Incorporating Publishing Company for Self-Publishing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whimsical Writing

Finally, I self-pubbed!
Registered
Reaction score
HI Everyone,

I was curious to know if any of you have incorporated your own publishing company, and why/why not?

I have read a few author blogs. Some have, and some have not, incorporated their own publishing company and self-published through it. After evaluating the information I've gathered, I'm curious to know anecdotes, and your own personal feelings on the matter.

Thank you so much!

plumone

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't, because I don't have the money, and I also I don't see the need for it. I only have one book out. Even if I had more, though, I probably still wouldn't. I don't think there is much tax/privacy/protection assistance a corp provides, especially for a one man shop publishing business.

Last edited:

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score
HI Everyone,

I was curious to know if any of you have incorporated your own publishing company, and why/why not?

I have read a few author blogs. Some have, and some have not, incorporated their own publishing company and self-published through it. After evaluating the information I've gathered, I'm curious to know anecdotes, and your own personal feelings on the matter.

Thank you so much!

It's not cost effective unless you're making a decent amount of money from self-publishing, and even then there are many, many factors at play that could make it good or bad for you. You could be better off going with an LLC than a full corporation, as well. Talk to the experts.

If you're making money at it, talk to a tax accountant and/or lawyer about incorporating. They know the ins and outs.

Some still do it to start, but it's quite a financial outlay, depending on your state. An alternative is to register yourself as a sole proprietorship, and file a DBA (Doing Business As) in the name of the company you want to use, so you can use it as your publisher name now and keep it if you should choose to incorporate/form an LLC.

slhuang

Inappropriately math-oriented.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.slhuang.com
IANAL, but I consulted one, and I believe the answer to your question is highly location-dependent.

My anecdote: My mother, who works in finance and lives/works in a different state, recommended an LLC for me. So I was all set to make one. But before I did, I consulted a lawyer about that and other things regarding my self-publishing venture.

What she told me? Not to start an LLC in my state, UNEQUIVOCALLY not, do not pass go, do not collect $200. She said to call her back if I started making more than $X (where X is quite large) because otherwise the laws, taxation, and fees in my state made it not even in the realm of close to worth it to have an LLC.

So, my advice: Consult a lawyer in your jurisdiction. Really. Do it. Make a list of questions and do it. Mine cost $70 for a phone consult and that call has saved me heaps in other costs (and other potential costs).

Whimsical Writing

Finally, I self-pubbed!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, guys! It's what i figured. Costs would supersede earnings, unless you strike lucky. Appreciate it. I kept coming back to this issue, and wanted to lay this beast to rest (for now;))

Mikjael

Registered
Reaction score
I'm involved with some people who are planning to do something along these lines in the future. But it's a ways off yet. Also it would probably only really operate in Australia.

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
I already had an LLC for my writing business, so I absorbed my self-publishing into that. As others have said, the cost varies widely by state. It was very inexpensive when I started, but is ridiculous now where I live.

Status
Not open for further replies.