The Superhero Support Thread: A Shiny New Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thuro

I'm Batman
Registered
Reaction score
So a brand new Shiny mod approved Social thread.

Whether you write Comics or read comics you are welcome here. Everyone else has to leave (naa I'll let you in anyways). Think of it as a combo support group and social thread where you can post the random stuff on you're mind. Just be cool with each other.

So socialize.

Batman Out.

Last edited:

Thuro

I'm Batman
Registered
Reaction score
Pet Avengers huh? Saw that once. Thought about getting it, but then I decided to buy Deadpool Corp stead.

Anyone had time to read the new Firefly comic? It takes place after the movie Serenity. I'm pretty psyched. Just gotta get some money.

Komic Brew

Banned
Reaction score
Hi all. I read comics. And I write some, too. :)
Last one I read : Batman/Judge Dredd. Awesome (or should I say frag-tastic?) :)

Thuro

I'm Batman
Registered
Reaction score
Hi KomicBrew. When you get those last five messages I'd to see what you written, if you want to share.

So how is everyone this evening?

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
With "support" in the subject line, I half-expected to see a PayPal Donate button. :)

My name is Derek and (ashamed) I make webcomics. There's just something nostalgic about comics that I can't find in prose. A throwback to my childhood when a pal and me made terrible comics all day long, perhaps. Or maybe it's just the instant gratification of uploading/self-pubbing, avoiding the whole business of querying and submitting to editors, etc. And watching the visitor/pageload stats changing every day, mystically, hypnotically.

So, hello fellow comic writers/artists/makers. Write on!

-Derek

Komic Brew

Banned
Reaction score
Hi Thuro, yes of course I will share, that's the whole idea I guess :)
you can check here on Komic Brew, there are some pages available, we're updating daily. Mine are Tales from Beyond the Wall of Sleep, and Coran's Quest. Cheers!

Derek, give us a link please, webcomics are cool ;)

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
A support group? Just what I needed. Because if I have to glee over the fact that both Booster Gold and Rich Rider are allegedly going to be back in comics in September. <3

I'm hoping I'll still be excited about Booster once I read it since, you know, new 52 and his appearances since the reboot have sort of been confusing with the uncertainty of what history happened and what didn't. but Rich... man, I've been waiting for this for like four years. *Swoons into a free beanbag chair*

Derek, nothing to be ashamed of! Web comics are awesome, and I firmly believe the more, the merrier. (And not *entirely* because my sister does two and I occasionally write prose side-stories for her)

Ahem. So, enough gleeing all over like a three-year-old with her first sidewalk chalk. what's everyone reading? I've started a reread of Exiles right now, and probably following that with the Ryan Choi Atom series.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Pet Avengers huh? Saw that once. Thought about getting it, but then I decided to buy Deadpool Corp stead.

Anyone had time to read the new Firefly comic? It takes place after the movie Serenity. I'm pretty psyched. Just gotta get some money.

I loved the Marvel movies, but Pet Avengers is what really restarted my comic obsession. I got them for my husband, and I've ended up reading them more! I mean, come on, the first one's a bunch of super-animals (and Ms. Lion, Aunt May's [male] pooch) racing Thanos to the infinity gems. What's not to like?

Hi all. I read comics. And I write some, too. :)
Last one I read : Batman/Judge Dredd. Awesome (or should I say frag-tastic?) :)

The one with the Riddler and fighting to the death? I read that one not too long ago myself. :)

With "support" in the subject line, I half-expected to see a PayPal Donate button. :)

My name is Derek and (ashamed) I make webcomics. There's just something nostalgic about comics that I can't find in prose. A throwback to my childhood when a pal and me made terrible comics all day long, perhaps. Or maybe it's just the instant gratification of uploading/self-pubbing, avoiding the whole business of querying and submitting to editors, etc. And watching the visitor/pageload stats changing every day, mystically, hypnotically.

So, hello fellow comic writers/artists/makers. Write on!

-Derek

That's nothing to be ashamed of at all! I've always admired webcomic artist and writers' ability to pump out quality work so fast. I'm addicted to the things.

I mostly read webcomics and trade paperbacks. Whenever I go to the comic store, I can never find the ones I want, so I just wait for the collections. Eagerly awaiting the new Ms. Marvel TP.

Komic Brew

Banned
Reaction score
The one with the Riddler and fighting to the death? I read that one not too long ago myself. :)
Yeah, there were four stories in the one I read, the Riddler one was third, I still haven't read the one with the Joker, so far the Riddler one is my favorite. I love the humor & violence part that Judge Dredd brings to the stories.

Maggie Maxwell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Yeah, there were four stories in the one I read, the Riddler one was third, I still haven't read the one with the Joker, so far the Riddler one is my favorite. I love the humor & violence part that Judge Dredd brings to the stories.

Oh man, mine only has the Riddler. I'll have to look up the others.

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
*Carefully adds this to her list of books to look for at the local comic con next month*

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
pet Avengers? Is it a kid's comic?

I grew up in the Silver Age and still think those are the best comics evah. I'm slowly trying to rebuild my collection via eBay.

I read new comics rather sporadically. $4 per book puts a hurtin on my wallet. Not sure how they expect to bring in the next generation of readers at those prices. My oldest, 18 going on 30, is getting into the New 52 and catching up via the graphic novel anthologies.

Me, I've been reading some of Dynamite's "Gold Key" line, where they're rebooting "Turok," "Magnus, Robot Fighter," "Doctor Solar" and so on.

Maggie Maxwell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
pet Avengers? Is it a kid's comic?

