Someone who needs a course in Idioit.101

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Man arrested for carrying, and (maybe) brandishing, an AR-15 assault rifle at an airport.

http://news.msn.com/us/man-bringing-gun-to-airport-a-political-statement

My favorite quote here is: "There is never anything to fear from peaceful, responsible gun owners."

Yeah, dude, like I see you walking around the airport with an AR-15 and I should assume you're a "peaceful, responsible gun owner". Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. Especially given the history of mass killings of strangers in public places via guns.

Lock up his ass for a while. And the rest of him, while you're at it.

caw

Last edited:

ShaunHorton

AW's resident Velociraptor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
What is it going to take to convince these people that the average person is NOT okay with them openly walking around with large, intimidating weapons on them?

Oh, the shiny black metal fuels their testosterone so that there is no convincing them. The person with the biggest weapon is always in the right.

Idiots.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, dude, like I see you walking around the airport with an AR-15 and I should assume you're a "peaceful, responsible gun owner". Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. Especially given the history of mass killings of strangers in public places via guns.

Screw the mass shootings. Hijacked airplanes anyone?

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
There are plenty of responsible gun owners out there, but gun rights advocacy and activism attract some doozies. There's a huge difference between keeping a handgun or hunting rifle in your home or carrying a handgun in an inconspicuous way, and carrying large, threatening guns in public. Especially in places where people might already be concerned about safety.

I want to know exactly what "activists" like these intend to accomplish. I was going to ask if they expect their behavior to make people more comfortable around guns, but I suspect their agendas aren't that well-calculated. I think they simply want to make a statement and show off that they can do what they want. That form of activism can actually be good and effective sometimes, but it's not effective with something like gun rights, where the major opposition revolves around the fact that guns actually do pose a safety concern. Playing into those concerns isn't exactly bright.

ShaunHorton

Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
I believe their aim (pun not intended) is to show people that guns themselves aren't actually dangerous and that someone with one isn't necessarily going to shoot them.

:crazy: Yeah. I know.

The fact is that guns are dangerous, and given how fast a situation can explode, I can only see it as smart to assume anyone you see with a gun could be a threat.

I personally think we should hold gun manufacturers liable for their weapons as well. I'm tired of hearing the rhetoric "Guns don't kill people, people kill people." Yeah, well, Cigarettes don't kill people, cancer does. But we still hold tobacco companies responsible for the harm their products do.

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
He's a researcher at the neurological institute? Maybe he got too close to something that affected his neurological abilities? Because how does the public tell a 'peaceful, responsible gun-owner' from a dangerous, irresponsible gun-owner, at a distance, before the shooting starts? Because if we could only get a reliable test, we could stop some of these shootings.
Really, what if he had wandered into the view of some traveler who was already scared of flying, who freaked out at what he, quite reasonably, thought was a terrorist? Or some gung-ho officer who was just waiting for a terrorist so he could be a hero?
Police at Vancouver International Airport Tasered a guy to death for pointing a stapler at them.

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
One of the reasons why people get nervous about guns is that it can be hard to know just from looking at someone whether they're a peaceful, responsible gun owner or not. Even if there haven't been a lot of mass shootings lately, a civilian carrying an assault rifle is going to turn heads. That's not a typical gun that people would routinely carry with them. And since shootings do happen, I don't think telling people not to be concerned if they see someone walking around with an assault rifle is the right message to send. It's also possible for someone to generally support gun ownership but also believe that there are instances when it's good to be wary of guns. I support free speech and am glad our constitution protects it, but if I came across someone in public who was saying threatening or suspicious stuff, I would be wary of them.

His message fails because he's not demonstrating responsible gun ownership. Responsible gun owners don't go carrying around excessive guns just because they can, when they know that the weapons will be regarded as threatening.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
What is it going to take to convince these people that the average person is NOT okay with them openly walking around with large, intimidating weapons on them?

Because... Constitution!

Most people don't actually think about the fact that there are logical limits to provisions in the Bill of Rights.

They see "Freedom of Speech" (which isn't the wording in the document) and translate that into "I can say whatever I want, and you can't do anything about it!" But all the document says is that Congress can't pass any laws abridging your right to free speech. You're still responsible for the words coming out of your mouth and any consequences that arise from them. You still can't yell fire in a crowded theater.

And that's what happens when someone brings a firearm - especially an openly carried, assault-style firearm - into a place where policy says you shouldn't carry them. Especially an airport, where crossing the security check means you're in international territory.

You aren't expressing your right to "bear arms;" you're expressing your own stupidity. You're yelling fire in a theater full of people already terrified of smelling smoke at any moment.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
"There is never anything to fear from peaceful, responsible gun owners."

Maybe.

But a person who thinks it's a good idea to bring an AR-15 to the airport (or coffee shop, restaurant, kids' playground,etc.) is, by my definition, NOT responsible, therefore, must be feared. Who knows what other unreasonable decisions they may make?

