At what point would a pregnant woman stop horseback riding?

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As the title says. I'm not just concerned about possible medical issues -- I'm also wondering about discomfort issues.

The protagonist is female, pregnant, and a knowledgeable horse owner and rider, so I'm wondering when she might say enough.

Me, I'm pretty sure I know which end of a horse is the front.

Last edited:

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
As the title says. I'm not just concerned about possible medical issues -- I'm also wondering about discomfort issues.

The protagonist is female, pregnant, and a knowledgeable horse owner and rider, so I'm wondering when she might say enough.

When she feels like it? How could there be an answer to when a women would not feel like doing something? It'll be totally individual from X months to not at all.

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
Hi , not sure I understand your post , but the basic answer can only be ,when she wants to .

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Personally? No problem up to about five months or so. After six I started getting a big ol' penguin waddle going on :D So it got a bit uncomfortable with the bump.

ETA Although the whole "need to pee every two minutes" in the first few months was a drag!

Anna Spargo-Ryan

Just pokin' about
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.annaspargoryan.com
Women used to ride horseback to bring on abortion, didn't they? I think something to do with the jostling motion can cause placental abruption. Not sure how likely it is, but it would be a theoretical risk from as soon as there was a placenta, I guess!

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score

I stopped riding when it became too difficult to get my fat ass into the saddle -about 8 months or so.

Although I feel the need to point out that I didn't know I was pregnant until I was about 5 months (didn't skip periods, didn't gain weight, no other signs etc, and incidently Ihad been out eventing two days before I found out and had fallen off. I had also been giving a trampolining lesson on the day I found out, but that is by the by)

For the record, I owned (still do) a bit of a tempermental TB who didn;t like to stand still. I stopped jumping and doing cross-country, but i kept riding.

In truth I was more uncomfortable AFTER the baby - it was months before I was back in the saddle.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I'm very tempted to say "during labor."

However, I would imagine it depends on several factors including, age, health, time period, occupation, location, etc. If she's a modern NYC trust fund baby, who only rides on weekends for fun, she'd likely stop long before someone in rural Arizona who lives and works on a ranch.

Larry M

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
This is a story of a pregnant woman that took one too many horseback rides.

In Scotland in 1316, an 18 (or possibly 19) -year-old pregnant woman named Marjorie Bruce went riding by herself. Somewhere along the road, something spooked the horse and Marjorie was thrown to the ground, suffering fatal injuries. As she lay dying, a passerby came to her aid and delivered her baby - a boy she named Robert, just before she died.

That woman was the daughter of Robert the Bruce, King of Scotland. Her only child became Robert II Stewart, and became King in 1371. Had Robert died along with his mother, the course of Scottish and English history would have been quite different - all because a pregnant woman decided to go horseback riding.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Women used to ride horseback to bring on abortion, didn't they?

They almost certainly failed, unless the pregnancy would have ended in miscarriage anyway.

The only problem (as noted above) is if you take a tumble.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score

In Scotland in 1316, an 18 (or possibly 19) -year-old pregnant woman named Marjorie Bruce went riding by herself. Somewhere along the road, something spooked the horse and Marjorie was thrown to the ground, suffering fatal injuries. As she lay dying, a passerby came to her aid and delivered her baby - a boy she named Robert, just before she died.

That woman was the daughter of Robert the Bruce, King of Scotland. Her only child became Robert II Stewart, and became King in 1371. Had Robert died along with his mother, the course of Scottish and English history would have been quite different - all because a pregnant woman decided to go horseback riding.

I don't know how you meant this, but it reads uhm, badly.

If the same woman had dared to decide to go outside and ride a horse before that and been thrown, perhaps she wouldn't have become pregnant at all.

What if Robert Stewart had gone horseback riding, been thrown, and been fatally injured? The course of history would've been quite different, all because a man decided to go horseback riding.

I mean what's your point? Women should spend nine months in a cotton-wool sling, never leaving the house, because they lose the right to their own agency once pregnant? What if the house falls down?

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
Careful folks. This is story research, not P&CE. Let's focus on answering the OP's question.

Larry, I haven't heard that tale before - do you have a source?

Larry M

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I mean what's your point?

My point is clearly stated in the first line of my post (in response to the OP's question: "At what point would a pregnant woman stop horseback riding?"

Your 'what if's…' are pointless. My post presents a simple story of one woman that should not have gone riding.

Larry, I haven't heard that tale before - do you have a source?

Three sources that tell the story (there are others; print sources are given in some):

Cairn with plaque to Marjory Bruce (source indicates Robert was born posthumously; other sources state she was alive when she gave birth).

Marjorie Bruce, Princess of Scotland

The Stewart Society - History of the Stewarts

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks all. The obvious answer is "when she feels like it," but that begs the question of when she might feel like it. At least now I have a reasonable range to work within. It'll also have to be modified by how much she pays attention to her BF, whose head is about to explode.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
My point is clearly stated in the first line of my post (in response to the OP's question: "At what point would a pregnant woman stop horseback riding?"

First, his question was about personal comfort. Second, I don't understand what your answer would be, or why it'd be that.
Your 'what if's…' are pointless. My post presents a simple story of one woman that should not have gone riding.

She shouldn't have gone riding because she was thrown? That's like 'you shouldn't have left the house because you were mauled by that escaped lion.'

Larry M

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
First, his question was about personal comfort. Second, I don't understand what your answer would be, or why it'd be that.

She shouldn't have gone riding because she was thrown? That's like 'you shouldn't have left the house because you were mauled by that escaped lion.'

