The Superhero Support Thread: A Shiny New Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LukeForney

Registered
Reaction score
Death of Wolverine anyone?!

I'm just joining your party-in-progress, so sorry my reply is to an almost week-old comment!

I read Death of Wolverine. I wanted to like it, but I felt like my interest tapered each issue, until with the last one I was completely unsatisfied with the ending. I seem to be in the minority with that opinion though. What were your thoughts?

Nogetsune

Registered
Reaction score
You've likely seen me around the forum asking all kinds of annoying questions. I've been caught in a rut for several years of my life trying to decide whether or not I want to write novels or write manga/comics. Even further, I sank into depression over the issue because I really wanted to write manga, but lacked sufficient funds to partner with an artist and my own art was, well, pretty terrible. However, now, I have obtained the necessary funds and have been corresponding with several artists, so I've decided flat out manga/comics is the medium where I feel I'd most be able to tell the stories I want to tell as I tend to be a very visual person who sees all their stories as an anime playing in their head.

Anyway, enough about the past. The present is a good and exciting time. I have several artists I am corresponding with, and plenty of money saved up. The only issue now is getting my family on board with my schemes. They are not very -trusting- of people met online, and as a result I'll have to make a darn good diplomacy roll to not make them upset that I'm giving people I've never met IRL hundreds of dollars via paypal. Granted, it is money I've made myself so I don't need their grace and approval theoretically, however, being a family-focused person I do need their approval and grace, since I don't want to strain our relationship. However, my family already said they would support any decision I make, so hopefully they can get past their mistrust of the internet....which I think they can. Anyway...my journey as a manga/comic writer is just beginning, so I thought I'd pop in and get to meet some people more experienced then I am with the industry!

As for superheroes, I don't really read much Marvel/DC. I've always been more of a manga kind of guy for pretty much my entire life when it comes to comics, though I do follow Archie's Sonic the Hedgehog comics, which are highly amusing. I also did watch a few superhero cartoons growing up, such as the 90s Batman and Spiderman cartoons, and follow the Marvel and DC film franchises.

scifi_boy2002

Registered
Reaction score
I don't write comics, but my Galactic Seven novels have a comic mentality--for lack of a better word. So, in spirit, I am a comic writer. At least from a classic standpoint.

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone read the old Quantum and Woody comics? The ones from the late 90's, early 2000's?

I picked up the first volume of the Valiant reboot and love it quite a lot, but I'm not sure if I want to go back and read the old stuff and can't seem to find much about it.

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't read Death of Wolverine, and am two movies behind on the X-Men franchise. I think at some point, the mutant side of Marvel just got too big for me so aside from a few characters I still love, I've mostly drifted away from their stuff.

Due to my unadulterated dislike of Wolverine I haven't read most of the relevant comics, but far as the X-Men movies are concerned you may as well stay behind. Sitting through the previews for CA:TWS, someone next to me took note of the Guardians of the Galaxy trailer and said, "Well that's three Marvel movies close together."

I looked over and asked her what the third one was. X-Men: Days of Future Past. I was shocked; I knew it existed, but it hadn't registered to me as Marvel-related or even superhero-related. The Sony-made films just don't.

Every X-Men movie I sit through just makes me increasingly ticked off because they care so little about 1) whether it's entertaining, 2) whether the plot makes sense as far as the standards of movie plots go, and worst of all 3) what kind of message they're sending.

Having sat through it, I'm of the opinion that Days of Future Past was basically, "Bullying WORKS!!! Use it!" in movie form.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
...what I'm interested in is that 75th anniversary omnibus that spawned the whole article. It sounds like a fantastic collection and I want it. I really do.

I wanted. I gotsed. I have the best husband. :heart: Also added the two Superior Foes of Spider-man trade paperbacks, which are quirky and hilarious, to my collection.

Layla Lawlor

Registered
Reaction score
I looked over and asked her what the third one was. X-Men: Days of Future Past. I was shocked; I knew it existed, but it hadn't registered to me as Marvel-related or even superhero-related. The Sony-made films just don't.

Yes! I saw Days of Future Past with my husband, more or less right on the heels of watching Winter Soldier, and we walked out of the theatre going ".... wow, there's just no comparison." I grew up on Marvel comics back in ye olde Claremont/Byrne days, and I'm seriously impressed at what a good job the Marvel movies do of both translating the kinetic energy of superhero comics to the screen (I don't think I've ever seen fight scenes that captured as much of that weightless dynamicism as the CA:TWS fight scenes) while also humanizing the characters and giving you a feel for them as people.

The X-Men movies ... I don't know, it's like they're going through the motions and all the parts are there, but it ends up being a glittering mess. Which is terribly frustrating to me, because I have such fond memories of the X-Men comics and I truly enjoyed the first movie or two in the franchise, but it's been steadily downhill ever since. Whereas the Marvel movies just seem to be getting better and better as they go along.

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
Having sat through it, I'm of the opinion that Days of Future Past was basically, "Bullying WORKS!!! Use it!" in movie form.
Oh dear. *Shifts it down a few more spots in her to-watch list*

I wanted. I gotsed. I have the best husband. :heart: Also added the two Superior Foes of Spider-man trade paperbacks, which are quirky and hilarious, to my collection.
Jealousy incoming :)

The X-Men movies ... I don't know, it's like they're going through the motions and all the parts are there, but it ends up being a glittering mess.
Yeah. I watched a few of the early ones (1 and 2 and Origins I think) and while I genuinely liked 1 and saw bits of the characters I liked in the story, 2 was... less so. And then Origins: Wolverine was all about taking characters I liked and sort of scrambling them into near unrecognizability in service to the "Ain't Wolverine Grand" storyline. (Serious, Deadpool? Gambit? come on, WHAT?) And then I kind of gave up.

Though oddly, I did see The Wolverine when a friend asked me to use a spare ticket they had due to her friend getting sick. And I actually liked that one, ridiculous arrow scene notwithstanding.

Christmas brought me Quantum and Woody books 2 and 3. I am excite.

RemusShepherd

Banned
Flounced
VPXI
Reaction score
Website
remus-shepherd.livejournal.com
Anyone read the old Quantum and Woody comics? The ones from the late 90's, early 2000's?

I picked up the first volume of the Valiant reboot and love it quite a lot, but I'm not sure if I want to go back and read the old stuff and can't seem to find much about it.

I have the first 12 or so issues in a collected edition. It was very, very funny, with great chemistry between the two main characters. I didn't like Quantum and Woody as much once they started relying on the goat for comedy. Haven't seen the new series. I do recommend reading the old one.

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
I have the first 12 or so issues in a collected edition. It was very, very funny, with great chemistry between the two main characters. I didn't like Quantum and Woody as much once they started relying on the goat for comedy. Haven't seen the new series. I do recommend reading the old one.
Awesome, thanks! I'll have to look it up then. :D

Unrelated, I am deeply bothered that the lingering illness from new years has kept me from getting the new Squirrel Girl :(

Maggie Maxwell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Awesome, thanks! I'll have to look it up then. :D

Unrelated, I am deeply bothered that the lingering illness from new years has kept me from getting the new Squirrel Girl :(

Oh man, the Squirrel Girl comic looks awesome. Do want.

I'm freaking out, man. I was planning on getting the Ms. Marvel Vol 1 trade paperback when my birthday rolls around in a few months, but I noticed yesterday that it's gone to Kindle only on Amazon! The only paperback copy for sale is $45!! What's happened?

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score

I'm freaking out, man. I was planning on getting the Ms. Marvel Vol 1 trade paperback when my birthday rolls around in a few months, but I noticed yesterday that it's gone to Kindle only on Amazon! The only paperback copy for sale is $45!! What's happened?
Might have gone out of print, or it might just be Amazon being Amazon. B&N still has it at normal price

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
Hopefully it's just the latter. Thanks for the B&N check, I didn't even think of there for comics.
Blame it on my being one of the apparently few people in the world with a Nook. (Which I absolutely love). I was actually considering getting Ms. Marvel a few weeks ago before my sister was all "Oh for heaven's sake, I have the issues and the trade, which one do you want to read?" And I thought I'd remembered seeing the hard copy price when I was debating.

Maggie Maxwell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Blame it on my being one of the apparently few people in the world with a Nook. (Which I absolutely love). I was actually considering getting Ms. Marvel a few weeks ago before my sister was all "Oh for heaven's sake, I have the issues and the trade, which one do you want to read?" And I thought I'd remembered seeing the hard copy price when I was debating.

I don't usually mind having a comic eBook, but for this one, I just really want a physical copy. Considering Vol2 is due to come out soon, I can't imagine the first one would go out of print yet.

Oh, by the way, Humble Bundle has an AMAZING Image comics bundle right now. $18 for 20 books, including 16 Vol1 trades, 1 preview book, 1 companion book, and 2 compendiums (Saga issues 1-18 and Walking Dead 1-48). I haven't been disappointed by a single one in the set yet.

