Buy books by AWers

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Have a question about your promotional opportunities on AW? You can ask it here.

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter AW Moderator Ari Meermans's Avatar

Have a question about your promotional opportunities on AW? You can ask it here.

A while back I received the most excellent suggestion that we have a Q&A thread specifically for getting answers to questions about promoting on AW, and in Announcements, Events, and Book Promotion, in particular. (We won't go into how far back "a while back" goes what with first one thing then another, but as I mentioned it is an excellent suggestion and I hope you'll take advantage of it.)

Promotional Activities allowed are:

• Linking to websites, blogs, and published books in signatures. Everything you wanted to know about signatures can be found here.
    • Promoting your published writings in the Announcements, Events, and Book Promotion forum. Guidelines for posting in AE&BP may be found here.
    • Shelving your work in the AbsoluteWrite Library. Guidelines for listing your published work in the Library are here.
    • Announcing your crowdfunded project in the “AWer Kick-Starter and Indiegogo Projects” guidelines are here.

Now those links are where you can find the basics on the "where" and the "how to", but sometimes questions remain on the fine tuning of those opportunities for your specific need. And, of course, sometimes things aren't quite as clear as they could or should have been. This is the thread for getting the answers to those lingering questions.
    Last edited by Ari Meermans; 11-24-2014 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Update thread link.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin KaiReader's Avatar
    Eureka! Just what I need!

Navigating forums without being labelled a spammer or a troll can be tricky!
    Mind you I've never been labelled a troll, I'm more the lurking, occasionally piping up if I think I can help kinda forum user than a poking and prodding to see who goes up in flames type... But I am painfully aware that my current role involves walking a dangerous line...

I don't want to spam, I wish to get involved in the community here and hopefully make people aware of the platform I represent at the same time.
    I'm an avid reader and a shy-hobby-writer in my spare time, so I'm not completely... Alien?

I see I can put a link in my sig, that's good to know!
    Now I know sometimes moderators can be a bit knee-jerky due to frustration dealing with spam and such so I am hoping someone can clarify..

If I see someone asking a question about, for example, what platforms are available for selling their e-books apart from the obvious Amazon & Smashwords, is it acceptable for me to reply, mentioning the KaiReader platform that I represent and suggesting that they check it out?
    Surely you gotta give me credit for being above-board? lol
    KaiReader: for Authors and Readers www.kaireader.com. E-reading Apps available for iOS and Android, or read in the browser.
    If you're a self publishing Author with a spare few minutes, please consider completing this questionnaire with surveymonkey to help us improve our services.

Simply having the link to your site in your signature can be surprisingly effective since it "follows" you as you actively engage the community. Our members who offer services leave it at that, knowing members who are interested will send them a private message.

Each forum within AW handles self-promotion in its own way, and were that question to be asked you might be allowed to point to the link in your signature. Generally, though, any attempt to discuss a service one provides will be frowned on. It's rather better not to open that door.
    Last edited by Ari Meermans; 11-24-2014 at 09:23 AM.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    I would like to promote my book, but receive a message that I am not authorized to post to this forum. Does this mean that the forum thinks I am probably a spammer?

No, the forum software doesn't think that. Good thing, too, as that would give me a proper fright, it would.

What it means is that you haven't yet met the minimum 50-post requirement for starting a thread in the forum; you can find the guidelines explaining that and providing other tips here.

Stepping through the Shadows JayliaDarkness's Avatar
    Is it allowed for me to start a thread for review copies of my latest book?
    My YA Fantasy novel, ESCAPE FROM WITCHWOOD HOLLOW, will soon be published by Curiosity Quills.

Blog: http://kissedbyliterature.blogspot.com/
    If you like my writing, you can "like" me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pages/Jordan-Elizabeth-Mierek/134299303402268?fref=ts
    WattPad: http://www.wattpad.com/user/JordanMierek

Represented by Belcastro Literary Agency

You may, but if you have a limited number of copies available for review you might do better on sites with heavier reader/reviewer traffic. Sites such as Goodreads offer a book-for-review service, as does LibraryThing.

Stepping through the Shadows JayliaDarkness's Avatar
    The review copies are in ebook form, and I have permission to dispense as many as I want. That should still work, right?

I've gotten great feedback from SYW on here, so I thought of this place first!
    My YA Fantasy novel, ESCAPE FROM WITCHWOOD HOLLOW, will soon be published by Curiosity Quills.

Blog: http://kissedbyliterature.blogspot.com/
    If you like my writing, you can "like" me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pages/Jordan-Elizabeth-Mierek/134299303402268?fref=ts
    WattPad: http://www.wattpad.com/user/JordanMierek

Represented by Belcastro Literary Agency

Yes, that will work.

My YA paranormal mystery novel Wicked Cries released this month. I am published through BRW and need help promoting. Anyone know of any good book expos or conferences for writers this summer in the south east?
    Also, has anyone had any luck with finding agents who want to promote or take on a novel for television purposes or literary?
    Sorry so many questions, eager writer!

Hi, mommaareaux. All great questions, and since they're general book promotion questions and aren't specific to AW, you might get better insight and info in the Book Promotion Ideas and Advice forum. Take a look over there; I'd bet a lot of your questions have already been answered there.

Best of luck,

Ari
    Resources for Promoting on AbsoluteWrite:

figuring it all out
    While I have not been looking into the promotional aspects of the water cooler so far, as my book has been out for several months already, I occasionally have sales or promotions on Amazon for kindle copies. Is there a thread where I can inform people of upcoming sales?

Hi, gang. I've been gone for a while, but back now.

Travis, I'm not sure if you've received an answer to your question. Once you've met the 50 substantive post threshold, which I see you now have, you may start your own thread in this forum (AE&BP) to promote your book sales.

HTH

Ari

It's the answer I was looking for.

I'd love to know where I can announce girl friend's wonderful editing startup. What thread do I need?

Chris, Tri

Hi, Chris

Girl friend can join AW and place a link to her editing service site in her signature. Let her know we'd love to have her join us.

Ari
    Last edited by Ari Meermans; 08-22-2016 at 11:21 PM.

No, there isn't. You may place a link to your editing services website in your signature, though.

Hello Ari,

I'm hosting a giveaway of $97 of professional fiction writing books (e.g. King's "On Writing" and many others). I'd love to invite all AWers to it. There is no fee to enter. How should I go about it?

Many thanks,

Tal Valante

Quote Originally Posted by Valante View Post
    Hello Ari,

I'm hosting a giveaway of $97 of professional fiction writing books (e.g. King's "On Writing" and many others). I'd love to invite all AWers to it. There is no fee to enter. How should I go about it?

Many thanks,

Tal Valante
    Hi, Tal,

We require a threshold of fifty (50) substantive posts before a member can promote on AW. This requirement is for the protection of the community and was established because too many people were joining simply in order to take advantage of the promotional opportunities here. So, until you become an actively engaged member of the community, your options are limited.

Since you do not have the requisite minimum 50 substantive posts, you may place a link to your giveaway in your signature. Your signature "follows" you as you participate in discussions around the community. AW is a community of really great people; get to know them and let them get to know you before asking from them. You can learn more about this in the "How do I promote on AbsoluteWrite with aplomb, and What's this deal about 'engaging the community'?" sticky for this room.

Welcome back. I look forward to seeing you around.

Ari
    Last edited by Ari Meermans; 03-24-2017 at 10:32 PM.