It's a few storylines following some of the animal companions of Marvel: Lockjaw, a giant, teleporting bulldog belonging to the Inhumans; Frog-Thor/Throg, a human-turned-frog-turned-Mjolnir-wielder, not to be confused with Thor-turned-frog; Niels/Hairball, a cat with kinetic energy powers, partner of Speedball; Lockheed, Kitty Pryde's alien dragon partner; Redwing, Falcon's falcon; Zabu, the sabretooth tiger companion of Ka-Zar; and Ms. Lion, May Parker's completely normal puppy. The first storyline has them racing Thanos to the Infinity Gems, culminating in an all-out brawl with the titan.

There are a few other Pet Avengers storylines, but that's the main one. It was like, 4 or 5 issues total. Just as good quality as any traditional comic.

Last edited:

Thuro

I'm Batman
Registered
Reaction score
*Carefully adds this to her list of books to look for at the local comic con next month*

Lucky. I have to hop on a plane for mine. I haven't got to go yet.

So how is everyone this evening?

Edit: Komic Brew, Good start. I like it.

Last edited:

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
I started reading comics in the late 09s, early 2000s. I read some manga back then, too. Cardcaptor Sakura, FAKE (LOVED FAKE), Magic Knight Earth (or something like that), Naruto, YuGiOh, Sailor Moon, Pokemon, Peach Girl, etc.

I also read some old comics (Silver Age and some Golden Age, I think?). I'm now collecting and reading collected reprint trade backs of those old superhero comics, like SpiderMan, Legion of Superheroes, SuperGirl, Batman, Amethyst (speling?), etc.
However, I prefer watching DC/Marvel cartoons over reading the new DC/Marvel stuff, nowadays. Too much rebooting to keep up with, lol.

A few years ago, I was reading Transformers comics (both old and new), but now I can't keep up with the constant rebooting. I just watched (and re-watched) Transformers Beast Wars, Beast Machines, Animated, and Prime, instead. :)

I was also collecting both the tradebacks of the old GI Joe series and the newer GI Joe series (including the continuation of the old series, though I haven't kept up with it recently).

OMG, forgot to add, Elfquest is one of my fav comic series of all time. :) That's such an emotional series. I loved the artwork and the characters, the adventures.

Currently, I'm trying to collect the Sonic the Hedgehog and Knuckles the Echidna Archives. :)

Last edited:

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
Lucky. I have to hop on a plane for mine. I haven't got to go yet.
That sucks. :( I'm lucky to be about 25 min down the road from Baltimore (And this year Dan Jurgens is scheduled to be there, which has me more excited than I've ever been for a comic con.)

Magic Knight Earth (or something like that)
Probably Magic Knights Rayearth? Oh CLAMP....

However, I prefer watching DC/Marvel cartoons over reading the new DC/Marvel stuff, nowadays. Too much rebooting to keep up with, lol.
It doesn't help that DC especially just makes excellent animated stuff. Makes it easy to prefer the shows to the comics. :)

Marvel is getting better though. I thought Earth's Mightiest Heroes was excellent.

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
Probably Magic Knights Rayearth? Oh CLAMP....

It doesn't help that DC especially just makes excellent animated stuff. Makes it easy to prefer the shows to the comics. :)

Marvel is getting better though. I thought Earth's Mightiest Heroes was excellent.

Yes! Magic Knight Rayearth. That's the one. :)

Yeah, I enjoyed (and still enjoyed) watching the animated DC stuff, like Batman: The Animated Series, Batman Beyond, Justice League (and Unlimited), Legion of Superheroes, Teen Titans (NOT the current slapstick-y deformed one), Young Justice, and Green Lantern (the CGI tv series).

My family was more into DC compared to Marvel, probably because of the cartoons and Gold?/Silver Age comics.

Well, my sister did like the Daredevil live-action movie.

Cartoon-wise, Spectactular Spider-Man was pretty good. I don't like the new series as much. X-Men Evolution was also good. The (first two) Spider-Man movies with Tobey were good.

Of course, nowadays, we do watch the Marvel movies ever since the Iron Man movie with Robert Downey Jr. :D Besides the Dark Knight and Dark Knight Rises, we haven't seen any of the other DC movies. They don't look as fun. They look so...serious, lol. :tongue

Last edited:

Thuro

I'm Batman
Registered
Reaction score
A few days ago I saw something strange. A comic book about young Jeffrey Dommer. I can't post my thoughts as they would be censored. So I'm going with....What?

RemusShepherd

Banned
Flounced
VPXI
Reaction score
Website
remus-shepherd.livejournal.com
I'm always shy about posting in support threads/forums when I don't need support. My comic is chugging along fine. There's a lot to do to prepare for publication, but I don't think anybody can help me with it.

Anyway, hi there. :)

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
Oh my gods. Oh my gods. Oh my many, mighty, multiple gods.

I am so glad I found this thread! Superheroes are my life. And so are support groups. And support threads. Word.

So, I read a lot of comics. Enough that my brain turns to goo. Mostly I stick to the mainstream, and primarily Marvel, just in a futile effort to contain my addiction. But there are specific creators I sorta follow around from project to project too.

I also... Well, I can't quite say I write comics yet because nobody draws them, mostly because I actually have not yet managed to developed my visual-spatial skills and knowledge of the artistic process enough to give my artist cousin enough info to work with. But I script comics for when that someday happens- trippy Canadian-centric body-positive superhero comics set in a universe with a consistent system of how superpowers work that sort of incorporates my quasi-animistic beliefs. It's not as weird as it sounds, I swear.

Oh. And I watch superhero cartoons. ALL the superhero cartoons. Well, okay, almost all of them. Even the crummy ones that are more fun to make fun of. But mostly the awesome ones.

You didn't THINK that. You KNEW that. It is an indisputable fact that EMH is one of the best cartoons ever made.

Status
Not open for further replies.