Leading Flu Researcher in Italy Accused of Selling Virus

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
So far, the only thing I can find in English is a short piece on the Science magazine website about an unpublished report from the Italian police. The police are claiming that a group that included scientists, executives, government officials, and veterinarians "colluded to profit financially from Italy's battle with avian influenza." (One of the scientists mentioned in these claims is also a member of the Italian Parliament, and has over 100 publications in PubMed.)

The claims against the members of this "criminal organization" include smuggling influenza viruses into the country; illegally selling the viruses; making and selling an illegal vaccine; and then trying to spread avian influenza to create a market for their vaccine.

For now, color me skeptical. Isn't this the same country that convicted earthquake researchers for manslaughter because they were unable to predict earthquakes? And now they're going after virus researchers?

Anyone speak Italian? I'd love to learn more. :D

Note: I'm not sure if the Science magazine link works for non-members, but you can sign up for free for access to some things.