AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Publishers for new authors?

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Publishers for new authors?

Could anyone recommend small, reputable publishing companies who are interested in first-time authors? Help appreciated.

Preditors & Editors Requiescat In Pace DaveKuzminski's Avatar
    They all are provided you have a book in whatever marketing niche they operate and it's well written.

Gone
    Why limit yourself to small ones? Big ones take first-time authors, and many of them are open to unagented submissions.

Here's a tip: Any place that stresses that it's open to first-time authors is probably a scam. All a reputable publisher cares about is the quality of your manuscript. Reputable publishers publish first-timers all the time. Anyone who tells you differently is probably trying to sell you something.

Search for good publishers who put out books like the one you've written, and forget about being a first-time author. That fact will only matter to a scammer.
    Winner of Uncle Jim's Whoo Hoo Super Writer Award and Nomad's Most Use of Vowels in a Screen Name Award as well as Maryn's Only Person on AW Whose Name Anagrams to "I, Octane," "Act I (One)" and "Nice tao" Award in addition to batgirl's Culpeper Award for Botanically Erudite Screen Name plus awatkins' AW's Most Creative Srounger [sic] of Rep Points Award not to mention azbikergirl's Arizona Most Awarded Writer Award and also Dawno's Most Interesting Signature Line Award

I heart Malamutes! :-) JerseyGirl1962's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oracle
    Could anyone recommend small, reputable publishing companies who are interested in first-time authors? Help appreciated.
    Oracle,

Have you checked the Index to Agents, Publishers, & Others thread? It's right near the top of this forum.

And, what Dave said.

~Nancy
    Screw the new blog, I've resurrected my old blog: Writerly Stuff.

I twit, therefore I am?

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. ~Thomas Edison

It took me fifteen years to discover that I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up because by that time I was too famous. ~Robert Benchley

practical experience, FTW Toni1953's Avatar
    Maybe what Oracle means is publishing houses open to UNAGENTED, first time authors, as most of the large ones require agented submissions?

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    1) Obtain either Writers' Market or Jeff Herman's Guide. (Needn't be the latest edition, but shouldn't be more than three years old.)

2) Compile list of publishers which accept work like yours.

2a) Scratch out those that don't accept unagented submissions.

3) Cross-reference the remaining with P&E, Writer Beware, and AW.

3a) Scratch out any that are obviously suspect.

5) Confirm that the remaining publishers have books ON SHELVES in bookstores and/or libraries.

6) Begin the query process.
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: