The Blacklist on NBC...(SPOILERS ahead)

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I really didn't think I'd like it, but I watched the last three episodes of this years season (on demand) last night and OMG...

I absolutely lurved it - James Spader is brilliant!

*Apologies if there's already a thread devoted to this program, but I couldn't find one* :Shrug:

Last edited:

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I really didn't think I'd like it, but I watched the last three episodes of this years season (on demand) last night and OMG...

I absolutely lurved it - James Spader is brilliant!

*Apologies if there's already a thread devoted to this program, but I couldn't find one* :Shrug:

Heh, yeah he's the only reason I tuned in to it in the first place - they use him well.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey Cornflake,

Is it just me or did you figure out his "relationship" with the female agent right away? ;)

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
I've been disappointed in the series. James Spader makes an awesome bad guy. He's three or four levels above the rest of the show.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
I just watched the whole season on DVD. Shaky start, but I felt it got better as the season went along. Some pretty silly stuff, but Spader makes it work.

One thing that bothers me is the way it perpetuates an image of Federal agents as being generally contemptuous of due process and civil rights. They routinely torture people for information -- in real life illegal, ineffective and amateurish, but apparently normal in their world.

When did this crap become part of pop culture? I blame 24.

DaisyH

Registered
Reaction score
Can't wait for season 2 to start-- love James Spader in this.

NicaCurt

Registered
Reaction score
I love James Spader's acting. He pretty much has the best lines on this show and I can't wait for the next season.

Brandon M Johnson

hard at work
Registered
Reaction score
I'm really interested to see where this goes in season 2. Spader is brilliant and they get some good actors to play the blacklisters of the week, but the supporting cast... well, maybe if Red tells me Lizzy is special fifty more times, I'll start to believe him. (Liked her in the pilot, by the way.)

I hope the plotting gets stronger. There were times last season when they were kicking their wheels and there was a key mistake in the pilot that nearly messed up the entire season for me. When Red (who is basically always right) tells Lizzy not to trust her husband, I believe him. So then I spent episode after episode waiting for Lizzy's marriage to finally crumble so we could get to the obvious reveal.

This show still has major potential though. I'm just concerned that it could collapse under the weight of its own vague back story since it's basically being carried solely by the awesomeness that is James Spader as Red.

Royale.Revolution

Registered
Reaction score
Season 2 starts tonight in 5 hours! I'm absolutely stoked. I remember when I was started watching season 1, I was a bit skeptical if it would be any good but I'm completely hooked!

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It comes on too late for me - I'm one of those "old people" who can't stay awake after 9:00 PM...

So, I'll catch it (on demand) later this week. ;)

Royale.Revolution

Registered
Reaction score
James Spader just does an awesome job in The Blacklist. I want next Monday to come around. Next week's episode is gonna be crazy! I liked how yesterday's episode was more focused on Reddington then it was on Lizzie.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
My son is catching up on Netflix. I knew this wouldn't be my style of show, but he put it on while he and I were eating.

The Episode? The Stewmaker.

No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no.

Not every watching this show again. Holy flying fuck.

I want giant rubbery monsters stomping Tokyo horror.

If anyone needs me I'll be cowering in the closet.

Jhaewyrmend

Registered
Reaction score
Spader is really a great actor and the writing does him justice, but the show after a while, for both my wife and I, got annoying. The lady agent was just too unbelievable and unbelievably vanilla. I kept screaming at the t.v., Agents don't hold a gun like that woman. They didn't do their homework. It had promise, but ended up more annoying us than anything else and we were ready for the season to end 5 episodes before it did.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
OMG - A finger in a box!!!

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I. Love. This. Show! Hubs and I started watching Season 1 on Netflix a couple weeks ago and finished in a weekend, in time for Season 2.

I figured out Red's relationship with Elizabeth Keen before my husband...and then it all makes complete sense. But I didn't figure it out immediately.

Spader is AMAZING. He is phenomenal! He definitely makes the show. He's the best kind of bad guy - the one you love and root for despite the bad things he's done. For me, it's his obvious loyalties and love for Elizabeth. He fights it sometimes, but then again...he'd do anything for her which is why he's there.

AndreF

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm starting to loose interest with this show. It was good but now it just seems to be doing the old dance but with a new twisted song every episode.

And this thing between Liz and Red is really aggravating me. Either state what's going on and move on or drop it and move on.

That and the extreme amount of commercials is starting to become very annoying too. I'm not sure if I should give the show another chance to show me that greatness it had when it first started or just drop it.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh Contraire...

I'm actually enjoying the thing between Lizzie & Red.

... and (again) James Spader is simply brilliant - His swag is incredible!

Last edited:

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Okay...anyone else as confused as I am? What's with that key from the bottle? Has anyone figured out what the heck is behind that door? I guess we find out next week.

And...Liz is Red's daughter, right? The other girl is just the daughter of his ex-wife?

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I have a feeling that Liz being Red's daughter is a detail that will change believably as it needs to for the script. That's the beautiful thing about a character like Red, when played by an actor like Spader. He can lie 20 times, about the same thing, and still make you believe he's telling the truth each time.

They'll likely flip-flop on the facts without ever giving an answer that's not open to interpretation.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm...I get what you're saying, and you're absolutely right about Spader as an actor. That's part of why I love him. No matter how bad his character Red is and all the bad things you know he's done...there's something about him that you can't help but love. Whether it's his intelligence or the way he tells stories before making his kill or his fierce loyalty to Liz...

But if she's NOT his daughter, why the hell does he care so deeply for her? :)

Leah J. Utas

Protecting Teddy with all my might.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I suspect the other girl, Jennifer?, is another daughter of Red's.

I love Spader. He's about the only reason I am watching as the show is a bit thin this season. I am hoping it will pick up.
I hope whatever's behind the door is worth the build up.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
Are people really speculating about what's behind the door? I assumed I always knew, and was a bit frustrated the show is being so coy about it.

HINT: Ryan Eggold is still listed as a series regular and his body conveniently disappeared last year.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Whose Daughter?

Was I seeing things when I noticed Red's badly burned/scarred back as he removed his shirt a couple of episodes back? Wasn't that a giveaway that he was burned in the fire while rescuing Lizzie?

Also, I'm thinking the other woman is the daughter he had with the character played by Mary Louise Parker.

Oh, and I think Lizzie's "ex" is behind the door too.
;)

But why is she keeping him hidden?