. Which I've just realised might have been racism. Inverse, but still. :cry:

ETA4: I'm never posting pre-coffee again.

Last edited:

LA*78

Registered
Reaction score
On the weather subject...

SE Qld has quite mild winters. It gets cold at night and early morning, but during the day if the sun is out it's still quite warm. My kids wore jumpers at school for maybe 2 weeks this year. Though if you're close to the water it can get cool in the evening no matter what time of year it is, especially if the wind picks up. You can get quite a lot of weather info, including sunrise/set times etc from http://www.weatherzone.com.au/qld/southeast-coast/coolangatta

The 'feels like' temp is an important one to look at, especially in summer. While it might only be 35deg, humidity can make it feel much hotter.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, yeah - if you go to see the GP (local doctor), the cost of a visit is bulk-billed. So you pay nothing, unless you get prescriptions. (This is set to change with the current government, but it's something an American moving here will LOVE.)

(a born Aussie should verify what follows)

Up until ~1989 or so, university was free. Then they introduced HECS (Higher Education Contribution Scheme?), which means that students pay their college fees, but only after they graduate and are employed, earning above a certain amount. At that point, the government deducts something from their pay so the debt is cleared over time. Better if it were still free, but still way ahead of the US.

Also, high school seniors have to take the HSC exams (High school certificate) - a national system, spanning all sorts of subjects. Their HSC scores determine what university - and what program - they get into. They nominate their top three universities, and they're assigned based on ranking.

Majors are determined by demand, based on HSC rank. So, you likely need to be in, say, the top 0.5% to go into Dentistry, top 2% for Law, etc. The lowest qualifying score, I think, is for Arts.

So teenagers might have these things in the back of their minds. Having said that, going to uni isn't automatic; plenty don't go, because it's not an assumed prerequisite for everything the way it is in the States.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com

There are forums and other sites that provide info for N Americans moving to Australia. The info ranges from facts to experiences to opinions. There are also plenty of sites with tourist info, because the GC is a top destination. (Apparently. Not my cup of tea.)

The MC is a Canadian teen who has moved to the Gold Coast with his whole family from Vancouver. He does not watch TV. The novel is set in the mid 2000's, though other than cell phones/ internet I'm not too worried about that part.

Australians are early adopters of technology, but the coverage for mobile phones and access to decent internet wasn't brilliant outside the cities in the mid-2000s. It still isn't. The Gold Coast was probably fine at that time though.

Other comments -- cricket in summer, rugby and footy in winter. And surfing. Don't forget surfing.

I'd suggest doing a walk through on Google Street View to see what you notice as being unusual. That won't cover the social and cultural aspects, but it'll give you some ideas of the place. A lot of the Gold Coast is planned, developed to with an inch of its life for a certain lifestyle. But there are some unintended consequences. The canals, which were dug to give water views and boating opps, provide watery highways for bull sharks.

The landscape will be different, including the trees -- palms, pandanus, she oaks, Norfolk Island pines along the beach and poincianas, jacarandas, more bloody palms and the odd gum in residential areas etc.

He might have to get used to a small amount of rhyming slang. Dead horse = (tomato) sauce. Joe Blake = snake. And so on.

Last edited:

LA*78

Registered
Reaction score
Some more comments :)

Oh, yeah - if you go to see the GP (local doctor), the cost of a visit is bulk-billed. So you pay nothing, unless you get prescriptions. (This is set to change with the current government, but it's something an American moving here will LOVE.) Not all Drs bulk-bill. Many will only offer that to people with a Healthcare card (generally lower income, pensioners etc) and for children under 16. It generally costs me about $65 to visit a GP, then if I make a claim with Medicare I might get about $20 back. I'm not sure Medicare is automatically available to people from overseas? Also, you do end up paying for it in your tax with the Medicare levy.

(a born Aussie should verify what follows)

Up until ~1989 or so, university was free. Then they introduced HECS (Higher Education Contribution Scheme?), which means that students pay their college fees, but only after they graduate and are employed, earning above a certain amount. At that point, the government deducts something from their pay so the debt is cleared over time. Better if it were still free, but still way ahead of the US. You can choose to take out a HECS loan (payed back through garnished wages or when you do your tax return), or you can pay upfront at a discounted rate. I did my first uni degree in the mid-90's and it was MUCH cheaper than it is now, so I suspect we are heading the way of US college costs.

Also, high school seniors have to take the HSC exams (High school certificate) - a national system, spanning all sorts of subjects. Their HSC scores determine what university - and what program - they get into. They nominate their top three universities, and they're assigned based on ranking. Actually each State has their own system, it's not national. In QLD you sit the QCS (Qld Core Skills test), then they do some mumbo jumbo with the best 5 results out of the 6 subjects you studied and calculate your OP (overall position) which is then used to determine if you qualify for whichever Uni course you want to do. Add into that Field Positions which is weighting of different subjects that may be required for different uni courses, as well as prerequisite subjects that some courses require. I think the biggest difference from what I understand of US college is that in Australia you decide what you are going to study before you apply for Uni, then study a degree in that specific field.

Majors are determined by demand, based on HSC rank. So, you likely need to be in, say, the top 0.5% to go into Dentistry, top 2% for Law, etc. The lowest qualifying score, I think, is for Arts.

So teenagers might have these things in the back of their minds. Having said that, going to uni isn't automatic; plenty don't go, because it's not an assumed prerequisite for everything the way it is in the States.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Flies. We have flies in Summer. Lots of flies. I don't think anywhere in the world has flies quite like we do. That's true isn't it, Helix?

LA*78

Registered
Reaction score
If you buy maple syrup in the supermarket here, you get maple-flavoured syrup. It doesn't taste as nice as the real thing. I think you can get real maple syrup here, but it costs a fortune.

In addition to normal flies, on the GC you'll probably be hit with sandflies or midgies too.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Flies. We have flies in Summer. Lots of flies. I don't think anywhere in the world has flies quite like we do. That's true isn't it, Helix?

It certainly feels like it.

Signed, Helix, who lives in a surprisingly blowie-, mozzie- and sandfly-free area and who is grateful for it.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
If you buy maple syrup in the supermarket here, you get maple-flavoured syrup. It doesn't taste as nice as the real thing. I think you can get real maple syrup here, but it costs a fortune.

Oh, goodness, yes!

In addition to normal flies, on the GC you'll probably be hit with sandflies or midgies too.

Mind you, depending on what part of Canada the MC's from, they might be used to midges.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Also - we have coffee. America doesn't. (Sorry, America - Starbucks isn't coffee. either.)

But the biggest difference - you, America, have The Most Amazing bookshops and second hand bookshops and your books are so insanely cheap that when I go back I'm taking an empty suitcase with me.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
From what I have been told, just about every insect, reptile, and critter in Australia will try to kill you...

These are all going to be very different from Canada...

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
From what I have been told, just about every insect, reptile, and critter in Australia will try to kill you...

Actually - that is perfectly true. And, yes - very different from Canada.

To make it trickier, we're about as keen on guns as Canadians are. Which is to say - not very. So you have to work your way out of some difficult situations without heavy weapons.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score

And this is probably why Australia wants it's new Australians in good shape. The only thing I know about moving to Australia, (courtesy of a guy at work who emigrated 10 years ago) is that you have to take and pass a physical exam, among the other requirements. I don't know if this is still the same, why your character's family is moving (or for how long, etc) and if dependents have to be tested, too, but I'll bet for a North American kid, the thought of not being automatically approved could be upsetting, at least in the short term. (Guy-at-work was kind of freaking out.)