• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Cohesion Press

Sticks

Registered
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had any experience with or additional information about Cohesion Press?

Wesbite: http://cohesionpress.com/

From the website:

"Cohesion Press opened up just last year to publish fast-paced thriller horror/sci-fi/fantasy"

And: "
Cohesion Press is the brainchild of Geoff Brown, the past president of the Australian Horror Writers Association and owner-operator of Cohesion Editing and Proofreading. We will be publishing anthologies, collections, novels, and novellas in ebook and print form."

Also: "All of our books are available at all good online retailers. Any bookshop can order through Ingram Distribution. Just ask by title and author at your local bookstore."

They appear to have published 7 books so far. They are an Australian press.

They currently have an open submission call for a horror anthology (paying pro rates) and I was thinking about sending them a short story.

Any thoughts?

In particular, I'm wondering if authors are ever steered towards the owner's editing & proof-reading service.

I'm also concerned about the lack of distribution, although perhaps that's normal for a such a small press.

GNBraun

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Sticks,
Geoff Brown from Cohesion Press here. I have a Google alert set up for any mention of Cohesion, specifically to find any reviews that slip online, and it led me here.
I'm happy to answer any questions you may have, so I'll start with those two you have down the bottom of your query.

We never steer authors to our editing services, but we're always open to steering authors from our editing services to our publishing service. If a book comes in for editing that I think would suit our press, I would certainly offer to publish it without cost to the author. If a publisher were to charge for any part of the process for a book they were releasing, I'd suggest running as far away from that publisher as possible.

As far as distribution, we have PoD print through Ingram/LSI, and have gained a spot in the Australian book market as a preferred publisher for Dymocks Booksellers. We are negotiating with Collins Booksellers now, but as anyone knows it's hard to get full distribution with PoD print.
My main idea is to get sales through having name authors, especially in our anthologies, and to that end we have done pretty well so far.
SNAFU, our first antho, has original stories by Jonathan Maberry, Weston Ochse, James A Moore, and Greig Beck, all internationally-bestselling authors.
It also has eleven tales from our open submission period.

If it's Blurring the Line you're looking at subbing to, we will have some very well-known authors in that, too. We will be making announcements soon.
My idea is to have some real powerhouse writers in each antho, to drive the sales from their fans, and to ensure our stuff is top-notch so that readers come back for more.
We will be releasing a SNAFU each year, and hope to do the same with Blurring the Line.
The only real difference I can claim for Cohesion, apart from a desire to put out quality stuff, is the network of contacts I have through years in the horror scene, including, as you pointed out, my time in the committee of the AHWA. I know many renowned writers personally, and have gained a good reputation in the field.

If there is anything else you'd like to know, please ask.

GNBraun

Registered
Reaction score
Also on the point of distribution, we make most of our sales through ebooks, and that's where our focus lies at this point, until we have the finances to do large offset print runs. We do intend to move up to that.

Sticks

Registered
Reaction score
I appreciate you taking the time to post, Geoff. Thank you.

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, Cohesion is a pretty well known and legitimate small press genre publisher here in Australia. I've bought a few of their books!

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
Cohesion Press announced yesterday they are closing their doors and returning all rights to their authors. Royalties are being paid out to authors owed money.

Notices posted on Twitter, Facebook, and the company's web site.

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
After "some structural changes", intends to continue as antho-only.