• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

What are Your Biggest Pet Peeves?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxitoutwriter

Registered
Reaction score
For writing....

For me, I can't stand when a book comes off as overly preachy. I don't mind if there's a message, but I'd prefer if it didn't overpower the actual story. The only story I ever truly regret reading was super preachy. I try to avoid that in my own writing, but any tips on that would be highly appreciated. In my opinion, if the message is good enough, it doesn't need to be pushed. The lesson will be made naturally, and in a way that is near subliminal, anything else is just propaganda.

What are your pet peeves?

guttersquid

I agree with Roxxsmom.
Registered
Reaction score
The easiest way I can think of to avoid preaching is to keep yourself out of the story. Tell your stories from the characters' points of view. If you choose to go above the characters in an omni sense, just stick to facts.

My pet peeves? Wow. Too many to mention. If you want to know my pet peeves, watch the tv show Under the Dome. All my pet peeves are there.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Threads about pet peeves. ;)

We've had a lot of them, and I find as a writer that they're more demoralizing than anything. You pretty much can't write anything without hitting on at least a few pet peeves.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
The easiest way I can think of to avoid preaching is to keep yourself out of the story. Tell your stories from the characters' points of view. If you choose to go above the characters in an omni sense, just stick to facts.

My pet peeves? Wow. Too many to mention. If you want to know my pet peeves, watch the tv show Under the Dome. All my pet peeves are there.

I don't want characters preaching, either, but good advice.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Threads about pet peeves. ;)

We've had a lot of them, and I find as a writer that they're more demoralizing than anything. You pretty much can't write anything without hitting on at least a few pet peeves.

This.

Eventually, we all retire to drown our literary sorrows, because it becomes clear that pretty much everything in each of our stories is going to be hated by someone, probably several someones.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.