ShaunHorton

Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
Because... Constitution!

Most people don't actually think about the fact that there are logical limits to provisions in the Bill of Rights.

They see "Freedom of Speech" (which isn't the wording in the document) and translate that into "I can say whatever I want, and you can't do anything about it!" But all the document says is that Congress can't pass any laws abridging your right to free speech. You're still responsible for the words coming out of your mouth and any consequences that arise from them. You still can't yell fire in a crowded theater.

And that's what happens when someone brings a firearm - especially an openly carried, assault-style firearm - into a place where policy says you shouldn't carry them. Especially an airport, where crossing the security check means you're in international territory.

You aren't expressing your right to "bear arms;" you're expressing your own stupidity. You're yelling fire in a theater full of people already terrified of smelling smoke at any moment.

I like when people have that opinion over Freedom of speech. I like to invite them into a biker bar, insult the mothers of everyone inside, and then see if invoking "Freedom of Speech" will keep them from waking up in a hospital.

JulianneQJohnson

Ferret Herder
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julianneqjohnson.com
Responsible gun owners follow the laws, like not bringing firearms into an airport. What a stupid thing to do! I wouldn't mind that gun owner being locked up. No telling what the next responsible thing he chooses to do would be.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Responsible gun owners follow the laws, like not bringing firearms into an airport. What a stupid thing to do! I wouldn't mind that gun owner being locked up. No telling what the next responsible thing he chooses to do would be.

There's no law against bringing firearms into the Phx airport - he'd done this same thing before, showed up to pick up his wife toting an assault rife, and been talked to but not arrested.

It's not legal in places where it's not legal, like NYC, and it's not legal to board a plane with a weapon that's not allowed, but just in the airport depends upon the city and airport regulations.

As to the rest of it, what DM said.

I don't get what his point would even theoretically be - don't worry when you see random people wandering about with assault rifles? Assume anyone openly armed is a "safe, responsible gun owner?" That doesn't make a lick of sense. I debate his stated premise, but regardless, his stated premise isn't in play, as far as I can see, as there's no way to discern what someone toting weaponry may or may not be intending.

AncientEagle

Old kid, no need to be gentle.
Registered
Reaction score
In addition to the reasons mentioned above that this guy is an idiot, I would point out that even responsible gun owners can have accidents, have weapons stolen or, when shooting the bad guy that they apparently are prepared to take on in a crowded public place, mow down a few innocent bystanders. We are beset by fools.

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
As someone who owns, takes responsibility for, and shoots several types of firearms (targets and sporting clays), I can say without equivocation that dude is not only a fool, he's an irresponsible peckerhead.

Epic fail.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with the prevailing sentiment, here.

Steinmetz removed the rifle from his shoulder, causing the muzzle to face a mother and her 17-year-old daughter, authorities said. They told police they feared for their lives.

[Steinmetz] said Monday that his firearm "was never pointed at anyone" and he was just trying to make a political statement.

I can believe that he had no intention of pointing his gun at anyone.

I can also believe that in the act of taking the rifle from his shoulder, the barrel swung down and was momentarily pointed at bystanders, who became legitimately concerned.

But it's an airport. People everywhere, in all directions, and probably above and below you as well. Some of these people are highly agitated, some nervous, some outright afraid. A lot of people won't even fly these days due to fears of terrorism or because of the security measures enacted to prevent it - or both. Who the hell brings an AR-15 into that mix and then has the gall to talk about how "responsible" they are, especially when there's someone saying, 'yo dude, your gun DID point at me, and it scared the shit out of me'?

Geesh.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com

They know damned well that people aren't okay with it, which is why they do it. Some people live for terrifying others.

Responsible, law abiding gun owners should hate these people too, because they're doing their best their best to turn the public tide against guns.

Last edited:

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
Who the hell brings an AR-15 into that mix and then has the gall to talk about how "responsible" they are, especially when there's someone saying, 'yo dude, your gun DID point at me, and it scared the shit out of me'?

Geesh.

Rude assholes who think their right to bear arms trumps everything else. That's who.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I can believe that he had no intention of pointing his gun at anyone.

I can also believe that in the act of taking the rifle from his shoulder, the barrel swung down and was momentarily pointed at bystanders, who became legitimately concerned.

But it's an airport.

It doesn't matter that it was in an airport in a major city. The last time I encountered anyone walking around with an AR-15 assault rifle it was . . . . . me . . . . in Vietnam, 1969.

This moron doesn't have any reason, or right to assume that observers will know he's a peaceful gun owner meaning no threat to anyone. In plain fact, observers have every reason and right to assume he's a danger, and act accordingly. You see someone walking down the street with a weapon of this sort, you do . . . what?

First, you get the hell out of the area. Second, you call the cops. That is the sensible thing.

Lock his ass up.

caw