So you are bound and determined to attack me and my post instead of responding to the OP's question.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
So you are bound and determined to attack me and my post instead of responding to the OP's question.

I haven't attacked anything, but if you feel attacked, use the triangle to report a post.

I did respond to the OP's question. I don't think you did.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I was a midwifery student for a time and I would say that it depends. Some women experience quite a bit of crampy discomfort at the beginning which can make you feel pretty paranoid on top of the discomfort.

If we're just talking about gentle walking while on horseback, then there might not be any reason to stop at all except that after about seven months or so getting on a horse might not be worth all the sweating and cursing.

Some women experience terrible pelvic pain. (A woman's pelvis isn't fused in the front, but held together with a ligament.) Straddling a horse, even as early as twelve weeks or so might be terribly uncomfortable for some women.

If you can tell em when you need her to decline a horseback ride, I can give you some possible excuses.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
She might well stop when her pregnancy reaches that inevitable stage where the public believes she is under their general guidance. If they don't approve, they will shake their no-no fingers at her and lecture her and perhaps even pull her off the horse. She will likely give in because who wants to be pointed out as a bad mother-to-be.

Last edited:

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
My wife was 8+ months pregnant with my step daughter when her horse reared and went over backwards. She was unable to put enough of her weight far enough forward to force it back down, due to her large tummy. Fortunately, the horse fell NEXT to her instead of ON TOP of her. No harm to her or DSD. She didn't even spill her husband's beer she was holding.

So, yeah, when she feels like it.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If your question includes personal limits, I probably wouldn't do it at all. If she's an experienced rider, perhaps she'd limit her riding to horses she knows and trusts. Along with the other factors, pregnant women vary widely in how careful or adventurous they are with it. So it could show a lot about her personality, as well as her relationship with her husband. He doesn't like it? So, she sneaks, tells him he's not included in the decision, honors his feelings on it, or what? Sorry, probably getting far away from your question...

Last edited:

shaldna

Registered
Reaction score
- all because a pregnant woman decided to go horseback riding.

You probably didn't mean it in this way, but this comes across as pretty judgy.

I mean what's your point? Women should spend nine months in a cotton-wool sling, never leaving the house, because they lose the right to their own agency once pregnant? What if the house falls down?

As I've talked about in other threads here, I was 5 months pregnant before I knew, and so I was doing a lot of things that pregnant mothers are generally advised not to. My kid is fine. In fact she's better than fine. We tend to panic and wrap expectant mothers up in cotton wool, all the while forgetting that this is what their bodies are designed to do. What nature intended. Pregnant or not, women are tough and fierce and pregnancy only escalates that.

I was thrown at 5 months. Quite badly. I was eventing and came off during the cross country phase when we landed badly after a tiger trap.

When I found out I was pregnant I stopped jumping, but I kept riding. Pretty much everyone I know who is horsey did the same thing. We all kept riding. Admittedly there were certain horses I didn't ride during that time because I couldn't trust them, but my big guy I would trust with my life. Incidentally, the first time my daughter rode a horse she was a couple of weeks old and was nestled in her sling while I rode. It continued that way until she was three and we got her a pony of her own. It may sound to outsiders like bad parenting, but when necessity meets passion it's just something you deal with the best way you can.

If we're just talking about gentle walking while on horseback, then there might not be any reason to stop at all except that after about seven months or so getting on a horse might not be worth all the sweating and cursing.

This. Completely. I stopped when I reached the point that I couldn't haul myself up any more.

Plus, there comes a point when you just need to pee all the time and the pressure on your bladder is enough to make you stop.

She might well stop when her pregnancy reaches that inevitable stage where the public believes she is under their general guidance. If they don't approve, they will shake their no-no fingers at her and lecture her and perhaps even pull her off the horse. She will likely give in because who wants to be pointed out as a bad mother-to-be.

Oh god yes, I experienced this a lot. Thankfully I was on a yard where several other folk had kids and knew and understood the situation. There were horses I would ride and horses I wouldn't. I mean, hacking out my 15 year old that I bottlefed is completely different to riding my newly broken 3 year old. I think people need to trust that we, as horse women, know our limitations, but that we also know our animals and what is likely, or unlikely, to happen.

If your question includes personal limits, I probably wouldn't do it at all. If she's an experienced rider, perhaps she'd limit her riding to horses she knows and trusts. Along with the other factors, pregnant women vary widely in how careful or adventurous they are with it. So it could show a lot about her personality, as well as her relationship with her husband. He doesn't like it? So, she sneaks, tells him he's not included in the decision, honors his feelings on it, or what? Sorry, probably getting far away from your question...

This also. The day I found out that I was (very) pregnant I was giving a trampoline lesson (I used to be an instructor) which involved me dropping onto my stomach and somersaulting through the air repeatedly. I certainly panicked about that afterwards, but baby was fine. Turns out that all that fluid in there is there for a reason.

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
I asked nicely to focus on the OP's question, but I don't think you got the point. Whether or not someone else answered the question is not at issue. Quit analyzing each other's posts and move on.

Alexandra Little

What a desolation.
Registered
Reaction score
While not a horse, there was a woman who made the news when she rode her bicycle to the hospital while she was in labor. She said she could have rode it back from the hospital, but she had her bundle of joy by then and so used a car.

shaldna

Registered
Reaction score
While not a horse, there was a woman who made the news when she rode her bicycle to the hospital while she was in labor. She said she could have rode it back from the hospital, but she had her bundle of joy by then and so used a car.

My mum was in labour all day with my youngest brother - she cleaned the house, took us to school, picked us up etc all while in labour.