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever seen fight scenes that captured as much of that weightless dynamicism as the CA:TWS fight scenes

Yes. So much yes.

As an avid athlete myself, I could pretty near weep tears of aesthetic joy at the combat scenes in CA:TWS.

while also humanizing the characters and giving you a feel for them as people.

Also yes.

With the changeup of writers every few years per comic and the retconning and shuffling, it can take quite a while to get attached to characters. But ask any non-comic-reading person who's seen the Marvel movies who their favourite Avenger is and they will have an answer.

Also I am amazed at the number of my fellow Canadians I see walking around in Captain America t-shirts and other Cap-related things (shield backpack!) since CA:TFA came out, maybe a dozen or so per year, whereas I saw maybe 2 in all the time I was a Cap fan before that movie.

Squirrel Girl ftw.

The X-Men movies ... I don't know, it's like they're going through the motions and all the parts are there, but it ends up being a glittering mess.

From what I hear, that's exactly what's happening. Sony has to keep making those movies for the sake of holding onto the relevant copyrights.

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
The latest Order of the Stick hard copy book is now mine! And I love it! And I love reading it!

But MAN is it heavy. Ever have a book you generally read lying down because when you sit up, you hold the book up and it weighs too much for that to be comfortable?

Maggie Maxwell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
The latest Order of the Stick hard copy book is now mine! And I love it! And I love reading it!

But MAN is it heavy. Ever have a book you generally read lying down because when you sit up, you hold the book up and it weighs too much for that to be comfortable?

I know what you mean. The Marvel 75th collection is a little short of 1000 pages. It's pretty much "book in lap only"-sized.

Mr. Maxwell picked me up a "just because" gift of the new Mighty Avengers 1 & 2 trades (The one led by Luke Cage). Short collections, but an amazing range of characters that's gotten me hyped for the upcoming Netflix series.

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
I know what you mean. The Marvel 75th collection is a little short of 1000 pages. It's pretty much "book in lap only"-sized.

Mr. Maxwell picked me up a "just because" gift of the new Mighty Avengers 1 & 2 trades (The one led by Luke Cage). Short collections, but an amazing range of characters that's gotten me hyped for the upcoming Netflix series.
that book is amazing, but yes, also a beast. :D

And thank you for reminding me that I need to bug my sister for Mighty Avengers. :) We always discuss when things start that we both want, who will get which subscription since there's no point getting two while we live together. But the upshot is, we both tend to read our stuff, then stack it for later sorting and sharing.... and then forget. As alluded to above, it took me ages to get Ms. Marvel, and I still don't think she's finished the last Gambit run.

Thuro

I'm Batman
Registered
Reaction score
Welp I just X-Men Days of Future past. Loved it. But it wasn't nearly as good Guardians of the Galaxy.

Spoiler
You, me, dance off.
What are you doing? What are you doing?

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
So, Milestone comics may be coming back? I wonder what that's going to mean for their characters that DC was using. (Well, mostly Static)

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
So, I know only the first half of most of them are out, but anyone who's reading them, which Convergence books have been good so far? I really liked the JLI and Booster Gold ones, and appreciated that the latter was a little different.

GOTHOS

Registered
Reaction score
Yes. So much yes.

As an avid athlete myself, I could pretty near weep tears of aesthetic joy at the combat scenes in CA:TWS.

Also yes.

With the changeup of writers every few years per comic and the retconning and shuffling, it can take quite a while to get attached to characters. But ask any non-comic-reading person who's seen the Marvel movies who their favourite Avenger is and they will have an answer.

Also I am amazed at the number of my fellow Canadians I see walking around in Captain America t-shirts and other Cap-related things (shield backpack!) since CA:TFA came out, maybe a dozen or so per year, whereas I saw maybe 2 in all the time I was a Cap fan before that movie.

Squirrel Girl ftw.

From what I hear, that's exactly what's happening. Sony has to keep making those movies for the sake of holding onto the relevant copyrights.

I'll stick a toe in to see if this old thread can be re-warmed.

Anyone who liked the fight-scenes in CATWS ought to go bonkers over the ones in this year's CACW. The big airport battle is the closest cinema has ever come to duplicating Jack Kirby's facility with chaotic combat-scenes dealing with a diverse assortment of weird super-powers.

Maggie Maxwell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Ooh, I had forgotten about this thread. Good find, Gothos!

Man, I loved CA:CW. Course, I've loved every Marvel movie except for, like, the Hulk one (Ruffalo is so much better than Norton. Nothing against Norton, I just couldn't really believe him as Banner.)

Status
Not open for further replies.