SepNoWriMo!

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
So, it's a new month, so we need a new thread.

For those who don't know the drill, set some goals to complete this month, and then check in here for moral support as you go about obliterating your goals. :)

My goals:

1. I only have 3 assignments to do this month, but I'd like to also make progress on my literature review reading/note taking on top.
2. Do all the readings for Uni.
3. Mentally prepare myself for going interstate for my brother's wedding in early October.

:)

Today I had Uni, and got some good feedback on a creative non-fiction piece that I was worried about. The tutor actually said I'm a beautiful writer, which is promising. :)

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
50K is always my goal.
4 blog posts.
4 books.

Last month wasn't bad. But not as good as I was hoping for. And today I'm starting with "To Kill A Mockingbird" as the first book of the month. I've never read it before. Before, I will do some writing.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I've pencilled in 50,000 words as a goal for September, but my real aim for this month is to finish my current manuscript. I've never had such a long productive streak before (133k during July and August) so I'm kind of in uncharted territory. I'm trying to understand the factors that improve my productivity - I'd like to be able to write a novel every two months all year round. Six novels a year. That's my pipe dream.

Moriar

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all, thought I'd sign myself up for this, hope you don't mind.
I have one WIP I need to finish and edit during this month.
Then I'm going to put up a goal of starting the draft for another WIP.
Roughly I would like to write at least 70k during this month (counting both WIPs).

@Parametric, we have a similar dream :) And I've been trying to optimize my productivity as well in past few months.

Good luck everybody!

oceansoul

Registered
Reaction score
I'm giving myself a goal of 30,000 words in September. If I can manage that, I will probably have a workable first draft of my current WIP.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking at some concentrated down time in September (hurrah!) but I know life has a way of interfering with best-laid plans (boo!) so I'm giving myself an only slightly more ambitious goal of 20k words on my WIP and four new books read by the end of the month.

Current word count: 56,764 (goal: 76,764)
Books read: 0 out of 4
Blog posts: 0 out of 2

Last edited:

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
My month goal lasts the week. One week to finish the WIP.

Six scenes left, and I'm off today and tomorrow. Three today, three tomorrow. I can totally do that. (maybe.)

I'm still doing the numbers, but I'm curious to see it I get any results after a month of keeping my writing hours logged.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I'm off work today too! I've run out of work and it might be a few days before my next client pops up, so it's an impromptu writing holiday. 1700 words and counting today - I'd like to break 3000 words by the time I fall asleep over my laptop tonight.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
September goals:

--Finish WIP #2
--Finish WIP #1

Anything else is just icing on the cake.

SamuraiHex

Registered
Reaction score
Website
samuraihex.weebly.com
I've got a few goals for this month.

Second Saviour
Finish plot (not really a goal, one chapter away from finishing it).
Write up to Chapter 4 or 5 of the book (including prologue) so about 10 odd thousand words. Possibly more or less.
Finish writing some lore for the universe, made 8 pages aiming for another 8.

Spirit Sorcerers
Get about halfway with the plot (yet to start it).

Others
Read one or two books this month.
Write and post parts of my book and/or character sketches (character sketches will also be posted onto YouTube, so it'll take a while to create the video).

If Lucky With All Above
Relax and look into making a collection of short stories. :D

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I just typed 923 words of a 1000-word paper. Unfortunately, I still need to write the introduction and conclusion, which should total about 200 words together, so I'm way over my word limit. But eh - it's done, for the most part.

I did, however, realise that I haven't *specifically* answered the 3 questions for the paper... *sigh* So in edits I need to tailor some lines to reflect why it's a valid answer for 1 of those 3 questions, 3 times over.

ETA: Just wrote the introduction and conclusion, making reference to how those 3 mini-questions were addressed in the text, so I at least can look at the intro/conclusion during edits to work that stuff in. Made more sense to figure that out now while the body of the essay was fresh in my mind, than to wait till edits. And the paper is now around 1150 words, so I need to cut about 150 words. *sigh* But I'm done for the day, I think. :)

Last edited:

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
Added another 2k yesterday. I've got some sort of timeline issue. I need one scene to happen where it does in order to have it effect the plot like I need it to, but that puts it two scenes away from the emotional climax.

I know, I should just leave it alone until editing.

I had to call my friend who is alpha reading to make sure my big plot reveal didn't feel cheap. She didn't guess it from the lead in (both good- it's not obvious, and bad- did I not give enough hints?), but was okay with the answer.

I want to finish today. About 4k, I can just feel the finish like with my finger tips. (apparently, I have 4k long arms?)

Sarah G

Let me live that fantasy.
Registered
Reaction score
Joining the thread this month, instead of lurking:tongue

I only have the one goal though to finish all the editing on the one novel. I’m splitting the edits up into different passes, which of course, is taking longer but works best for me. If I attempt it all in one brain turns to mush, even more than usual;)

First lot to be done by the weekend because I’m already half way through. I’m trying to ignore the fact that it’s two days into the week, that I'm busy Friday morning and haven’t done anything yet. I should go change that:poke:

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't do a great deal yesterday - felt like taking it easy after the final push to make my August goals - but there was some progress.

Current word count: 57,379 (goal: 76,764)
Books read: 0 out of 4
Blog posts: 0 out of 2

I finally completed A Summons to Memphis (the book I was 45 pages shy of finishing on August 31) and have started The Little House Cookbook, which is not just a recipe book but an examination of historical cooking methods, centered around the Laura Ingalls Wilder "Little House" books. I expect it'll be a fairly easy read.

I have photo material to do a blog post about harvesting and freezing collard greens (which took up a few hours of my Labor Day), but I probably won't tackle that until tomorrow.

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
3.2K written. Scene and a half to go. I don't know who to kill (again).

Is it too mean to kill the new mother? Kill or maim the LI's brother? Maim the LI too? Six important, named characters were in the fight. How many make it too bloody? Not bloody enough?

Bah, killing characters is so much work...

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
3.2K written. Scene and a half to go. I don't know who to kill (again).

Is it too mean to kill the new mother? Kill or maim the LI's brother? Maim the LI too? Six important, named characters were in the fight. How many make it too bloody? Not bloody enough?

Bah, killing characters is so much work...

I vote for all of the above. :D And congrats on the wordcount! 3200 words is a ton! That is a very productive day.

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
I vote for all of the above. :D And congrats on the wordcount! 3200 words is a ton! That is a very productive day.

I want it done. Not in an 'ugh, I'm so sick of it' way, but in the 'it's right over there and I want to grab for it'* kind of way. Kill the new mom, the brother, and maim the LI? Not too much? Maybe I'll maim the brother, and injure the LI.

The dad in injured too, but not seriously... That's bloody enough, right?

How many words for you today, Parametric? Where's Chompers? We have a race to run!

*twss

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Just hitting 4000 and I still have a few hours left to write. Bring it. :D

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Another 5000-word day. It appears I have some actual work to do for the rest of this week (alas) so I need to take my foot off the accelerator a bit, but I'm glad I put my days off work to good use.

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
5K accomplished, and one scene left in the WIP!

I'm rewarding myself with a high-calorie dinner and a beer.

SamuraiHex

Registered
Reaction score
Website
samuraihex.weebly.com
Spent all night writing up the prologue, just finished it now at ten past two in the morning.
Prologue is 1.8k words long with almost 10k of characters.
Happy with that, depending if I start yawning now or not, I'll start on the plot of my other WIP.
If yawns abound, I'll get some sleep and start it when I wake up.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, looks like everyone's starting of September with a bang! I'm gonna try to get some writing in later, but I'm getting sleepy.