• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] Inspired Quill

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
These folks had a stall at Loncon and their books looked nicely produced; they use Lightning Source. The website is here http://www.inspired-quill.com/

Anyone have any experience with them?

millymollymo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.millymollymo.com
Inspired Quill run as a social enterprise - that is to say profits are reinvested, not just to improve business on a top level, but think "long term" by investing in future 'potential authors. John Lewis (the store) is a sort of example of a successful social enterprise.
IQ have been on the go for about 3 years I think. I've encountered their stall at Lincoln Inspired and Lincoln Asylum (Steampunk event) even attended a workshop run by one of their authors. Two novels from IQ are up for review in ScifiNow this month. While their website is ...well lets say in desperate need of an update (which they are working on) the MD and team behind it work on a totally open policy. You know, AMA style. Got a question, email them.
To date, my experience with them is quite refreshing.http://www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Last edited:

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
So, a friend of a friend of mine knows Ben Hennessy whose book, Queen of the World, is published by IQ. I've only read the first bit of the Kindle version, but it wasn't bad. No really glaring formatting or editing issues.

However, not knowing Mr. Hennessy myself, I can't give any deeper insight into things.

Aggy, small world

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently reading 'Queen of the World'.
The physical book is nicely presented

millymollymo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.millymollymo.com
I've a book sat in their slush pile at the minute, and have read 'Greaveburn', by Craig Hallam which they published early last year I think. The effort for presentation and copy edit is evident. They seek (like all publishers and agents) quality, but don't appear to publish everything that crosses their path. They have an incremental royalty rate that starts at 15% for PB and 40% for ebook.
It's worth mentioning also that that are good for their word with regards to response times with a turn around of around 1 month.
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Last edited:

HLWampler

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Submitted a piece to them today! Fingers crossed. They seem pretty awesome.

millymollymo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.millymollymo.com
A little more feedback for you if any of you are thinking of submitting your MS. From initial submission to decision was less than two months. Just under one from full query being sent to final reply. The two months period included a very open and honest discussion of any questions I had - which if you are new to this whole process, is very reassuring and personalised. It does wonders for the "limbo" wait. Their response to my full was both informative and hugely inspiring. With both R+R and send it elsewhere options:D I don't think I have yet encountered such honest, constructive and open discussions with a publisher.

I hope you get some good news Hlwampler.

Last edited:

JaneD

Registered
Reaction score
Website
janedougherty.wordpress.com
As a result of reading this thread I submitted to Inspired Quill on September 10 and received what I think is a revise & resubmit. My two chapter submission was returned with extensive edits followed by the editor's notes, and an invitation to resubmit if I thought I could work through the suggestions. It was a real boost to morale that they took the time to give so much feedback. I don't have much experience of submitting mss but it certainly isn't the norm as far as I know. I would be very happy to be signed by this publisher.

Cel_Fleur

Braving the query mountains
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, met Craig Hallam today and he told me that they're such a great publisher in regards to feedback. Nice to have some confidence instilled in smaller publishers. Will definitely think about subbing my Fantasy Romance here once I've finished this round of rewrites.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
It concerns me greatly that they have only 4 books available on their website when I know that there are more published by them; Ben Hennessy has a second IQ book listed on his website but it is not on the IQ site. Also that their blog hasn't been updated for 3 months.

SillyLittleTwit

Assistant Deputy Backup
Registered
Reaction score
The website's been updated.

They got snowed under in the last round of open submissions, so there was a temporary delay in getting back to people. They also make a point of getting input from authors about stuff like cover art, etc.

SillyLittleTwit

Assistant Deputy Backup
Registered
Reaction score
Just giving people a heads-up that Inspired Quill is opening up submissions again in May.

Jo Zebedee

space opera-popcorn lover!
Registered
Reaction score
Off the shoulder of Orion, not far from Belfast.
Website
Www.jozebedee.com
Just an update with my experience so far - all very good. Nice feel, nice communication with me, proactive in terms of seeking blurbs, reviews etc and editorial was also good. I'm pleased with the cover and all in all am having a very relaxed publishing experience with them (Waters and the Wild comes out in July).

SaraC

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the information! This was one of the more positives threads I've seen about a small publisher. I just submitted something to them. :)

dawinsor

Dorothy A. Winsor
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
I signed a contract with these folks this week. My book is due out one year from now, September 2018. I'm very excited. Thanks to AW for making me aware of them.

Reactions: writera

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
Their website looks good to me, but I’m still reading up on them and don’t know much about industry standards. It’s a shame that my current WIP is too dang long to even be considered...